• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

Just because it hasn't been mentioned in awhile:

The difference of you scan being blurry or crisp is the type of image capture technology your scanner has. In regards to scanning slabs, if you scanner has CIS (contact image sensor) the plastic of the slab will be sharp, while the book and label will be blurry. If your scanner has CCD (charged couple device), your case, book and label will be crisp and clear.

CCD method: Light from the light source is reflected by the document’s surface. This light is reflected further by a mirror, directed through a lens, and received by the CCD.

CIS method: The light from the three RGB color LEDs used as light source are reflected by the document. This reflected light is received in turn by the CIS sensor, which performs the actual scanning. The LEDs, lens, and sensor are integrated into a single module. Since these components are all rods of the same length in close contact, this method is called the “contact image sensor” method.

If you're buying a scanner for slabs, you need to buy one utilizing CCD technology.

I have purchased several of both for work (ad agency) and home, and CIS scanners just didn't cut it and I have had to re-buy scanners that are the older CCD technology.

That wasn't the unit that didn't have updated drivers for more recent OSs, was it? I'll have to reread the thread again.

Don't think so.. I use mine with Windows 8 and OSX 10.7.4 almost every day.

Edited by sl4ppy

My wife got me a new Microtek i800 for Christmas.

I can't get the color right and worse, I can't get rid of the light reflections.

I have the package software that came with the scanner and I also have vue scan pro. Can't get either to do right.

Can someone give some pointers for me please?

image00001_zps8074d190.jpg

reallife3_zps56c86978.jpg

If you can't get the lid to close with a slab on the scanner, try covering it with something white. Paper, cloth, whatever.

It might not fix it, but it might help.

I can't get the color right and worse, I can't get rid of the light reflections.

I have the package software that came with the scanner and I also have vue scan pro. Can't get either to do right.

If you can't get the lid to close with a slab on the scanner, try covering it with something white. Paper, cloth, whatever.

Hey Dice,

Yeah, it won't completely close with thick slabs. The Shock was scanned with a box lid over the slab so no light could get in. Helped some but not all.

I'll try the white method when I get home this evening.

Thanks,

David

Hey Dice,

Yeah, it won't completely close with thick slabs. The Shock was scanned with a box lid over the slab so no light could get in. Helped some but not all.

I'll try the white method when I get home this evening.

Thanks,

David

Also try completely covering it with a white sheet. That might do it.

That's the scanner light refracting off the inner well I think... Not sure you can do much besides attempting to minimize it. It depends on the encapsulation method per slab.

The difference of you scan being blurry or crisp is the type of image capture technology your scanner has. In regards to scanning slabs, if you scanner has CIS (contact image sensor) the plastic of the slab will be sharp, while the book and label will be blurry. If your scanner has CCD (charged couple device), your case, book and label will be crisp and clear.

CCD method: Light from the light source is reflected by the document’s surface. This light is reflected further by a mirror, directed through a lens, and received by the CCD.

CIS method: The light from the three RGB color LEDs used as light source are reflected by the document. This reflected light is received in turn by the CIS sensor, which performs the actual scanning. The LEDs, lens, and sensor are integrated into a single module. Since these components are all rods of the same length in close contact, this method is called the “contact image sensor” method.

If you're buying a scanner for slabs, you need to buy one utilizing CCD technology.

I have purchased several of both for work (ad agency) and home, and CIS scanners just didn't cut it and I have had to re-buy scanners that are the older CCD technology.

Recommendation?

Out of curiosity how can you find out which ones are which?

That's the scanner light refracting off the inner well I think... Not sure you can do much besides attempting to minimize it. It depends on the encapsulation method per slab.

True.

He could also spin the slab and scan it upside down. This would cause the light to bounce off the inner well differently, perhaps eliminating the glare.

Out of curiosity how can you find out which ones are which?

The box details or someone working in that department can tell you what kind of image sensor.

I'll add this to the first post in the thread.

(thumbs u

Agggg! OK, the HP 6350 came in today. It says "Legal Scanner". I found out the platform is normal sized and legal is only if you use the auto-feeder. Their bundled software crashes on two computers. You need to use a third party scanning software to use it. Forget about the network connection.

It has a HUGE depth of field. You can scan the top half and then the bottom. Merge in Photoshop without a problem. HOWEVER!!!! Any scratch, blemish, ping, dent, ANYTHING that is on the plastic slab will SCREAM when you scan it. I look at this comic and it looks great. On the scanner it looks like someone played hockey with the slab,

Oh yea, this came in today too. :whee:

GL76Small.jpg

I bought an HP 7410 on Craigslist tonight. I have the same glare problems that were being discussed yesterday.

I tried scanning several different ways with different colored paper on top of it and all of them look the same.

Oh well, it's better than nothing for sure. :(

tickse1.jpg[/img]

I bought an HP 7410 on Craigslist tonight. I have the same glare problems that were being discussed yesterday.

I tried scanning several different ways with different colored paper on top of it and all of them look the same.

Push on the back of the slab while scanning.

Is that the equivalent of “Sit on it, Potsie!”?

A little less pressure than Potsies fat .

A little less pressure than Potsies fat .

No luck. It's the inner well causing the reflection.

This book is in one of those supder-duper thick slabs, anyway. There's no flex.