• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

On 12/15/2021 at 2:55 PM, sckao said:

Thanks for the link! I completely missed the E. I had looked at the L before awhile back but appears price came down a little now at $1,000 but the E now is at $549 and appears to be delivering incredible value based on the PQ. 

@Bighaley21 Can you please confirm your experience/utility level with the E model? Thanks!

On 1/4/2022 at 5:52 PM, djzombi said:

$500+ for a hobbyist is a bit :eek:

I know with tax it's pushing $600. Check out my recent discovery a few posts up for a budget of $150-$200. In terms of incredible quality and no hassle, that plustek appears to be unbeatable at this point in time. 

My old HP 7400C is still chugging along, but wow... it sure takes up a lot of space in the closet. I only take it out to scan slabs once they start to pile up.

The initial scans on the 7400C are always hazy and a bit washed out, but I open the photo in Photoshop and hit "Auto Smart Fix" and they are corrected perfectly. They tend to have a bit of a scanner light reflection on the bottom rail. 

332488404_JIM085CGC6_5web.thumb.jpg.23b3dcc0881149d57de27fb7f46e38e0.jpg

On 2/7/2022 at 7:26 PM, Forbush-Man said:

Anyone with a HP Scanjet 7400c scanner willing to share their scanner settings for slabs? I'm having a heck of a time with mine; getting light areas and rainbows. :cry:

I'm about to:wavingwhiteflag:

Hi, here are my HP Scanjet 7400c settings.  You can see some of my scans in the "This Week Back from CGC" forum

Hope it helps, Brian

PS - The color is sometimes a little flat, so ill use a photo editor to increase the color to make them more accurate.

7400c Scanner VueScan Input.jpg

7400c Scanner VueScan Crop.jpg

7400c Scanner VueScan Filter.jpg

7400c Scanner VueScan Color.jpg

7400c Scanner VueScan Output.jpg

On 2/13/2022 at 3:01 PM, 70s80sTimeMachine said:

Thanks for the link! I completely missed the E. I had looked at the L before awhile back but appears price came down a little now at $1,000 but the E now is at $549 and appears to be delivering incredible value based on the PQ. 

@Bighaley21 Can you please confirm your experience/utility level with the E model? Thanks!

Plustek OpticPro A320E scans below. Didn't change any settings except the DPI and the scan area. 

all new xmen 23.jpg

atom 19.jpg

On 2/14/2022 at 7:31 PM, darkstar said:

Plustek OpticPro A320E scans below. Didn't change any settings except the DPI and the scan area. 

all new xmen 23.jpg

atom 19.jpg

Those look outstanding and you can't beat hassle free. Just the time savings alone is most likely worth the extra $400 vs. the setup device I recently discovered. Does the scanner move relatively swiftly? Thanks for posting these. 

On 2/14/2022 at 8:01 PM, 70s80sTimeMachine said:

Those look outstanding and you can't beat hassle free. Just the time savings alone is most likely worth the extra $400 vs. the setup device I recently discovered. Does the scanner move relatively swiftly? Thanks for posting these. 

Took a minute and four seconds total to produce the two scans below, so about 30 seconds or less per scan. A slab usually takes between 40 and 45 seconds per scan.  

tec405f.jpg

tec405b.jpg

I ended up going with another model in that CZUR line. For $250-$350 budget; this is unbeatable for the value. It's completely silent which is perfect for me given I can't scan until late at night. Additionally you can scan hands free with this hardware. Here is a slab with a tough cover to scan.

421 .jpg

On 2/27/2022 at 2:04 PM, ivegotneatstuff said:

I just picked up a ScanSnap SV600 - which is kinda odd looking..but I love the scans it takes

scan.thumb.jpg.bbdafe98b23ebeea90706e4ffd2625ec.jpg

1844671568_moonknight1.thumb.jpg.dc90cd69de98157734e080fbfd19db72.jpg

Oooh Cool! How much? or where do you find it? in stores?

On 2/25/2022 at 11:06 PM, 70s80sTimeMachine said:

I ended up going with another model in that CZUR line. For $250-$350 budget; this is unbeatable for the value. It's completely silent which is perfect for me given I can't scan until late at night. Additionally you can scan hands free with this hardware. Here is a slab with a tough cover to scan.

421 .jpg

Which exact scanner is this?  Used or new at that price?

On 2/27/2022 at 4:51 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Which exact scanner is this?  Used or new at that price?

The Aura X Pro brand new currently on sale for $299. Regular price is $359. The key to this hardware is the mounted side LED lights. This device is also portable and can be easily carried in a backpack etc.

https://shop.czur.com/products/aura?variant=28598213017648

Here is another pic of the older style slab. This is completely raw and unfiltered. There are numerous other picture modes/filter options etc. that I have yet to tinker with. 

284.jpg

A few more. On certain slabs/angles you get a little more glare on the sides. But I have still have yet to contrast scanning say in a completely dark room vs. day time etc.and tinker with settings. Regardless this is good enough for me. I honestly only got this to chronicle my slabs for my registry sets.

171.jpg

214.jpg

247.jpg

Archer0.jpg

407.jpg

324.jpg

On 2/27/2022 at 6:36 PM, 70s80sTimeMachine said:

The Aura X Pro brand new currently on sale for $299. Regular price is $359. The key to this hardware is the mounted side LED lights. This device is also portable and can be easily carried in a backpack etc.

https://shop.czur.com/products/aura?variant=28598213017648

Here is another pic of the older style slab. This is completely raw and unfiltered. There are numerous other picture modes/filter options etc. that I have yet to tinker with. 

284.jpg

Never used this type of scanner.  I think I’m going to give one a try.(thumbsu

On 2/27/2022 at 7:55 PM, Rob said:

What I like about the Czur is that they show it working with a Mac, which not all scanners do.  Tempted to try it.

Thanks for mentioning this and that is a key point. FYI I am running this on the latest macOS Monterey V12.1 and it works brilliantly. 

That is really interesting.  (thumbsu hm

I was always tinkering with the idea of two-sided comic book scanning/ slab scanning to speed up things (and lessen handling) but mounting two CCD scanners in the necessary configuration and closing the lids were always an issue due to the focal length.

This would kind of solve the problem possibly. Just replace the black platform with a really clear non-reflective glass or acrylic and mount a duplicate unit upside down to a custom table with a hole cut out of it (or a metal rig). With the right programming to stagger the automated scans, you'd get front and back images automatically with minimal touching from the mechanical pieces. (If you think about it, this unit is just shooting down without a glass piece between it and the comic, while a scanner is really scanning through glass each time.) Make a sliding piece to use as a conveyor belt possibly for further automation or to facilitate sliding the comic into place with minimal handling.