• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

I bought an HP 7410 on Craigslist tonight. I have the same glare problems that were being discussed yesterday.

I tried scanning several different ways with different colored paper on top of it and all of them look the same.

Oh well, it's better than nothing for sure. :(

Push on the back of the slab while scanning.

Is that the equivalent of “Sit on it, Potsie!”?

A little less pressure than Potsies fat .

No luck. It's the inner well causing the reflection.

This book is in one of those supder-duper thick slabs, anyway. There's no flex.

Push harder. :baiting:

I bought an HP 7410 on Craigslist tonight. I have the same glare problems that were being discussed yesterday.

I tried scanning several different ways with different colored paper on top of it and all of them look the same.

On the thicker slabs the refraction happens because there is more room in the slab for the inner well to go wavy.

Pressing on it can be a touchy technique but if you apply enough pressure to flex both the area that you are touching AND the area below it (flex it enough to straighten out the warp causing the light refraction iin the slab) it usually helps.

Apply the pressure right above where the refraction happens.

The other option is to try slipping the slab 180 degrees. Sometimes just the direction of the light approaching the wave in the slab makes a difference.

(thumbs u

Dice might fart.

Dice might fart.

That sounds like about the right amount of pressure.

Dice might fart.

That sounds like about the right amount of pressure.

Je suis speaking from experience.

I've tried to follow this thread and compile a list of scanners that are good/not so good, take note of image capture types, sizes....scan techniques.

I'm still not sure what I'm after but I'm sure the guy at BestBuy is going to punch me in my face.

I'm still not sure what I'm after but I'm sure the guy at BestBuy is going to punch me in my face.

If you ask as many questions as you have posts here he might have good reason too.

:insane:

If you ask as many questions as you have posts here he might have good reason too.

:insane:

:slapfight:

Here is mt first attempt at scanning with the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus

Revival1Front_zpsb1b655d3.jpeg

It certainly has that Blurry feeling and the colours are a little bit washed out but it's much better than what I could do with my previous scanner.

tickse1.jpg[/img]

I use the same scanner hm

IMG2.jpg

It's the yellow label
(tsk)

scan0001-1.jpg

So what's the trick?

I've tried several different slabs and they all have the same glares in almost the same places.

I've also tried putting something under different edges of the slab to angle it on the glass.

I can't get rid of the glare. :(

Good idea Roy - would be helpful for those that have already posted to include:

Scanner interface (i.e. USB, SCSI, Parallel, Firewire)

If known, what operating system your running it on (i.e. Windows or Mac, XP/Vista or OS X)

And what DPI you used to obtain the scan

(thumbs u

Here's a result from an HP Scanjet 8250

Interface: USB 2.0

Operating System: Windows Vista

Using the following settings on the scanning software:

Sharpness: Extreme

Resolution: 300 dpi (goes up to 4800 dpi)

I am acquring scans using Arcsoft Photostudio using "Auto Enhance" to colour correct the fading caused by the CGC holder and inner-well:

ASM_129.jpg

Well...I'm in the market for a Legal Size scanner, so I'm going to buy a HP Scanjet 8250. Hopefully I can get the same type of scans as this.

This scan looks great! (thumbs u

It's the yellow label
(tsk)

scan0001-1.jpg

So what's the trick?

I've tried several different slabs and they all have the same glares in almost the same places.

I've also tried putting something under different edges of the slab to angle it on the glass.

Im not sure. I do occasionally get the glare at the bottom (only on new wells), but only when i scan on the lowest settings for registry scans. I do my scanning straight from photoshop, since my hp software wont work at all anymore. Regardless, ive never gotten glare in the middle....

One theory i have is some sort of grease/grime/film on the inside of the scanning glass. Mine is starting to show signs of something accumulating on the inside, maybe yours is farther along and causing the light to refract? Just a thought. One day i will clean mine, but it looks like a PITA.

Hulk358a.jpg

Good idea Roy - would be helpful for those that have already posted to include:

Scanner interface (i.e. USB, SCSI, Parallel, Firewire)

If known, what operating system your running it on (i.e. Windows or Mac, XP/Vista or OS X)

And what DPI you used to obtain the scan

(thumbs u

Here's a result from an HP Scanjet 8250

Interface: USB 2.0

Operating System: Windows Vista

Using the following settings on the scanning software:

Sharpness: Extreme

Resolution: 300 dpi (goes up to 4800 dpi)

I am acquring scans using Arcsoft Photostudio using "Auto Enhance" to colour correct the fading caused by the CGC holder and inner-well:

ASM_129.jpg

Well...I'm in the market for a Legal Size scanner, so I'm going to buy a HP Scanjet 8250. Hopefully I can get the same type of scans as this.

This scan looks great! (thumbs u

My best advice is to download and use the HP software - it makes a HUGE difference in being able to control the scanner features/functions the way the software was meant to interface with the scanner. Using the Windows/Mac or other 3rd-party software to acquire/interface with the scanner won't produce the same results. (thumbs u

It's the yellow label
(tsk)

scan0001-1.jpg

So what's the trick?

Im not sure. I do occasionally get the glare at the bottom (only on new wells), but only when i scan on the lowest settings for registry scans. I do my scanning straight from photoshop, since my hp software wont work at all anymore. Regardless, ive never gotten glare in the middle....

One theory i have is some sort of grease/grime/film on the inside of the scanning glass. Mine is starting to show signs of something accumulating on the inside, maybe yours is farther along and causing the light to refract? Just a thought. One day i will clean mine, but it looks like a PITA.

Hulk358a.jpg

I'll try cleaning the bottom side of the glass later and report my results. (thumbs u

I've tried to follow this thread and compile a list of scanners that are good/not so good, take note of image capture types, sizes....scan techniques.

I'm with you. I've been following along and still far from knowing what might be the best replacement for my defunct scanner. Some of the scanners prominently mentioned here were introduced years ago and are no longer in production. Makes me wonder whether I would be opening myself up to compatibility problems, particularly since I now use a Mac. hm