• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: How to use a *spoon* apostrophe

135 posts in this topic

You know what the ironic thing about these grammar naggers is? Most of them are horrible with basic math. Ask any of these naggers what 12 times 17 is. Either they will stand there dumbfounded, or they will have to get a pencil and paper to answer the question.

Please site examples and explain exactly how this constitutes irony. :baiting:

It's ironic because the Grammar Naggers always equate this as a lack of intelligence. Well I could equate their lack of math skills as a lack of intelligence as well. Grammar Naggers maybe able to write a book, but they can't even hold a job at McDonald's because they can't even give out correct change.

And there is a the rub. Bad grammar is still functional. The person may have bad grammar, but you get the gist of what they are saying. The person with bad math skills is not functional in our society. If I give you a fifty dollar bill for a 32 dollar purchase, and that person turns around and gives me 28 dollars back, than we have a problem. So the irony is that the Grammar Naggar quite often has an I.Q. lower than the person they are chastising. If you can't understand how that is ironic, than I feel bad for you.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you have terrible grammar but excellent math skills? (shrug)

Nice retort, Homer. (thumbs u

It is similar to how Professors and the media collectively gripe

that the generation 50 years ago performed much better on a comprehensive

history exam. Well of course they did! Try going back in time and giving them an exam on stochastic calculus with convex optimization. I doubt they'd fare as well as the modern generation. The modern generation is drowning in a sea of information.

That wasn't the case 50 yrs ago.

However, if you can be astute in both areas (language and math), the world is your oyster.

:roflmao:

History was so much easier 50 years ago - there was nowhere near as much stuff to learn.

lol

history exam. Well of course they did! Try going back in time and giving them an exam on stochastic calculus with convex optimization. I doubt they'd fare as well as the modern generation. The modern generation is drowning in a sea of information.

However, if you can be astute in both areas (language and math), the world is your oyster.

History was so much easier 50 years ago - there was nowhere near as much stuff to learn.

lol

I politely was looking the other way at this part. It's Christmas.

lol

Well, sir, you have a generosity of spirit that I simply could not muster, regardless of the season.

Hey, that's another peeve - "irregardless" doh!

lol

Yes, Please do get a hold of the myriad mass of naysayers who seem to have missed this most obvious point (that you have brilliantly uncovered), and educate them on their lack of insight. You might even get a Nobel Prize for the effort! Or maybe not. lol

My children assure me that 'ginormous' is a word and I have seen it in common writing. Isn't English grand?

I laughed when I heard a few months ago this word was officially added to the dictionary.

Even the National Public Radio interviewer asked if this was right.

lol

It is tru tht splling corrctly is unmprtant n relayng yor ideas. Anyon can reed a sntance if put frth in a logicl mannr. The brane flls in all th blanks and mks the corrctions neccessry for yu tu ndrstand it. :grin:

Tupenny likes new words as long as they are used appropriately, according to their given definitions.

Pwned has been Tupenny's new word of the month.

NOBU on greggy @ SDCC2010, pwned!

Tupenny likes new words as long as they are used appropriately, according to their given definitions.

Pwned has been Tupenny's new word of the month.

NOBU on greggy @ SDCC2010, pwned!

NOBU on greggy as in greggy is going to pay :banana: or

literally NOBU on greggy :sick: as in:

http://www.foodmall.org/entry/body-sushi-sushi-served-on-the-semi-nude-torso-of-a-woman/

Also, as far as annoying. Try always freaking having to be the person to figure out a 15 percent or 20 percent tip on a 35 dollar food bill. Grammar Nagger will probably give a $10 bill just to be safe because they can't do a simple math problem in their freaking head. So when Grammar Nagger learns how to give a proper tip without asking for my help than come, and criticize the way I write.

Somebody seems a bit touchy today.

I don't know that I would be considered a Grammar Nagger in general, just having fun with this thread, but for what it's worth I'm quite good at mental math, and am always the one who has to calculate the tip and how to split the bill for a group lunch, a task not nearly as challenging as figuring the implied odds of calling a given bet on a draw in poker game.

lol

Well, sir, you have a generosity of spirit that I simply could not muster, regardless of the season.

Hey, that's another peeve - "irregardless" doh!

(worship)

Yup...irregardless, a classic of modern dumbassery.

And my personal favourite...

"I'll take a different tact." doh!

It's not tact, you ing monkey, it's TACK!!! :mad:

And I'll say this again, as I've said it before...

Here, the written word is the only way to communicate your true meaning and intent. When talking on the phone, you use pauses, stresses and tone to convey your meaning. In person, you can also add in to the mix body language and gestures.

Here it's simply the written word and failure to utilise it correctly is not only fraught with danger, but is also disrespectful and plain dumb.

And I'll say this again, as I've said it before...

Here, the written word is the only way to communicate your true meaning and intent. When talking on the phone, you use pauses, stresses and tone to convey your meaning. In person, you can also add in to the mix body language and gestures.

Here it's simply the written word and failure to utilise it correctly is not only fraught with danger, but is also disrespectful and plain dumb.

The problem with this reasoning (and the thread in general) is a blatant disregard for those who were not raised under the same language system. I've been working with someone who speaks English as a 4th language (he learned it after 40). Now, his grammar is not the best-- yet, his mathematical reasoning and fictional prose (in English) would put many here to shame. Have a good laugh, but he is a prodigy in several fields.

Like it or not, the world is becoming smaller in many ways. Get used to it and adapt.

It is ok to have peeves about language and grammar, but I view it as an underlying fear of change and disorder, which may not be the best attribute to have in the upcoming years.

The obvious grammatical errors, such as "loose" vs. "lose" are not caught by spell and grammar checkers, so that is why they tend to pop up more frequently. At least give the writers credit for making the effort to utilize such tools. No one is proud of bad grammar, but everyone's learning and experience is unique to begin with.

I come across a lot of UK grammar that could irk me, like "humor" vs. "humour".

But it's just another example of both individuals being correct in their own language, yet, one might mock the other due to misguided arrogance.

You know what the ironic thing about these grammar naggers is? Most of them are horrible with basic math. Ask any of these naggers what 12 times 17 is. Either they will stand there dumbfounded, or they will have to get a pencil and paper to answer the question.

It's 204. And, using a piece of paper and pencil (or a calculator) is just the equivalent of looking up a correct word usage... :baiting:

And while we're at it, my pet peeves are:

"I gave him a peace of my mind" and "For all intensive purposes"

lol

My pet peeves are "loose" instead of "lose" and "for sell" instead of "for sale"