• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 in 7.5 up fer grabs

101 posts in this topic

I thought the grading standards were set in stone by Overstreet? If that is so, should'nt they have been the same in 2000 as they are now, or have I missed something in my reading material, and they have been changed over the years ???

CGC didn't even fully adopt OS standards until late in 2003, and even so, there are marked differences between CGC and OS even now. Plus, CGC's grading criteria (admittedly) continues to evolve, with some very dramatic shifts here and there.

I don't believe CGC has ever stated what their grading criteria is. They grade it and we stare at it and wonder how they determined the grade.

I thought the grading standards were set in stone by Overstreet? If that is so, should'nt they have been the same in 2000 as they are now, or have I missed something in my reading material, and they have been changed over the years ???

CGC didn't even fully adopt OS standards until late in 2003, and even so, there are marked differences between CGC and OS even now. Plus, CGC's grading criteria (admittedly) continues to evolve, with some very dramatic shifts here and there.

Great. Again many thanks for clarifying, just when I thought I was getting a handle on understanding grading lol

So grading is as clear as mud then? doh!

NOOB! :baiting:

Great. Again many thanks for clarifying, just when I thought I was getting a handle on understanding grading lol

So grading is as clear as mud then? doh!

NOOB! :baiting:

This is true :sorry:

Just be grateful you've got someone new to laugh at :insane:

I think they might be afraid it might grade lower...look at those chips on the right side

right, in regards to why they are not getting a new CGC case.

Who would want to buy a 45+K book with several large cracks and scratches on the case ?

With a book of that nature, it would'nt bother me, as long as the book was undamaged. After all, I have read that the old labels are more likely to be graded tighter or meaner. Would that mean that there is more chance this book would be worth an extra half grade?

I'm of the opinion that the grading was not as consistent when they first started. I think you're just as likely to find books that are over-graded as you are to find books that are upgrade candidates.

I have a feeling they would hammer that book for chipping more now...

I don't believe CGC has ever stated what their grading criteria is. They grade it and we stare at it and wonder how they determined the grade.

Correct, they've never clarified their criteria. They have said that they sort of, kinda, loosely follow Overstreet.

But with their own opinions/weighting thrown in for good measure. doh!

And they've been all over the shop on tight/loose since inception. However, they have nearly always been erring towards 'loose' on key books, IMHO.

Correct, they've never clarified their criteria. They have said that they sort of, kinda, loosely follow Overstreet.

And they've been all over the shop on tight/loose since inception. However, they have nearly always been erring towards 'loose' on key books, IMHO.

Bearing in mind my ignorant status, why do people clamour to buy CGC graded comic books? Genuine question with no hint of sarcasm or irony intended. (shrug)

Pardon my ignorance, but couldn’t the book just be re=holdered and not re-graded thus preserving the grade?

The problem is that re-holdering always carries a risk. If CGC get a book in for reholdering and it clearly no longer matches the grade assigned, they'll regrade it to preserve the integrity of their standards.

Doesn't happen often, but does happen.

Bearing in mind my ignorant status, why do people clamour to buy CGC graded comic books? Genuine question with no hint of sarcasm or irony intended. (shrug)

Where's the 'can of worms' graemlin when you need it? :insane:

Where's the 'can of worms' graemlin when you need it? :insane:

You are obviously a troublemaker sir, are you not? :baiting:

I don't believe CGC has ever stated what their grading criteria is.

I meant in terms of changes to how CGC handles certain comics/defects, like when they changed their rules to give missing-color covers the GLOD rather than the Blue Label used on previous "error covers" or how production defects and/or PQ can limit the overall grade or how GA comics can be "slightly restored" yet still get a Unrestored label.

What usually happens is that Book X pops up with a very noticeable shift in CGC criteria, we create a thread and CGC Exec Y pops on and tells us how the company changed how Scenario Z is now handled.

I meant in terms of changes to how CGC handles certain comics/defects, like when they changed their rules to give missing-color covers the GLOD rather than the Blue Label used on previous "error covers" or how production defects and/or PQ can limit the overall grade or how GA comics can be "slightly restored" yet still get a Unrestored label.

What usually happens is that Book X pops up with a very noticeable shift in CGC criteria, we create a thread and CGC Exec Y pops on and tells us how the company changed how Scenario Z is now handled.

If I was'nt confused before, I feel like putting a hankey on me head now cos My brain hurts

If I was'nt confused before, I feel like putting a hankey on me head now cos My brain hurts

In all seriousness, these boards have been going since '02 and still there's new stuff and new understandings that arise. Not so much as in the early days, obviously, but they still occur.

Understanding CGC, what they do, how they do it, how it's perceived, what the attractions are...is pretty much the work of a lifetime.

This is a great place to pick up a lot of information so sit back and enjoy the ride. (thumbs u

The bottom line is they need to stabilize and stick to it a set grading standard...changing......evolving is flat out BS, as this has been my problem withthem for years. The grading of comics is subjective, but that subjectivity must have checks and balances period to stay within a set of given grades, and CGC has always been all over the map. They need to stick to OS guidelines and be done with it, trying redifine and evolve is quite pompous and many precieve it to be a little shaddy.

That is a sweet looking AF #15:

0014043001.1.jpg

Not very sweet Marvel chipping though. :eek:

that is what I was thinking...down right UGLY for a 7.5...I have seen 5.0's at 10K much more attractive (shrug)