• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2021 at 11:07 PM, I like pie said:

I'm not bashing the quality or pushing you to not use your phone but you can hardly ready the words. Also, if I was hunting for, lets say, a 9.4 with a potential to press/upgrade to something higher, this picture wouldn't help. You can't see the fine details. If it's just for PC purposes though, than who cares :P

The original pic is better and the words can be read quite easily, I made sure of that when I sold it on ebay.  And I'm not bashing those who use scanners, but if you don't need to show every little nook and cranny of a book, than there are cheaper alternatives that don't take up half a room!

On 8/9/2021 at 1:32 PM, sckao said:

The cost of the scanner is only part of the cost actually. The VueScan software is not cheap in comparison. (It's $99 I think.) I also just picked up a used Microtek i900 scanner off eBay(thumbsu

I've been playing with the settings but @Ghost Town had some great initial color settings for his scans based on his Microtek i800. (You can find it via search on these boards I think... I'd have to look for it.)

NOTE: There's also an easy way to clean UNDER the glass for the i900. You just have to be careful to press down on the hole between the cover joints with something like a pencil (eraser side) once you take the cover off. It then slides off and lifts up.

Vuescan is $40. 

The $40 VueScan is the basic software. The basic software has the Advanced Features turned off as well. If you don’t need them, then that’s fine. The $99 version includes photo slide scanning, OCR, and advanced features (which I found I needed).

The Microtek i900 (vs the i800 I guess) is also a photo slide scanner with an assortment of plastic slide templates. Most people don’t have slides anymore since they’re pretty much obsolete, but some families will have slides in their old photograph storage areas which can now be scanned instead of being sent out to a shop or service. (Mine does.)

The advanced features is probably also where you can tweak a lot more of the color settings. That may also be why I upgraded once I realized the basic version was too limited. 

Some people may feel they do not need it.

Edited by sckao

On 8/9/2021 at 2:14 PM, Ghost Town said:

Searching in these parts can be challenging. These are the VueScan settings I've been using:

26792121088_398573d359_c.jpg

Here's my first test with the setting you posted with my newly acquired i800. Looks great! I can definitely refine this further in Gimp if need be. (thumbsu

test.jpg

test1.thumb.jpg.d699209672953bc1a4cb8f113e307342.jpg

Edited by Silver_Couch_Surfer

On 6/16/2021 at 10:13 PM, I like pie said:

Here's an example of the line. It doesn't show well on this one but can be more prominent, depending on color.

2021-06-15-0010.thumb.jpg.897b3439e946fb960a1f7d11c8c06032.jpg

On 6/17/2021 at 8:31 PM, Darkseid of the Moon said:

Could the line be from the scanner light? 

I have a Microtek 9800XL.  Scans were very faded, so I found a manufacturer that makes replacement bulbs for $50 https://www.jkllamps.com/BF20325-24B_ASSY_01

https://www.fixya.com/support/t651899-microtek_scanmaker_9800_xl

Put their new light in and it fixed my faded problems.

Skip to 2 years later, now my scanner is producing the same kind of line as Yours...

Like this line? I just noticed it tonight, first time scanning slabs with this used i800.

I'd take purchasing a new bulb than having to return this. Scarce these days! 

test9.jpg

On 9/2/2021 at 6:00 PM, Silver_Couch_Surfer said:

Here's my first test with the setting you posted with my newly acquired i800. Looks great! I can definitely refine this further in Gimp if need be. (thumbsu

By the way, with the latest version of CGC holders, the books sit a bit recessed in the slabs. So in photoshop I make a window around the book and brighten that area of the scan. And I just leave the label as is.

Edit: Problem went away on its own ??? (thumbsu

Crazy difference in glare between hp 8300 and i800. 

HP 8300                                                                                                                                                                 Microtek  i800 

excitingcomics39.thumb.jpg.4042832be3c403cfccf935ac9e603ee6.jpgtest12a.thumb.jpg.3ae27071d4c3e1722d8e122d1a16436c.jpg

Edited by Silver_Couch_Surfer

On 9/2/2021 at 9:00 PM, Silver_Couch_Surfer said:

Like this line? I just noticed it tonight, first time scanning slabs with this used i800.

I'd take purchasing a new bulb than having to return this. Scarce these days! 

test9.jpg

Correct.  The company in the link I posted can make any light even if they don't have one for your i800.  I think they would require a used i800 light or the blueprints to be able to make a retrofit light.  My light that I bought from them is over 2 years old now and the scans are 10x better than the old light that came in the scanner when I bought it used off ebay.

Except now, there's a line like in your scan, but I got lucky because the line is off to the side.  So I just have to move the slab over a little on the scanner bed so the line doesn't show up. 

I should probably order another backup light.  $50 is cheap to fix an expensive old scanner.  And the process of changing the light was really easy, because that comapny made a very good instruction guide that includes pictures and step by step process.  I also bought some lube to stop the scanner creaking noises.  The rails needed to be lubed up.  Did it all in one go and the scanner is performing quite well now.  #That's what she said