• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help introducing and finding OA!...

37 posts in this topic

I like that advice. Go to a biggish convention and take it all in. Talk with dealers, collectors and look at and hold some art. Nothing like seeing it in person...

I like that advice for sure, but I'm of the mind that you also need to see as much art in person as possible before, after, and during any self-imposed buying moratorium. All the internet research and looking at jpgs in the world isn't quite the same as seeing a piece in person and getting to discuss it with collector friends. Those real life viewings and discussions will help you go a long way towards your understanding why a prime piece is a prime piece. It used to totally baffle me why one piece was more expensive than another or viewed as more desirable. You do have to try and soak it all up for a while but ultimately however much info you soak up, you will make some early buying mistakes. You kind of have to fall down a few times before learning to stand. Get ready for it. I don't know if you need to wait six months..... but definitely make those early purchases small. You will learn from each one.

All good advice. Since you've been into comics for a while, and like the SA/BA stuff, make a list of the top 10 titles and comics/artists you love, and then focus on that list. Don't listen to what other people say is hot or what you should buy. If this is for you and not for resale, then be honest with what you want/like and focus on that. I promise you won't be unhappy.

Also agree that a 6 month moratorium, however painful it seems, during which you fully immerse yourself in the hobby is absolutely great advice.

Hari

Serious OA collectors that I know are focused on the art and a deep personal connection each piece brings. They are not necessarily looking for a decorative item, a good investment or a trophy for the mantle. There is some aspect of the work itself that has hooks them and gains greater significance as part of a broader collection.

Best of luck on building your collection ... don't forget to enjoy the ride!

GE

Thanks for the thoughtful replies and advice everyone. They will help better guide my OA "journey", but I know I have to do most of my own legwork.

Continuing my original post, I may never spend the stated amount, or perhaps after a long period of OA exposure, I will finally find something where I have to spend quite a bit more to obtain. We will see.

I've no interest in "investing" in OA, or buying to sell or any of that. I've collected comics for a long while, started buying CGC books earlier this decade (or last decade as it has become) and only sold a fraction of them since I never had the need nor the original intent to sell them. I'm most interested in expanding into OA now because I've collected, for the most part, most of what I've always wanted to collect in comics. OA seems like a reasonable and exciting progression of my collecting habits!

I only buy what I like and can afford. That strategy has served me well over the years.

"I only buy what I like and can afford. That strategy has served me well over the years."

+1

This is the advice I give everyone.

Waiting and watching the market before you start buying is also great advice.

If you do not see anything that interests you on dealer websites, you should spend some time going through the CAF. If something catches your eyes, you might considering contacting the owner and making an offer. Even if a page is marked NFS, it is possible the owner might change his mind if the cash offer is strong enough.

I've no interest in "investing" in OA, or buying to sell or any of that. I've collected comics for a long while, started buying CGC books earlier this decade (or last decade as it has become) and only sold a fraction of them since I never had the need nor the original intent to sell them. I'm most interested in expanding into OA now because I've collected, for the most part, most of what I've always wanted to collect in comics. OA seems like a reasonable and exciting progression of my collecting habits!

Yes, this is a very exciting hobby. And since you don't appear to be in it for the money, I will hope you will post what ever you buy over here. Can't speak for the rest of the board, but part of the thrill I think of owning OA is sharing it with the collecting community.