• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Discretion or butting into someone else's business.

164 posts in this topic

Frankly only meeting most boardies at shows I'm not sure how a new guy on here would or could start a selling thread.

Maybe before he/she is crucified there is a sticky thread stating some general common sense. If you are new and want to sell on the boards put some references, FILL out your profile. Without describing your books to death be honest and upfront if you don't know if something is restored/trimmed etc. Give a little history about yourself. Trust is earned on these boards, not freely given just because you may have a cool id.

Everybody has started out new on these boards and frankly I didn't see most of you in a grading or restoration class (There are no grading classes and frankly somebody should run one).

As far as Dale being a lowballer I heard he is a lousy golfer. I think the term is wormburner.

(thumbs u Not sure about Dale being a lousy golfer, but thumbs up on the rest.

Hey MIke. Long time. I am getting the sme treatment this time as last time. Oh well, I should have learned my lesson.

Get this, I have 2 people retract their offers because of Dale. TO of the books I had graded in GD...they were beat all up and they think I had done something to them...

This will be it for the board for me. I am sorry guys. I had a load of nice books. Mike knows I have a ton of books. You win Dale. Congrats. And to think, You made a few offers to me on other books that I declined becuae you low balled me.

And from the scans above. I remember the same thing was done to me on TOS39. Almost the exact same cut on the books and it cam back clean from CGC.

oh well...see you guys.

The problem is this: You come on website that you don't frequent for the sole purpose of using it to make money, and then you are indignant when people question you? Clearly you suspect that something may be wrong with the books and weren't forthcoming about your doubts, and yet you have the gall to criticize Dale for brining it up. doh!

I'm sure you're not a scammer, or a bad person, but clearly you're more concerned about yourself and your sales than the well-being of your potential customers, and clearly you don't "get" a community that looks out for each other.

That said, I think people would still welcome here if you want to get involved and prove yourself to be an upstanding member.

And by the way, Dale handled this very conservatively and respectfully, imo.

For everyone that has won/bought a book in the thread and has already paid, I willl gladly return the payment.

If there is any foubt at all. do not buy. I wil admit that some of the books look trimmed. I do not know. Looks like it is best if I submit them and get CGC opinion.

Not sure what else I can say.

I will answer any ther questions you may have. I just pulled in to eat and will be back online in about 30.

Economically, it may not be in your best interests to send some of the books to CGC, especially the low to mid-grade. Send them to Matt Nelson at Classics Incorporated ( www.classicsincorporated.com ) and he will be able to verify trimmed or not trimmed for $3 bucks a book! Ya can't beat that! :wishluck:

Hey MIke. Long time. I am getting the sme treatment this time as last time. Oh well, I should have learned my lesson.

Get this, I have 2 people retract their offers because of Dale. TO of the books I had graded in GD...they were beat all up and they think I had done something to them...

This will be it for the board for me. I am sorry guys. I had a load of nice books. Mike knows I have a ton of books. You win Dale. Congrats. And to think, You made a few offers to me on other books that I declined becuae you low balled me.

And from the scans above. I remember the same thing was done to me on TOS39. Almost the exact same cut on the books and it cam back clean from CGC.

oh well...see you guys.

I defy you to show a PM where I made you an offer on any of these books. Show everybody. Please.

I didn't do this to you. You did it to yourself. People asked for references, you declined. I informed you by PM that you were selling trimmed books, you basically said, not my problem. If they are trimmed, they are trimmed.

Good riddance as far as I am concerned.

oh well...see you guys.

I defy you to show a PM where I made you an offer on any book. Show everybody. Please.

I didn't do this to you. You did it to yourself. People asked for references, you declined. I informed you by PM that you were selling trimmed books, you basically said, not my problem. If they are trimmed, they are trimmed.

Uh-oh.

oh well...see you guys.

I defy you to show a PM where I made you an offer on any of these books. Show everybody. Please.

+1

oh well...see you guys.

I defy you to show a PM where I made you an offer on any book. Show everybody. Please.

Uh-oh.

Posts: 8268 It looks like most of your higher grade books have been trimmed.

Top Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote

Unread By: none

#1765631 - 01/02/10 11:45 PM Re: FFs

paper_only paper_only

Collector

Posts: 79 I thought the same....When I got this large collection a year ago. I sent some of the big ones into CGC and they all came out fine. People where swearing that the books looked trimmed. I will admit that some did, but they cam back ok. I am assuming the same with these. They cam from same collection. #16 really looks like it but I hope that it has not.

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote

#1765634 - 01/02/10 11:46 PM Re: FFs

Dale Roberts Dale Roberts

A custom title just because Arch looked at my post count when it was exactly 7777? Wow. Lucky day. Whoo. I'm rockin' now... Yah.

TOTAL NEWBIE

#1765644 - 01/02/10 11:50 PM Re: FFs

paper_only paper_only

Collector

Posts: 79 what else can I say? Unless I submit them we will never know..

oh well...see you guys.

Uh-oh.

paper_only paper_only

Collector

Posts: 79 I thought the same....When I got this large collection a year ago. I sent some of the big ones into CGC and they all came out fine. People where swearing that the books looked trimmed. I will admit that some did, but they cam back ok. I am assuming the same with these. They cam from same collection. #16 really looks like it but I hope that it has not.

A custom title just because Arch looked at my post count when it was exactly 7777? Wow. Lucky day. Whoo. I'm rockin' now... Yah.

TOTAL NEWBIE

paper_only paper_only

Collector

Dale, just in case you weren't sure, I was suggesting that paper_only may have just been caught in a fib.

oh well...see you guys.

Uh-oh.

paper_only paper_only

Collector

TOTAL NEWBIE

paper_only paper_only

Collector

Dale, just in case you weren't sure, I was suggesting that paper_only may have just been caught in a fib.

I knew what you were saying. Actually, I did make him an offer on 3 TOS books a few days ago and 1 book sold before he answered, so I didn't pursue it any further. I have nothing against this guy. I think if you read my posts, you can see that. In fact, I declined to tell about 10 people whose books we were discussing, simply because I didn't want to damage a sales thread. I even stated I could be wrong, and I mean it.

But, you can look at the right edges of almost all the higher grade books and pick spots where the edge is not straight, or it looks like it was cut with a blade that was not sharp. And the corners were way too sharp on that edge, while being dull or blunted on the other corners.

Can you honestly look back at my posts and my PMs to you and think I was out to screw you over? I could have done it in about 3 minutes by posting in your thread if I wanted to do it. I did not do so.

Even you said the books look like they are trimmed and you do not know whether they are or not. That doesn't fly on the boards. This is a community and we look out for each other.

again, and i say this knowing that hindsight is 20-10, if you had said upfront that these books were from the same collection as the last books you sold on here that people erroneously thought were trimmed, you would have saved yourself all sorts of headaches.

the fact that you knew that people here would probably be suspicious and yet did not say anything upfront would be, in most normal cases, unsettling at the least. since Mike is vouching for you, and his rep is spotless, then i can assume it was just an error of omission.

but i wouldn't advise just going away and letting eBay take 10% or whatever

This is a community and we look out for each other.

That statement alone should be at the top of the general sales rules.

But it goes for buyers and sellers alike - not just the traditional sellers.

People asked for references, he said he had none.

And the fact that one comic from the collection was not trimmed, does not mean that others from the collection are not. This is NOT an original owner collection.

Tell you what, you send the following books to Matt for pro-screening, and if none of them come back trimmed/restored, I will pay for the pro-screens and your shipping. If some of them come back restored/trimmed, its on you.

FF #2, #6, #12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 22, 25, 27, 34. Maybe others, but these are the ones that look the most suspicious.

Then you can scan the pro-screen invoice from Matt and scan the books and no one will give you any problems. You might ask him for grades too while you are at it.

send the following books to Matt for pro-screening, and if none of them come back trimmed/restored, I will pay for the pro-screens and your shipping.[/b] If some of them come back restored/trimmed, its on you.

:popcorn: