• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 238, 252, 300 in 9.8 (or 9.6 or 9.4...)?

7 posts in this topic

My goal for 2010 is to start upgrading my rather pitiful collection. I'd like to start by getting ASM 238, 252, and 300. Now I'm on a budget so I'm thinking 9.6 or 9.4 might be the way to go, and use the savings by not buying 9.8s to get an ASM 129.

Does this make sense? What would you do? Would you get these in 9.8 or a lower grade? I'm not looking to invest, I just don't want to spend a lot of money on something that I might regret down the road.

For investment, conventional wisdom would have you purchase 9.8 issues. Still, if these are not for investment, but just for your personal enjoyment, you should probably save some money and go for a lower grade. 2c

If it's not an "investment" (and truly, no comic should ever be purely an investment) and you fear buyer's remorse, buy whatever you are comfortable with; some of these books as a raw NM/MT might even be the way to go (thumbs u

I agree about the investment theme. I'd suggest that for speculation and risk taking I'd buy the 9.8's but for pure collecting enjoyment I'd go with the 9.4 or even 9.2.

Most here who have submitted to CGC have plenty of experiences where a book that was a sho-in for a 9.8 comes back a 9.2 or 9.4 Why not collect those.

For lesser books just buy raw NM+ type books.

Ed

There are a ton of these books in HG, so yeah, as an investment, they probably have already peaked. But, for collecting enjoyment, I think it depends on whether you can tell the difference between a nice 9.4 and a bad 9.6, or if a book in 9.4 or less would "bother" you. I'd probably go with 9.6. If you want to save money, I'd get them in 9.4, but be pretty picky about the copies (i.e. well centered, and maybe blunted corners rather than spine stress). It all depends on what particular defects bother you the most.

The moment they're slabbed, they have a grade on them.

If you buy or keep your ASMs RAW, they can be whatever grade you want them to be! You might have a collection of 9.9s and 10s! (thumbs u

Is it better to live the dream or be shattered by reality? hm