• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: How to use a *spoon* apostrophe

135 posts in this topic

You know what the ironic thing about these grammar naggers is? Most of them are horrible with basic math. Ask any of these naggers what 12 times 17 is. Either they will stand there dumbfounded, or they will have to get a pencil and paper to answer the question.

Please site examples and explain exactly how this constitutes irony. :baiting:

It's ironic because the Grammar Naggers always equate this as a lack of intelligence. Well I could equate their lack of math skills as a lack of intelligence as well. Grammar Naggers maybe able to write a book, but they can't even hold a job at McDonald's because they can't even give out correct change.

And there is a the rub. Bad grammar is still functional. The person may have bad grammar, but you get the gist of what they are saying. The person with bad math skills is not functional in our society. If I give you a fifty dollar bill for a 32 dollar purchase, and that person turns around and gives me 28 dollars back, than we have a problem. So the irony is that the Grammar Naggar quite often has an I.Q. lower than the person they are chastising. If you can't understand how that is ironic, than I feel bad for you.

I think my IQ just dropped from reading this astoundingly ridiculous statement.

But, sure, if you want to believe that people who know how to express themselves through the written word are somehow (magically?) unable to do math that wouldn't stump my 7-year old daughter, go right ahead. Whatever makes you sleep well at night (thumbs u

in homerwannabe's world, it's either one or the other. an ability to do rudimentary math or write on a fifth grade level. can't do both at the same time, it's just impossible!

i thought that it was nice for him to call out people without any proof, using his iron-clad intuition and reason gleaned from decades of study of the human condition. i mean, i have words people typed as evidence of what i'm criticising. he must have the gift of farsight or something.

or he could just be pulling stuff out of his arse because the initial criticism hit a wee bit too close to home. if i had his gifts, i would make a statement one way or the other, but i don't. so i will leave that up to the reader

You know what the ironic thing about these grammar naggers is? Most of them are horrible with basic math. Ask any of these naggers what 12 times 17 is. Either they will stand there dumbfounded, or they will have to get a pencil and paper to answer the question.

It's 204. And, using a piece of paper and pencil (or a calculator) is just the equivalent of looking up a correct word usage... :baiting:

And while we're at it, my pet peeves are:

"I gave him a peace of my mind" and "For all intensive purposes"

lol

My pet peeves are "loose" instead of "lose" and "for sell" instead of "for sale"

Oh jeeze I just posted that exact thing (been meaning to for a couple of days now) and after quickly scanning the unread messages I see yours. But I shall leave mine up as it is just too too.

It's ironic because the Grammar Naggers always equate this as a lack of intelligence. Well I could equate their lack of math skills as a lack of intelligence as well. Grammar Naggers maybe able to write a book, but they can't even hold a job at McDonald's because they can't even give out correct change.

And there is a the rub. Bad grammar is still functional. The person may have bad grammar, but you get the gist of what they are saying. The person with bad math skills is not functional in our society. If I give you a fifty dollar bill for a 32 dollar purchase, and that person turns around and gives me 28 dollars back, than we have a problem. So the irony is that the Grammar Naggar quite often has an I.Q. lower than the person they are chastising. If you can't understand how that is ironic, than I feel bad for you.

At the risk of being made a laughing stock here, I will debate your posting with a little true story.

Once when I typed an arrest report, I wrote that "I recanted" when I should of wrote that "I recounted". No one caught it up through the chain of command.

Then the following year when the robber came to trial, my testimony was thrown out because I had reported that I "recanted" instead of "recounted". He got off, because the Judge was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I believe that the Judge was a former high school math teacher.

(okay, I made that last sentence up for laughs, but the rest is a true story). :)

in homerwannabe's world, it's either one or the other. an ability to do rudimentary math or write on a fifth grade level. can't do both at the same time, it's just impossible!

i thought that it was nice for him to call out people without any proof, using his iron-clad intuition and reason gleaned from decades of study of the human condition. i mean, i have words people typed as evidence of what i'm criticising. he must have the gift of farsight or something.

or he could just be pulling stuff out of his arse because the initial criticism hit a wee bit too close to home. if i had his gifts, i would make a statement one way or the other, but i don't. so i will leave that up to the reader

:hi: Merry Christmas Sal :foryou:

If I give you a fifty dollar bill for a 32 dollar purchase, and that person turns around and gives me 28 dollars back, than we have a problem.

I wouldn't consider an extra $10 in my pocket a problem. :shrug:

Every time this subject comes up, I post this link: Apostrophe Now! .

One sentence from that diatribe sums it up beautifully;

"Embrace the delicious irony of writing something on a computer attached to the world's largest system of information access, and still not being bothered to spell correctly.".

Come on, people. Firefox even has a built-in spellchecker.

I hate these threads started by anal retents

Then dont reeed dem.

Spulling not as empoortunt as beeble sez it is. Or sumfin.

I didnt read it. I just read the title and added a meaningless comment on the butt end of the whole thing. It's my way.