• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I dropped my soap in GrahamCrackers shower

187 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, here's the reality. There are several big name, big time dealers (and not necessarily the ones at issue here) who intentionally sell restored books as unrestored. It happens all the time. Some of these are dealers we know and like from a personal standpoint. I'm not talking about "slipping through the cracks" or they just aren't sure, I'm talking about ones who are told that there is resto on the books and still attempt to sell it as unrestored (I've seen this personally happen and had it happen where I returned books and they were later sold to other parties as unrestored).

Foolkiller, i have just read through all these many pages and am surprised that although the thread has gone on for so long, no one has asked for specifics to your post above.

Who are these dealers, have they been named ?

Why is no one mentioning them ?

Everyone is talking about GCC (to some length), but no one seems to be concerned about these others dealers. Given what has been said in this thread, i would have thought that people would have latched onto your statement, or is it fear or alienating themselves from these big time dealers that is preventing everyone from doing so.

I think the names are well known and have been for some time. (thumbs u

They are not well known to me, so can i ask for the thread where these people are named please.

A 'name names' thread isn't going to end well. You will get a number of the 'serial offenders' listed, but you will also end up with a lot more generally innocent dealers with whom folk have personal beefs that are not necessarily shared, or supported by weight of evidence.

This thread appears to be a perfect example of that. :(

I understand what you are saying but i am refering back to Foolkillers post where he is not spectulating or relying on 3rd party information, "(I've seen this personally happen and had it happen where I returned books and they were later sold to other parties as unrestored)"

If that is indeed the case, surely it justifies an "outing" on the boards just as much as Gracham Crackers, maybe moreso as it is blatantly intentional. Holding this kind of information back is not for the benefit of the masses, so again i ask, who are these dealers ?

You know it amazes me that this is still being ignored when Foolkiller and a bunch of others are talking about restoration issues to do with a thread on the sales forum....

:whistle:

JohnRobinson or David (dopy02),

Did Brain (Grahamcrackers Ebay Sales) agree to refund and tell David (dopy02) to send the book in for a refund, but after receiving it JohnRobinson (co-owner of Graham Crackers) decided not to issue the refund and just shipped the book back to David (dopy02)?

Thanks

The part about not being much money is true. I sent the following e-mail to Jamie. It was read a week ago and no reply.

Hey Jamie, I have a problem with a book I purchased from grahamcrackers on ebay. You do not know me and I only know you from the cgc message board. The book I purchased was a FF # 49 VF. Just back from cgc restored, top edge trimmed. I spoke with Brian(grahamcrackers ebay sales) and returned the book for a refund. He returned the book back to me and said because it had been almost 2 years since date of purchase there would be no refund. I am contacting you since your name is on the door to see if you will help me. The book has a very distinctive mark in pen, capital letter N inside the big yellow F of Fantastic. The book was in your online store for several months and then moved to ebay auction where I won it. I am enclosing the paypal payment information along with the original grahamcrackers scan and a scan of the cgc book. Thank you, David

For those who don't know, which I'm assuming is all of you, I am the co-owner of Graham Crackers Comics and I'm the guy who made the call on not refunding a two year old purchase.

I'm fairly shocked by the wide range of responses to this situation, but wanted to publicly clarify how/why I came about my decision, be it right or wrong in each of yours eyes.

We try our best to treat customers exactly how we feel we should be treated. I try and respond to e-mails as quickly as humanly possible - we prioritize problems with orders to the top of the 'to do" list and try and be as forthcoming and as honest (without being insulting) with each customer we deal with.

We do NOT TRIM comics, nor have we ever. Does a trimmed comic slip past us, absolutely this can happen, can a restored book slip past, yes. If someone ends up getting one from us that was not noted - we will of course allow them to return it within a reasonable amount of time.

DAVID OAKLEY purchased an FF #49 from us on eBay listed as VF 8.0 2nd app. Silver Surfer for $100.99 on December 7th, of 2007.

I felt 2 years later, after David had tried to sell the comic himself and had no luck and recently got it CGC'ed to see if that would help - it was no longer within any kind of fair statue of limitations. Can you return any items that cost $100 2 years later? You ipod freezes up on you 2 years later will someone take it back? You discover a crack in your Halmiton Star Trek collectors plate that you bought that you never noticed - can you return it for a full refund? Evidently a LOT of you feel the dealers should carry the burden of risk entirely, even if it's for 20 years - they should stand behind any book they sell and hope that each of the customers they deal with is honest.

It's a fair opinion, and I try and do that with any and all of our regular customers.

DAVID OKALEY bought 1 comic from me in the past 2 years off of eBay. And he didn't stop buying because he felt he got ripped off on a trimmed book - he only just discovered this 2 years later.

I had no way of knowing this was still our book, or as someone else pointed out if he wanted to clean it up himself with the trim job, tried to sell it and that wasn't working out, nor do I have access to eBay listings which may or may not have listed the books as trimmed in the description. Again, most of these are MOST LIKELY not the case. Just as I would hope more people would assume a dealer would MOST LIKELY not intentionally sell a trimmed book and then seemingly delight in his tricking someone into buying that book - yet so many people jump straight to that false assumption.

Right or wrong, I was the one that made the call that 2 years was too long to be held responsible and decide you want a refund for a book that you haven't had any luck selling or hasn't increased in value as much as you had hopped.

Though If David Oakley would like to exchange it for something else on our site or stores for that dollar amount, we'd be happy to accommodate him.

--John Robinson

GRAHAM CRACKERS COMICS

16030 S. Lincoln Highway Suite #4

Plainfield, IL. 60586 USA

(815) 254-3410 <-- You can call and yell at me in person even!

www.grahamcrackers.com

twitter/gccomics

I am a bit late in tuning into this mess of a thread, but this is an interesting situation. While I can understand their position, from a business perspective I think that GrahamCrackers made a big mistake here in not doing a refund on a relatively inexpensive book in the first place. Is the original $100 worth the negative publicity that has been generated in this thread? Definitely not IMHO.

JohnRobinson or David (dopy02),

Did Brain (Grahamcrackers Ebay Sales) agree to refund and tell David (dopy02) to send the book in for a refund, but after receiving it JohnRobinson (co-owner of Graham Crackers) decided not to issue the refund and just shipped the book back to David (dopy02)?

Thanks

Answer:

Yes. To the best of my knowledge.

But at the time, Brian did not realize it had been almost 2 years since the date of purchase.