• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Discretion or butting into someone else's business.

164 posts in this topic

People asked for references, he said he had none.

And the fact that one comic from the collection was not trimmed, does not mean that others from the collection are not. This is NOT an original owner collection.

Tell you what, you send the following books to Matt for pro-screening, and if none of them come back trimmed/restored, I will pay for the pro-screens and your shipping. If some of them come back restored/trimmed, its on you.

FF #2, #6, #12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 22, 25, 27, 34. Maybe others, but these are the ones that look the most suspicious.

Then you can scan the pro-screen invoice from Matt and scan the books and no one will give you any problems. You might ask him for grades too while you are at it.

Do it!!

I'm calling my bookie

I just really fear that some people are lining up to get screwed over.

That's life buying raw books! Know the seller, seller policies, and always cya and mitigate your risk. You can't police the world. It sounds like there's enough information available through other comments in thread that should be sufficient.

I may not frequent the boards here, but I don't get the impression that most buyers here are noobs.

I just really fear that some people are lining up to get screwed over.

That's life buying raw books! Know the seller, seller policies, and always cya! You can't police the world. It sounds like there's enough information available through other comments in thread that should be sufficient.

I may not frequent the boards here, but I don't get the impression that most buyers here are noobs.

That may be life buying raw books, but it shouldn't be that way. And for the most parts, its not like that on the boards here. In fact, I can hardly think of anyone that I would worry about at all. And that is the point of this entire thread.

I'm not actually sure I'm the right person for this job, but I will be putting together a sort of hands on "seminar" on how to grade a comic book. I'll be starting a comic collecting club at my school (had about 6-10 students literally begging me to put it together and be their advisor) and this is one of the things I was planning to do! :)

Now back to our regularly scheduled argument ;)

Frankly only meeting most boardies at shows I'm not sure how a new guy on here would or could start a selling thread.

Maybe before he/she is crucified there is a sticky thread stating some general common sense. If you are new and want to sell on the boards put some references, FILL out your profile. Without describing your books to death be honest and upfront if you don't know if something is restored/trimmed etc. Give a little history about yourself. Trust is earned on these boards, not freely given just because you may have a cool id.

Everybody has started out new on these boards and frankly I didn't see most of you in a grading or restoration class (There are no grading classes and frankly somebody should run one).

As far as Dale being a lowballer I heard he is a lousy golfer. I think the term is wormburner.

That may be life buying raw books, but it shouldn't be that way.

That's why there's CGC. :makepoint:

EDIT: I saw your posts about references. Trust is an important element in all of my transactions; and if your spidey senses go off...you must trust them. Sleep well, Dale!

Frankly only meeting most boardies at shows I'm not sure how a new guy on here would or could start a selling thread.

Maybe before he/she is crucified there is a sticky thread stating some general common sense. If you are new and want to sell on the boards put some references, FILL out your profile. Without describing your books to death be honest and upfront if you don't know if something is restored/trimmed etc. Give a little history about yourself. Trust is earned on these boards, not freely given just because you may have a cool id.

Everybody has started out new on these boards and frankly I didn't see most of you in a grading or restoration class (There are no grading classes and frankly somebody should run one).

As far as Dale being a lowballer I heard he is a lousy golfer. I think the term is wormburner.

Yeah, I think only professional bowlers are referred to as lowballers.

I remember about a year ago when I came on these boards as a newbie and have been attacked without reason by some members whom I never met nor done business before. I understand the frustration. Fortunately, I had several members vouching for me then and whom did know me very well. Among them was DrBanner, a man with whom I have a long history of business both as buyer and seller, so if he vouch for you, I believe him.

My 2c to you would be simple: be patient with the boards, disclose the fact if a book has been restored or trimmed or even if you think it is and answer all questions. Describe clearly in your FS thread what is your return policy.

I saw your FS thread but I had one concern, as I remember you bought one book from me five months ago in one of my FS threads but never paid for it nor answered my e-mails then. It was only a $6 comic book, so no big deal, I don't want to point finger at you for such a small thing and you probably had your reasons or didn't know the rules but it's important that you follow the board rules if you want to be accepted by the others.

It takes time to learn the rules and sometimes making a mistake is the hard way to learn, I know it. But once you go through the "initiation" process and get some kudos, you will like this place, like I do now.

I wish you good luck whatever your decision is to stay or not.

And the fact that one comic from the collection was not trimmed, does not mean that others from the collection are not. This is NOT an original owner collection.

Tell you what, you send the following books to Matt for pro-screening, and if none of them come back trimmed/restored, I will pay for the pro-screens and your shipping. If some of them come back restored/trimmed, its on you.

FF #2, #6, #12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 22, 25, 27, 34. Maybe others, but these are the ones that look the most suspicious.

Then you can scan the pro-screen invoice from Matt and scan the books and no one will give you any problems. You might ask him for grades too while you are at it.

now thats boss!!!!

Within a week of my first posts there were folks questioning whether I knew anything about comics or collecting and basically accusing me of making stuff up.

I think the boardies are pretty astute.

That seems like a very fair offer that is made to you, paper_only.

If the books come back as unrestored, let us know. If some of them come back as trimmed or restored, let us know too and disclose the fact.

I have also some doubts about these books being trimmed as well, but you may be unaware of what trimming is, even CGC had its part of problems of detecting micro-trimming a few years ago with seller ejaenter, so it is not always easy to say if a book has been trimmed or not, especially if you don't have the book in hand.

To be clear, I am not saying that you may have trimmed those books. I am only saying that you may not know how to detect trimming. I would strongly recommend you to accept Dale Roberts offer and whatever the results are, just disclose them to the Forum.

Again, I wish you good luck

In all fairness, Dale and other board members set out to handle this issue in a sensitive manner. The fact that you had LG books mixed in with HG books, and with some commentary on CT and other possible restoration, only set out to obfuscate the trimming concerns. So at some point, everything blurs…

You may well be a stand-up guy, but there were/are just so many things wrong with your sales thread. On top of the trimming concerns, your loose grading for a newbie on raw books is contrary to the trust that is trying to be generated here…your FF 10 is NOT a FN book…I’m not trying to be insulting…your grading standards are just lax…which is fine if we’re shooting grade guesses in the Can You Spare A Grade Thread…but not on a newb Sales thread…

I can understand you’re pizzed for your thread’s derailing…equally, you should understand our attempt to GUARANTEE everything is safe and kosher with it…you’ve gone about this in poor form and hopefully that will sink in and you’ll understand that in an objective manner…

BTW…I suspect trimming on FFs 8, 10 and 14 possibly…and 12, 16 and 25 moreso…and that I think is the RED FLAG…it’s rare to see a book in a sales thread here id-ed for trimming…but to have multiple books from the same collection/acquisition implies something going on…

Wishing you the best in 2010…a space odyssey! :headbang:

I wasn't planning on hitting :takeit: on any books in the thread so at first look I didn't really try to pick out the finer details but after this thread I went back and went over the scans more closely one thing I notice that if all the right edges look trimmed why did the top edges look like they were untouched and had overhang I will agree that the right side on a lot of the books showed too much inner page showing on the right side but then again it could have been the way the books set when they where being scanned. No dog in this fight but why trim the right side and not the top?

P.s I love my new HD 24 inch monitor shows great details am I compensating for something well maybe a little :whistle:

Within a week of my first posts there were folks questioning whether I knew anything about comics or collecting and basically accusing me of making stuff up.

Are you making this up? :grin:

I had one concern, as I remember you bought one book from me five months ago in one of my FS threads but never paid for it nor answered my e-mails then.

doh!

He did not buy them but we talked about him selling them for me. Here is my question

Unless you bought the book brand new and it has always been with you, how can anyone garantee that it has not been trimmed or changed in any way?

also, how can you really tell if a book has been trimmed or it was just a miscut?

I think most true collectors know that early silverage Marvel books had this problem.

thing is, thanks to Dale and this post, I have lost sales even when people know I accept returns. And I lost sales on low grade books.

You guys just kill me on this board. Everyone is Guilty right from the start.

I still think Dale was a little ticked off when I turned him down on two of his offers. Another lesson I have learned today.

Let me see if I understand this correctly: You thought many of the books looked trimmed, and then you got up in arms that others would think the same thing? doh!

I wonder when they'll stop questioning and accusing.

Jack

I'm not actually sure I'm the right person for this job, but I will be putting together a sort of hands on "seminar" on how to grade a comic book. I'll be starting a comic collecting club at my school (had about 6-10 students literally begging me to put it together and be their advisor) and this is one of the things I was planning to do! :)

Now back to our regularly scheduled argument ;)

If you do hold an "seminars" I would be interested in attending depending on where you are located in CT.