• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I dropped my soap in GrahamCrackers shower

187 posts in this topic

So what you're saying is that no dealer should be allowed to sell a raw book, right? (shrug)

No. What I’m saying is that all books should be thoroughly checked for restoration by the dealer prior to sale. Every detail surrounding restoration should be noted and on file ready for disclose whenever a potential buyer asks for it. If a dealer has a hundred thousand comics then instead of processing all of them he should select a thousand to sell and check each thoroughly for resto.

So what you're saying is that no dealer should be allowed to sell a raw book, right? (shrug)

No. What I’m saying is that all books should be thoroughly checked for restoration by the dealer prior to sale. Every detail surrounding restoration should be noted and on file ready for disclose whenever a potential buyer asks for it. If a dealer has a hundred thousand comics then instead of processing all of them he should select a thousand to sell and check each thoroughly for resto.

What you said was...

...but any purchase with him has become a real hassle as the buyer is forced to confirm restoration by using CGC. The buyer shouldn’t have to do this and if the seller isn’t aware of what’s done to the comic HE should be the one sending the book off to CGC; NOT the buyer.

...which means to me that, other than the dealer's own books, bought off the newsstand by himself, he should send every other book he's trying to sell to CGC, as he simply cannot know the history of all the books in his inventory, nor be able to 100% guarantee that nothing's been done to them.

Well I'm just pisst off. I'm angry as hell and I'm not gonna take it any more!

I want my refund for Mound City shipping, and I want my refund from Jamie Graham... and I want them NOW.

I'm entitled to that, aren't I? My indignation for the wronging of others knows no bounds!

(as long as I get a piece of the pie too)

ME TOO!!!

I didn't buy anything from either of those sellers, but I might sometime in future ( or not) but just to be safe I should be reimbursed before I actually "imburse".

I am prepared to collect on behalf of my great grandchildren in case it's 80 or 90 years from now. :wishluck:

BTW, Mrs. Donut and I spent a lovely afternoon with Jamie in his Naperville, Illinois location today, and he says "hi" to all of you. I bought some nice Vault of Horrors from him and admired his well laid out and busy store.

Well I'm just pisst off. I'm angry as hell and I'm not gonna take it any more!

I want my refund for Mound City shipping, and I want my refund from Jamie Graham... and I want them NOW.

I'm entitled to that, aren't I? My indignation for the wronging of others knows no bounds!

(as long as I get a piece of the pie too)

ME TOO!!!

I didn't buy anything from either of those sellers, but I might sometime in future ( or not) but just to be safe I should be reimbursed before I actually "imburse".

I am prepared to collect on behalf of my great grandchildren in case it's 80 or 90 years from now. :wishluck:

BTW, Mrs. Donut and I spent a lovely afternoon with Jamie in his Naperville, Illinois location today, and he says "hi" to all of you. I bought some nice Vault of Horrors from him and admired his well laid out and busy store.

Tell him I want my money!

I usually sit back and just read these boards. But this one. Well I'll just say it caught my eye.

I've known Jamie since he's been in comics and I don't believe he would intentionally sell restored comics.

With that said, I will just say I don't like the way the original poster has used the people of this board for his personal witch hunt. Its all hearsay. A 2 year old deal. Give me a break. What seller would give back money on a deal 2 years old? If Jamie does give a refund that makes him a hero in my eyes.

And the title to this thread. Not a good idea. Thats just an insult to Jamie and his stores. If there were problems to his business because of this I'd worry about legal issues like slander and malicious gossip.

Posters shouldn't use these boards as attacks on a persons business.

Wise up! Listen to the voice of a seasoned collector. I don't believe Jamie deserves this kind of attack on his business.

I'm out of here. Have a Happy New Year.

(thumbs u

Volume is no excuse on big key books.

:applause: THANK YOU.

I tend to agree with this. I might be new to all this but if I have a store or a chain of stores with my name on it I would make sure each of these store either had someone like the people on these boards either working there or consulting on large key purchases. I think if he bought a collection with a ton of high end books and spends thousands of dollars on them I would be looking at them. If the individual at that store cant make a judgement call then send to the store where the owner is to look if this is a good investment of thier cash. :shrug: isnt that your business selling and buying comics?

I live in chicago and seenn thier store. Went in a few times . I bought twice from them. First time just some supplies. The next time I went in it was for some books, and honestly I was treated pretty bad had some book , half weren't priced. Asked for prices and asked if 2 could get pulled out to see the back.

The kid pulled them out and one fell on the floor and he picked it up and creased it. They graded everything like they were 9.6s and when I told him I didnt want the books cause I thought they were priced to high and not graded right. ( escpecially the now creased one) another employee looked at them said they were all fine and these arent his books , they are the owners personal books and are priced accordingly. I walked away and never have come back.

This is just me, but if I buy an expensive raw book from a dealer as an investment, I feel it is MY responsibility to determine if the deal is sound. If I am unable to do that then I should either find a more elementary hobby or be willing to accept the consequences of my decisions. Unless the Dealer flat out guarantees a book to be unrestored BEFORE a sale is consummated, it is certainly not something that one should consider a given. I'm decent at spotting resto....especially AFTER I've purchased a book lol , but I would never guarantee a book to be unrestored unless I knew for a fact that it was original owner and knew the owner. I've occassionally seen CGC give a trimmed designation to books that were NOT trimmed....especially right after the Ewert fiasco....so that's not an ironclad guarantee, which they plainly state on the back of every slab. If you want guaranteed unrestored you should stick to buying books off the stand. To me it is MY responsibility to make sure I'm getting a good deal.....this is the real world and I just can't depend on someone to dress me before I go out in the morning or to hold my hand as I cross the street. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Pardon my banality, but my resto cherry has been popped and I can definitely sympathize. Expertise is acquired over time....usually by learning the hard way....and I'm still not there yet. If your looking for guarantees....try an IRA.

Graham Crackers does not show their grade on anything, so nothing could have been graded 'like 9.6s'

Had this OP been a repeat customer, I'm sure even two years later Graham Crackers would of taken care of this issue right away. This was a one time purchaser, who months later discovered he was unhappy with this book, and didn't buy anything from them in the meantime, expecting a refund. So refusing this refund was perfectly reasonable on Graham Crackers part. The buyer has to assume some responsibility.

I bought a nice Little Archie #10 (at a convention) from a regular poster on this board a few years ago, got home to discover panels cut from two interior pages. Didn't see him at the next couple of cons, when I finally did see him again I forgot to bring it up. The next time I saw him (six or eight months after the purchase) I decided not talking to him about it (or contacting him via mail) I had let to long of time pass to expect him to make good on it. Guess I was silly.

The other deal mentioned, Jamie refunding a buyer on a book he didn't sell to that person is more likely Jamie caring about and protecting the dealer in between, not the purchaser who got the refund from Jamie. This persons claim of I'll never buy from Graham Crackers again means nothing, you never did in the first place! Jamie was silly for not just telling you to go fly a kite!

Graham Crackers Comics is one of the best operations out there and do their best to make people happy (impossible to do for everyone) They always bend over backwards for their repeat customers.

Maybe I'll start a Graham Crackers Comics is awesome thread!

:)

Unfortunately, here's the reality. There are several big name, big time dealers (and not necessarily the ones at issue here) who intentionally sell restored books as unrestored. It happens all the time. Some of these are dealers we know and like from a personal standpoint. I'm not talking about "slipping through the cracks" or they just aren't sure, I'm talking about ones who are told that there is resto on the books and still attempt to sell it as unrestored (I've seen this personally happen and had it happen where I returned books and they were later sold to other parties as unrestored).

Foolkiller, i have just read through all these many pages and am surprised that although the thread has gone on for so long, no one has asked for specifics to your post above.

Who are these dealers, have they been named ?

Why is no one mentioning them ?

Everyone is talking about GCC (to some length), but no one seems to be concerned about these others dealers. Given what has been said in this thread, i would have thought that people would have latched onto your statement, or is it fear or alienating themselves from these big time dealers that is preventing everyone from doing so.

Unfortunately, here's the reality. There are several big name, big time dealers (and not necessarily the ones at issue here) who intentionally sell restored books as unrestored. It happens all the time. Some of these are dealers we know and like from a personal standpoint. I'm not talking about "slipping through the cracks" or they just aren't sure, I'm talking about ones who are told that there is resto on the books and still attempt to sell it as unrestored (I've seen this personally happen and had it happen where I returned books and they were later sold to other parties as unrestored).

Foolkiller, i have just read through all these many pages and am surprised that although the thread has gone on for so long, no one has asked for specifics to your post above.

Everyone is talking about GCC (to some length), but no one seems to be concerned about these others dealers. Given what has been said in this thread, i would have thought that people would have latched onto your statement, or is it fear or alienating themselves from these big time dealers that is preventing everyone from doing so.

:think:

:popcorn:

Graham Crackers does not show their grade on anything, so nothing could have been graded 'like 9.6s'

I said they were priced liked they were 9.6 after one was damaged by the other employee right in front of me. Your entitled to your opinion to frequent the store, as i am to state my experience and choose not to go there. :shrug: Happy New Year

They graded everything like they were 9.6s and when I told him I didnt want the books cause I thought they were priced to high and not graded right.

Above is exactly what you said, that clearly implies poor grading and that you knew what grade they gave the book. You didn't.

Pricing is a different issue.

They graded everything like they were 9.6s and when I told him I didnt want the books cause I thought they were priced to high and not graded right.

Above is exactly what you said, that clearly implies poor grading and that you knew what grade they gave the book. You didn't.

Pricing is a different issue.

They told me what grades and they were way off and said those were super mint , even the one that fell on the floor and was damaged. I dont understand what you dont get.

In your story or replies, you never said they told you what the grades were. Since super mint is not a grade, the person or persons running the store that day likely didn't know what they were talking about, that should of been clear to you.

Again a different issue! (bad help that day)

Had this been reported to John at Graham Crackers (his emails on the website) on a timely basis, its an issue he could address.

I think the names are well known and have been for some time. (thumbs u

They are not well known to me, so can i ask for the thread where these people are named please.

They are not well known to me, so can i ask for the thread where these people are named please.

A 'name names' thread isn't going to end well. You will get a number of the 'serial offenders' listed, but you will also end up with a lot more generally innocent dealers with whom folk have personal beefs that are not necessarily shared, or supported by weight of evidence.

This thread appears to be a perfect example of that. :(

A 'name names' thread isn't going to end well. You will get a number of the 'serial offenders' listed, but you will also end up with a lot more generally innocent dealers with whom folk have personal beefs that are not necessarily shared, or supported by weight of evidence.

This thread appears to be a perfect example of that. :(

I understand what you are saying but i am refering back to Foolkillers post where he is not spectulating or relying on 3rd party information, "(I've seen this personally happen and had it happen where I returned books and they were later sold to other parties as unrestored)"

If that is indeed the case, surely it justifies an "outing" on the boards just as much as Gracham Crackers, maybe moreso as it is blatantly intentional. Holding this kind of information back is not for the benefit of the masses, so again i ask, who are these dealers ?