• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

when did the addiction to HG started for you?

48 posts in this topic

I found a "high Grade " batman oo in miami from A & M comics. Later some of them had foxing.

I would always try to find the Best looking copies I could find. Now I just let someone else find it and I buy it. I love it. I get High grade comics many of which are one or two of a kind in high grade and they only get these green rumpled small papers with dead presidents on them.

Mile High Captain Midnight # 11, courtesy of our own nearmint ( Jeff D). I waited a few weeks to get the book, my first Mile High , and I was hooked. It was expensive at the time, about $300.00 to the best of my memory. I had never spent so much on a comic and it kept me up and night until it arrived. The first time I saw it, a sharp NM pedigree, I was ready to buy more of them.

Thanks Jeff!

When I was about 6 years old, my Father took me garage saling for his record collection, showed me some record and said... "Always buy the highest grade you can find because anything less than near mint condition isn't even worth owning".

Stuck with me my entire life and I've been a snob ever since. :sorry:

Jim

It got me this past summer. I was on the quest to complete my ASM run with whatever grade I could find, when I happened upon a gentleman who was selling high grade Spidey's. Rather than buy several comics elsewhere, I bought a couple of high grade books, ASM #10 and #14. Now I am hooked. I have trouble buying ANYTHING under an 8.5. I guess I'll never finish my Spidey run. Unless I win the lotto.

I'd say about 3 years ago is when I started noticing that my "nice" (boy, do I hate that word) upper HG Silvers were actually softening in price...while the Top Census copies were shooting up. Right then I decided that I have disposable income, not throw away money.

It'll take longer now -a lot longer- to complete my set, but now I feel it's better protected.

"Only buy what you can afford" is for *ussies! :baiting:

Rick

VF is "High Grade" in my book. :cloud9:

If Vf is high grade then i guess i still have the addiction.

But I really lost it when I sent a book back to cgc from Ewert that was trimmed.

Sold off most of my 9.4 - 9.6 collection and started collecting lower grade (7.0 early silver - to 9.2 ) nice looking books. I'll never go back to "High Grade" again.

How about you? at which point did the addiction started.

As soon as I started seriously collecting comics back in 1981.

Lately, when I look at a high grade slabbed book, all I can think of is, was this book pressed? I am not pro or con pressing but I am concerned about long term damage that pressing might cause. That's what gives me pause these days.

I love the high grade 9.8/ 9.6 books in their little cases but I am just as happy getting a really pretty 8.0. One of the nice things about grading being subjective is I can find plenty of 8.0 - 9.0 books that I find have more eye appeal IMO than their 9.4/9.6 counter parts. The one thing that I can't stand in high grade books is the browning around the edges. If I had to choose between a 8.0 and a 9.6 with browning for my personal collection I'm going with the 8.0 every time.

March 06

got back into the hobby by purchasing a HG copy of IM 1 and it's been downhill ever since :tonofbricks:

Funny, when I returned to collecting my first purchase was also an IM 1. My second was ToS 39, from you, which is still the pride of my collection! :grin:

I don't have the HG bug, which is good because the books I'm mainly interested in are way beyond my means in anything above mid-grade.

Lately, when I look at a high grade slabbed book, all I can think of is, was this book pressed? I am not pro or con pressing but I am concerned about long term damage that pressing might cause. That's what gives me pause these days.

I do have similar thoughts about buying a slab since I joined this board. However, I am less concerned about the long term damage but as silly as it sounded...I am more concerned about the reversal of a crease or stress especially with the spine. I wonder if a spine with a few slight or heavy stress that didn't break colors, get pressed and got graded but those areas due to the weakness of the past will slowly revert to their old ways. Every time, I look at a slab that is 9.4 or higher and I see clearly visible stress points on the spine, I always wonder if this was pressed shortly before it was graded and those flaws were ironed away...and now 2 or 3 years later, the flaws are returning and it is reverting back to a 9.0 or 9.2 within the slabs.

I will let the experts on the matter shine in on this theory or how absurd my concerns are hm

Comic book grades? I barely care. I'm satisfied with any book from before 1960 in complete/unrestored 2.0 or greater.

Records on the other hand... I'm very picky when buying vinyl. I try to buy the best copy possible, at least NM-. Beat vinyl can ruin the listening experience, while a tear on a comic book cover doesn't affect my reading of the book. Then again, I also collect vintage records from Jamaica, and practically everything I find is beat to hell!