• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

On 9/29/2022 at 11:23 PM, Wisconsin Comics said:

My A320E is the perfect solution. 

IMG_5641.jpg

IMG_5761.jpg

IMG_5637.jpg

What do you have your setting at seems like they are a little over contrasted not to be offensive I’m just still dialing mine in. 

I have on the unit 25 for contrast and that seems almost identical 

Hi guys,

I just bought the HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 - All-in-One Printer but not having much luck. 
The case look fine but the book itself is blurry.
Do I have to get a different scanner that were mentioned in here?
Or could there be another solution to fix this so I still get to keep this one.

Thanks

2022-10-21_194240 (2).jpg

Edited by J comics

On 10/21/2022 at 3:27 PM, J comics said:

Hi guys,

I just bought the HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 - All-in-One Printer but not having much luck. 
The case look fine but the book itself is blurry.
Do I have to get a different scanner that were mentioned in here?
Or could there be another solution to fix this so I still get to keep this one.

Thanks

2022-10-21_194240 (2).jpg

Hey, I think the scanner you bought might not be CCD, so that is why the case is in focus but the book is not because it is not able to scan the Depth of Field.

JUST A HEADS UP, A BOARDIE HAS A SLAB COMPATIBLE HP 8250 FOR SALE ON THE BOARDS-

UPDATED LIST:

REMEMBER: The proper Image Sensor to scan slabs is CCD, not CIS

CZUR Aura X Pro w/Side Light (and other models) https://shop.czur.com/collections/all (though some people are reporting issues with setup)

EPSON DS-50000

Epson GT-15000

Epson GT-20000

HP 7310

HP 7400 (7710 is the actual number for a search)

HP 7400C

HP 7410 All-in-one.

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

HP 8390 (according to HP specs)

Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus

Microtek i900 (added)

Microtek V6UPL

Microtek 9600-9700-9800 (9800XL added)

PLUSTEK OPTICPRO A320 (confirmed, including A320E)

ScanSnap SV600 Overhead Scanner https://www.fujitsu.com/global/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/soho/sv600/

PLEASE NOTE: List does not account for operating system compatibility

Vuescan software for scanning/editing is recommended as well.

Edited by GACollectibles

On 7/1/2022 at 4:14 PM, KB81 said:

HP 8300 has arrived. 

I used these books due to the amount of color since that is a key factor for me. I must say, the scans look very close to the real thing. 
I have a Windows 10 PC and the computer picked it up right away. 
The scan out of the box was way off and needed tweaking. 

I bought an 8300, got it home, connected it to my Windows 10 computer, and it is not picking it up. Any suggestions on how to get it working?

On 12/30/2022 at 4:02 PM, Stefan_W said:

I bought an 8300, got it home, connected it to my Windows 10 computer, and it is not picking it up. Any suggestions on how to get it working?

Nevermind, I followed the link from HP to an external site and it worked. Here is my first attempt scanning with it. I like this software so I will pay for it, which means the watermarks will be gone for future scans. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cc748160299d68e43576f8306648764e.jpeg

Hello!  I own an HP Scanjet 8300 scanner and use the Vuescan software with it.  I noticed that I get a glare near the top or bottom of some of my CGC slab scans.  Do any other HP Scanjet owners experience this glare sometimes?  If so, do you have any recommendations to help remedy this issue?  I attached a few recent images of a slab scans and you can see the glare near the bottom of the Halo scan and top of the Super Mario Bros scan. I'm wondering if this may be due to newer CGC slabs. Thanks!

Rich

Halo Graphic Novel Preview nn 01.jpg

Super Mario Bros Special Edition 1 01.jpg

On 1/7/2023 at 9:59 PM, inception_comix said:

Hello!  I own an HP Scanjet 8300 scanner and use the Vuescan software with it.  I noticed that I get a glare near the top or bottom of some of my CGC slab scans.  Do any other HP Scanjet owners experience this glare sometimes?  If so, do you have any recommendations to help remedy this issue?  I attached a few recent images of a slab scans and you can see the glare near the bottom of the Halo scan and top of the Super Mario Bros scan. I'm wondering if this may be due to newer CGC slabs. Thanks!

Rich

That seems to be a common occurrence and varies with slabs/scanners.  Try turning the book upside down, sometimes that can solve the glare and then image can be rotated afterwards.

On 1/7/2023 at 7:59 PM, inception_comix said:

Rich

Yes i get that glare sometimes. Why it happens on one book but not another I have not been able to figure out. Some solutions:

1. Place a white card/piece of paper over your slab helps sometimes. It needs to be a piece of card or paper that is large enough to cover the entire scan area.

2. Turn the slab in the scanner. It depends on where you are getting the glare. I get the glare sometimes at the top of the book in the scan or at the bottom.

3. Sometimes I change the position of the slab on the scan surface such as move the slab to the bottom of the scanning area then use the program or a graphics program to crop it. 

4. A painful way i have dealt with that issue is to scan the book twice, flipping it and then using a graphics program to piece the scans together. I don't recommend this method unless you are adept at using the graphics program as you will have to use image rotation to get the scans to line up and also may need to adjust color hue.

My HP is an older version a HP 7400C but works fine with the Vuescan program. Example of the glare:

420980374_PlanetComic29_thumb_jpg_822427211119cd61e9b8007410c676e7.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

On 1/7/2023 at 9:59 PM, inception_comix said:

Rich

I get that glare on some comics but not others. My assumption is that the light in my basement comes in at such an angle that there is some glare with certain colors on the cover. I dont personally care enough about it to go through too much trouble, but I was thinking of standing up something on that end of the scanner to block out that light. 

On 1/8/2023 at 9:59 AM, Stefan_W said:

I get that glare on some comics but not others. My assumption is that the light in my basement comes in at such an angle that there is some glare with certain colors on the cover. I dont personally care enough about it to go through too much trouble, but I was thinking of standing up something on that end of the scanner to block out that light. 

It's not the scanner, it's the inner well.  If it's not perfectly flat you get the glare. 

On 1/8/2023 at 8:13 AM, GACollectibles said:

That seems to be a common occurrence and varies with slabs/scanners.  Try turning the book upside down, sometimes that can solve the glare and then image can be rotated afterwards.

On 1/8/2023 at 11:59 AM, Stefan_W said:

On 1/11/2023 at 8:18 AM, Barth said:

I have a Scanjet 8300 that I don't use anymore. If anyone is looking for one send me a PM :cheers:

I'm looking for a HP Scanjet 8300 if the price is right.

Edited by kenh52

CZUR owners, can you let me know what settings you use and show some examples?  I bought one last year, and hate it lol.  I want to give it one last try, before ditching it and getting something else.  My scans come out pixilated, which I assume is due to using too low of a DPI.  I went with their highest default setting (don't remember what it is) but maybe I need to go into the custom settings and input something higher.

Jumping ahead, if I do decide to replace it, what is a good one to use with a Mac?  Looks like maybe the Plustek A320?

On 2/28/2023 at 12:04 PM, Rob said:

CZUR owners, can you let me know what settings you use and show some examples?  I bought one last year, and hate it lol.  I want to give it one last try, before ditching it and getting something else.  My scans come out pixilated, which I assume is due to using too low of a DPI.  I went with their highest default setting (don't remember what it is) but maybe I need to go into the custom settings and input something higher.

Jumping ahead, if I do decide to replace it, what is a good one to use with a Mac?  Looks like maybe the Plustek A320?

I re-wrote my blog post on this topic! 

https://blog.investmentcomicbooks.com/2023/03/best-graded-comic-book-scanner.html?m=1

On 10/4/2022 at 10:28 AM, TomDehnert said:

What do you have your setting at seems like they are a little over contrasted not to be offensive I’m just still dialing mine in. 

I have on the unit 25 for contrast and that seems almost identical 

No offense at all, I just realized you are right it is a bit over saturated, so I tried to dial it back, trying to get as close to the slab in real view. 

E8076216-9676-4D07-A1AF-B83AC439DDDC.jpeg

E5761455-5B66-48E6-9CC9-3435477E5047.jpeg

0088E703-5489-4ECD-87A4-AB30AE7407A6.jpeg

99C3B9D1-9829-49B3-922D-21940DE19EDA.jpeg

If any of you coming to this thread are looking for the Fujitsu SV600 and find Ricoh SV600's when googling, it's because the company that actually makes the SV600, PFU Limited, is switching from using Fujitsu to using Ricoh for rebranding their scanner.  See links below :

https://www.pfu.ricoh.com/global/news/2023/news230406.html

https://www.pfu-us.ricoh.com/about-us/press-releases/2023/04/pfu-rebrands-industry-leading-document-scanners-from-fujitsu-to-ricoh