• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 180 Is Wolverine's 1st Appearance According To Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

68 posts in this topic

Well, quite, but...

Pressing was always restoration, but now it isn't?

Apparently this is 'progress'. meh

Oh sweet mary mother of jesus lil baby moses in the reeds, here comes a pressing derailment.

No, not at all. I'm simply asking why, if definitions have been changed over the years, and been accepted by many, why is the reversion to the proper usage of 'cameo' anathema? (shrug)

Well techically if one wants to discuss the proper use of cameo perhaps one should hearken back to the earliest cited refernce I can find in this context, dating from 1851: "small character or part that stands out from other minor parts". Unfortunately I cannot yet find an etymology for that etymology. This seemingly earliest, or at least quite early, definition makes no mention of the fame of the actor or actress performing the role.

Well techically if one wants to discuss the proper use of cameo perhaps one should hearken back to the earliest cited refernce I can find in this context, dating from 1851: "small character or part that stands out from other minor parts".

Arnold and OS just got PWNED!! :applause:

I can't believe this thread is still running (shrug)

Who cares what the 1st app. is just get both books and your covered (thumbs u

Yes, but 180 is extremely cheap in comparison. Buy them suckers up by the truckload and wait for the rest of the hobby to go "Oh yeah, I guess that was his first appearance."

I don't think that'll happen as most people can spot 181 even if it weren't numbered and most can not spot 180 if it weren't numbered.

It says it on Wolverine Origins game too. I've never understood why #180 doesn't get the first appearance but can't be bothered to argue about it.

I've never understood why #180 doesn't get the first appearance but can't be bothered to argue about it.

Maybe I need to explain this one more time...

Back when comic book fandom was alive and kicking, people used to actually buy comics to READ. Crazy I know, but when a particular character grew in popularity, comic fans would go back to find and read about his/her original appearances, thus driving up back issue prices.

Now, if you were a fan in this pre-reprint/pre-TPB era, actually wanting to see and read as much as you could about Wolverine, which would be more valuable to you, a one-panel cameo on the last page, or the first full story, with Wolverine not only in the entire issue, but also introduced on the cover?

In the CGC era, less emphasis is put on how much of the story a character is in (within reason), but far, far, far more importance is placed on the cover, as that's all you can see. Due to the now-iconic nature of Hulk 181's cover, it'll always be recognized as the first full appearance of Wolverine,

Hulk 180 had no hope of surmounting Hulk 181 pre-CGC in the "we actually read comics" era and it has no hope of supplanting 181 post-CGC in the "lookit da purty covers" era.

Well techically if one wants to discuss the proper use of cameo perhaps one should hearken back to the earliest cited refernce I can find in this context, dating from 1851: "small character or part that stands out from other minor parts".

Arnold and OS just got PWNED!! :applause:

Not really, but only because I stopped thinking about it after I left Gemstone and you clearly have never let it go. :) You even refer to someone you've never met with glowing terms like "movie-fanboy" (which I suppose I should be proud of).

If you could disagree like a rational adult instead of a spiteful fanboy, the conversation would be a lot more welcome. But I stand by the decision, and it might be worth noting that I wasn't exactly acting unilaterally. I had the support of publisher Bob Overstreet, Exec. Editor J.C. Vaughn and everyone else on the Guide. We all saw the sense of it; sorry you don't. You can keep calling it whatever you want though. No problem for me. :)

It says it on Wolverine Origins game too. I've never understood why #180 doesn't get the first appearance but can't be bothered to argue about it.
I wonder if its a situation where Marvel itself sees 180 as the first appearance, regardless of what the comic industry and collectors say. hm