• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: How to use a *spoon* apostrophe

135 posts in this topic

It is tru tht splling corrctly is unmprtant n relayng yor ideas. Anyon can reed a sntance if put frth in a logicl mannr. The brane flls in all th blanks and mks the corrctions neccessry for yu tu ndrstand it. :grin:

Bt it dsn't mn it's prpr.

Also, as far as annoying. Try always freaking having to be the person to figure out a 15 percent or 20 percent tip on a 35 dollar food bill. Grammar Nagger will probably give a $10 bill just to be safe because they can't do a simple math problem in their freaking head. So when Grammar Nagger learns how to give a proper tip without asking for my help than come, and criticize the way I write.

$5.25 or $7.50, assuming you aren't tipping on the tax as well.

When would you like your criticism to start?

Also, as far as annoying. Try always freaking having to be the person to figure out a 15 percent or 20 percent tip on a 35 dollar food bill. Grammar Nagger will probably give a $10 bill just to be safe because they can't do a simple math problem in their freaking head. So when Grammar Nagger learns how to give a proper tip without asking for my help than come, and criticize the way I write.

$7 doh!

$7 doh!

lol

The easiest way to figure this in my mind is to take 10% of 35 which is $3.50 and multiply it by 2 to get 20%. 3.5 x 2 = $7.00

l have a tip calculator on my phone for just that reason, lol

$7 doh!

lol

$7 doh!

lol

The easiest way to figure this in my mind is to take 10% of 35 which is $3.50 and multiply it by 2 to get 20%. 3.5 x 2 = $7.00

What if you only wanted to leave 18%? :grin:

You know what the ironic thing about these grammar naggers is? Most of them are horrible with basic math. Ask any of these naggers what 12 times 17 is. Either they will stand there dumbfounded, or they will have to get a pencil and paper to answer the question.

Please site examples and explain exactly how this constitutes irony. :baiting:

It's ironic because the Grammar Naggers always equate this as a lack of intelligence. Well I could equate their lack of math skills as a lack of intelligence as well. Grammar Naggers maybe able to write a book, but they can't even hold a job at McDonald's because they can't even give out correct change.

And there is a the rub. Bad grammar is still functional. The person may have bad grammar, but you get the gist of what they are saying. The person with bad math skills is not functional in our society. If I give you a fifty dollar bill for a 32 dollar purchase, and that person turns around and gives me 28 dollars back, than we have a problem. So the irony is that the Grammar Naggar quite often has an I.Q. lower than the person they are chastising. If you can't understand how that is ironic, than I feel bad for you.

I'm curious as to which scientific studies you borrowed these 'facts' from? (shrug)

My experience, as a long-time employer of many young adults, is that poor language and poor math skills tend to go hand in hand, a reflection of disinterest during school, or a generally low IQ.

l have a tip calculator on my phone for just that reason, lol

This is a joke, right? :eek:

$7 doh!

lol

What if you only wanted to leave 18%? :grin:

Same simple logic:

10% of 35 is $3.50

1% of 35 is $0.35

So if 20% of $35 is $7.0

just subtract 2X35c or 70c from the total (20%) to get 18%

7dollars minus 70c equals $6.30

I knew this amazing older comic guy at one of the comic shops. He will take a stack with prices in decimals and run it forward and backwards in his head to calculate the total. I've yet to see him make an error.

Why the is there a math class in Comics General?

Do some people really not know their basic math?

Now math is truly a universal language. The playing field is pretty level there, so any form of mocking usage is more acceptable, IMO (no excuse). :whee:

Fair argument. If you're talking transposition of formula I could understand...

Using an apostrophe for pluralization is always wrong.

I looked in my copy of St. Martin's Handbook and it says "An apostrophe and -s are used to form the plural of numbers, letters, symbols, and words referred to as terms"

Two of the examples it gives include:

ABC's

The gymnasts need marks of 8's and 9's to qualify for the finals.

The book also states "The plural of years can be written with or without the apostrophe (1990's or 1990s). Whichever style you follow, be consistent."

Epic Fail! :roflmao:

You know what the ironic thing about these grammar naggers is? Most of them are horrible with basic math. Ask any of these naggers what 12 times 17 is. Either they will stand there dumbfounded, or they will have to get a pencil and paper to answer the question.

Please site examples and explain exactly how this constitutes irony. :baiting:

It's ironic because the Grammar Naggers always equate this as a lack of intelligence. Well I could equate their lack of math skills as a lack of intelligence as well. Grammar Naggers maybe able to write a book, but they can't even hold a job at McDonald's because they can't even give out correct change.

And there is a the rub. Bad grammar is still functional. The person may have bad grammar, but you get the gist of what they are saying. The person with bad math skills is not functional in our society. If I give you a fifty dollar bill for a 32 dollar purchase, and that person turns around and gives me 28 dollars back, than we have a problem. So the irony is that the Grammar Naggar quite often has an I.Q. lower than the person they are chastising. If you can't understand how that is ironic, than I feel bad for you.

I think my IQ just dropped from reading this astoundingly ridiculous statement.

But, sure, if you want to believe that people who know how to express themselves through the written word are somehow (magically?) unable to do math that wouldn't stump my 7-year old daughter, go right ahead. Whatever makes you sleep well at night (thumbs u

It is tru tht splling corrctly is unmprtant n relayng yor ideas. Anyon can reed a sntance if put frth in a logicl mannr. The brane flls in all th blanks and mks the corrctions neccessry for yu tu ndrstand it. :grin:

Bt it dsn't mn it's prpr.

No.....its nt prpr, but it wrks, nd nywy......u gt the pnt. I thnk this is smthing lke fnetics, or smthing ...... :acclaim: