• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 180 Is Wolverine's 1st Appearance According To Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

68 posts in this topic

But Overstreet lists #180 as a 'brief' appearance (correct) and #182 as a 'cameo' (also correct).

Come on, you know EXACTLY what happened.

In previous OS editions back to the beginning of time, these were listed as Cameos, and then movie-fanboy Arnold said "whachooo talkin' bout Bob!" and changed them all to "brief appearances". Prior to that outburst, "comic cameo appearance" was an accepted term for decades.

We had a big fight about that online, and he really showed his ultra-anal side in that dispute. lol

Me: Arnold, movies are NOT comics.

Arnold: %#%#&^@#$ you %$#^&@

Then he stormed off.

Cameo is certainly acceptable not only for its historic use in comic books as a very brief appearance, but also by the very definition of the word. As Merriam-Webster defines it:

a small theatrical role usually performed by a well-known actor and often limited to a single scene; broadly : a brief appearance or role

(emphasis mine)

Hulk 180 certainly seems to fit this criteria.

We know POV, and I also agree with that, but Arnold's last act before leaving the OS publication for the museum was to retroactively change all the "cameo appearances" to "brief appearances" simply because he's a HUGE movie buff and can't see the word any other way. I guess in his world, since comics are not movies and do not feature well-known actors, there can be no cameos.

But I guess we're lucky he doesn't collect jewelry or he'd have a coronary. :insane:

But Overstreet lists #180 as a 'brief' appearance (correct) and #182 as a 'cameo' (also correct).

Come on, you know EXACTLY what happened.

In previous OS editions back to the beginning of time, these were listed as Cameos, and then movie-fanboy Arnold said "whachooo talkin' bout Bob!" and changed them all to "brief appearances". Prior to that outburst, "comic cameo appearance" was an accepted term for decades.

We had a big fight about that online, and he really showed his ultra-anal side in that dispute. lol

Me: Arnold, movies are NOT comics.

Arnold: %#%#&^@#$ you %$#^&@

Then he stormed off.

Cameo is certainly acceptable not only for its historic use in comic books as a very brief appearance, but also by the very definition of the word. As Merriam-Webster defines it:

a small theatrical role usually performed by a well-known actor and often limited to a single scene; broadly : a brief appearance or role

(emphasis mine)

Hulk 180 certainly seems to fit this criteria.

Which is completely at odds with the Oxford English dictionary

cameo

/kammio/

• noun (pl. cameos) 1 a piece of jewellery consisting of a portrait in profile carved in relief on a background of a different colour. 2 a short piece of writing which neatly encapsulates something. 3 a small distinctive part played by a distinguished actor.

That's because the term is actually COMIC BOOK CAMEO (I believe this has been mentioned several times :insane: ), which does have several online references and definitions.

Or do you really think that comics have "actors"? doh!

You can no more tie a purely movie-related definition to a comic book than you could the jewelry definition.

That's because the term is actually COMIC BOOK CAMEO (I believe this has been mentioned several times :insane: ), which does have several online references and definitions.

You can no more tie a purely movie-related definition to a comic book than you could the jewelry definition.

I was replying to Pov, who I'm sure wasn't quoting from the 'Comic Book Dictionary'. :baiting:

Regardless, comic books do not employ "distinguished actors" or actors of any type, so seeking to define a comic book cameo by a limited movie definition is not possible.

That reminds me of the classic line from Night Shift:

"Oh, that Barney Rubble. What an actor"

:ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez:

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I was replying to Pov, who I'm sure wasn't quoting from the 'Comic Book Dictionary'. :baiting:

Pov has a dictionary? :o

Regardless, comic books do not employ "distinguished actors" or actors of any type, so seeking to define a comic book cameo by a limited movie definition is not possible.

No, but it's extremely easy to slightly adapt the meaning to indicate a 'distinguished character'.

Rather than make up a whole new meaning.

I'm assuming that other words 'borrowed' from the language retain their true meaning? 'Origin'? 'Classic cover'? Hell, even 'appearance', brief or otherwise?

So what makes 'cameo' the nun in the brothel? (shrug)

He uses it as a computer stand

He uses it as a computer stand

1) I was quoting from Merriam-Webster dictionary

2) I do not own a dictionary. I just use the internet. Much easier to copy/paste from a web page than a book!

3) Dr WhooDoo?

(I have no idea what #3 means - have a fluish thing and am off my game somewhat as far as clever repartee.)

I'm assuming that other words 'borrowed' from the language retain their true meaning? 'Origin'? 'Classic cover'? Hell, even 'appearance', brief or otherwise?

That's totally beside the point, as a "comic book cameo" was a "term in common usage" - check all your old OS's if you don't believe me - and has long-standing acceptance and recognition in the comic's field.

To go back 40 years and retroactively start screwing with the terminology is anal to the extreme, even for a movie fanboy.

That's totally beside the point, as a "comic book cameo" was a "term in common usage" - check all your old OS's if you don't believe me - and has long-standing acceptance and recognition in the comic's field.

To go back 40 years and retroactively start screwing with the terminology is anal to the extreme, even for a movie fanboy.

Well, quite, but...

Pressing was always restoration, but now it isn't?

Apparently this is 'progress'. meh

Well, quite, but...

Oh sweet mary mother of jesus lil baby moses in the reeds, here comes a pressing derailment.

Well, quite, but...

Oh sweet mary mother of jesus lil baby moses in the reeds, here comes a pressing derailment.

No, not at all. I'm simply asking why, if definitions have been changed over the years, and been accepted by many, why is the reversion to the proper usage of 'cameo' anathema? (shrug)