• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,634 posts in this topic

Ok, heres the first scan.

Windows paint, DPI 200, Default Brightness and Contrast

large.jpg

Way too dark, it is a white book.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second scan

DPI 300, Brightness 800, Contrast 300

large.jpg

Too Bright

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Third scan

DPI 300, Brightness 600, contrast 200

large.jpg

Better

So I have mountain lion for my mac and I was looking into the hp scanjet 8250 that many people recommended and it isn't compatible. Anyone have any recommendations for Mac OS X 10.8? I have an all-in-one officejet pro 8600 but quality is awful and I'm looking for an upgrade. Any help would be much appreciated.

So I have mountain lion for my mac and I was looking into the hp scanjet 8250 that many people recommended and it isn't compatible. Anyone have any recommendations for Mac OS X 10.8? I have an all-in-one officejet pro 8600 but quality is awful and I'm looking for an upgrade. Any help would be much appreciated.

+1.

Ps. :hi: Ali. WTTB!

I'm dumb. I bought a large HP legal scanner years ago at a yard sale for $15, but it's been in storage for a few years. It was old, huge, heavy, and I didn't really like the scans that well. I got tired of seeing it lying around, so I put it in our yard sale 6 months ago for $10. It had no takers, so I dropped it to $5. Still didn't sell.

I'm getting back into CGC comics, and checked out this thread to see what scanner I should get. Checking out the sample scans, I decided on an HP 8250. So I looked them up on eBay, and lo & behold, it looks just like my old one. So I dug it out, and sure enough, it's an HP 8250! I've since upgraded to a MacBook Pro, so I had to download the latest OS 10.8 drivers. I can't get it to recognize the scanner with PhotoShop or the default Apple scanner software, but it works through HP's software. So if someone answers Ali's question above, I'll try that suggestion. I'm just glad I have a working scanner. Now I just have to play around with it to get some better scans.

Batman27_zps6f14da3b.jpg

According to the HP website, the 8250 is compatible with Macs and OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion).

Here's the link.

I'm dumb. I bought a large HP legal scanner years ago at a yard sale for $15, but it's been in storage for a few years. It was old, huge, heavy, and I didn't really like the scans that well. I got tired of seeing it lying around, so I put it in our yard sale 6 months ago for $10. It had no takers, so I dropped it to $5. Still didn't sell.

I'm getting back into CGC comics, and checked out this thread to see what scanner I should get. Checking out the sample scans, I decided on an HP 8250. So I looked them up on eBay, and lo & behold, it looks just like my old one. So I dug it out, and sure enough, it's an HP 8250! I've since upgraded to a MacBook Pro, so I had to download the latest OS 10.8 drivers. I can't get it to recognize the scanner with PhotoShop or the default Apple scanner software, but it works through HP's software. So if someone answers Ali's question above, I'll try that suggestion. I'm just glad I have a working scanner. Now I just have to play around with it to get some better scans.

Batman27_zps6f14da3b.jpg

That scan looks good to me. (thumbs u

HP should have free downloadable software to run all of their scanners.

Never ever ever never ever BUY scanner software. Total scam much like virus scanners.

Epson also has software for their scanners; they almost always come bundled with the drivers. 3rd party software will not do any better; scanning "quality" is almost 100% determined by the hardware, not the scanning software.

Edited by sl4ppy

Never ever ever never ever BUY scanner software. Total scam much like virus scanners.

Epson also has software for their scanners; they almost always come bundled with the drivers. 3rd party software will not do any better; scanning "quality" is almost 100% determined by the hardware, not the scanning software.

I have a Microtek scanner. For some dumb reason, Microtek was really slow with updating their scanning software for new Mac OSs. Or they stopped updating altogether. I'm not sure - I stopped looking after months and months. So I had to buy VueScan which seems to work with just about any scanner and any Mac OS. And VueScan has free updates too. I'm really happy I bought it. The scans are way better than what I got with Microtek's software. And I don't have the frustration of waiting for Microtek's updates.

On older scanners, HP has not updated the software to run on the newer versions of Windows. The only way I could find to make the scanner work was to use Windows Photo Gallery.

I was somewhat skeptical about VueScan, but after enduring hours of frustration with my HP 7400C, I finally took the plunge and could not be happier with the results. I can now scan much more quickly, and the results are far better than what I had been able to do before.

Got a used HP8200 yesterday so I could do some scans. Downloaded driver for Windows 8 from HP website, scan using Paint and do some adjustments in Paint.net

But maybe scanner software is better not sure, HP doesnt provide any software for windows 8 at least.

the scanner works great :cool: - example scan:

worigins10_Variant_SS_CGC96_zps1ae2e3d3.jpg