• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's finally time to put Danny Dupcak out of business auction FUNDRAISER
2 2

607 posts in this topic

Maybe you're not looking at the bigger picture...

Listen, it'll never get to that point, as Danny is a smart guy and will just pay the higher amount once he sees the firepower - he'd never allow this to get to the level that Mark states, as then he'd be opening up a whole new can of worms.

The scenario as I see it:

1) Danny finds out about potential legal challenge.

2) Danny relents to higher child support since he does NOT want to let Mark inside his life.

3) Danny lists 30% more hidden-resto books to pay the bills.

To think that he'd let a child support case threaten his source of income is ludicrous, and no matter what you think of Danny, no one can say he's stupid.

Listen, it'll never get to that point, as Danny is a smart guy and will just pay the higher amount once he sees the firepower - he'd never allow this to get to the level that Mark states, as then he'd be opening up a whole new can of worms.

2) Danny relents to higher child support since he does NOT want to let Mark inside his life.

To think that he'd let a child support case threaten his source of income is ludicrous, and no matter what you think of Danny, no one can say he's stupid.

I'm not usually a defeatist, but in this case I do have to say:

+1

(Or perhaps I'm just being a realist, not a defeatist.)

Edited by drewincanada

I'm just going to leave it at that, and I really do hope that Danny allows the court case to continue to fruition, and Mark is allowed full and complete access to his financial records, which may ultimately help bring him down, but I just don't think DD is that stupid.

But good luck.

I'm not a legal expert by any stretch of the imagination. Whether or not he wants Mark in his life, standing in front of the courts may not be anyone's jurisdiction but the courts and authorities to decide. If there is a child support issue (and from what Mark explains, it is evident that there is one), no investigation can tease out private financial information like a cross-examination under oath. I also understand the livelihood claim you bring up (and how this case can hurt it and the community) but if there is a bursary award in the amount that Mark is suggesting, IMHO the path Mark is taking is logical and well worth the risk.

If the only good that comes from this is that Dupcak has to ante up and pay a fair amount of child support, that in itself seems like something. At least for the mom and child.

I think there is much, much more to this. What is missing from the scenario explained by JC is that if a child support issue is in front of the courts, the judge won't be content to hear "alright, I'll pay" even if there is the slightest hint of evidence that a bursary award might exist in the dollar value Mark suggests. It will be more like, "let's hear more about this hidden money" - to act in any other manner would be counter-intuitive to the reasons a child support case is brought in front of the courts in the first place.

If the only good that comes from this is that Dupcak has to ante up and pay a fair amount of child support, that in itself seems like something. At least for the mom and child.

I think there is much, much more to this. What is missing from the scenario explained by JC is that if a child support issue is in front of the courts, the judge won't be content to hear "alright, I'll pay" even if there is the slightest hint of evidence that a bursary award might exist in the dollar value Mark suggests. It will be more like, "let's hear more about this hidden money" - to act in any other manner would be counter-intuitive to the reasons a child support case is brought in front of the courts in the first place.

Yup.

They don't muck around once there is reason to believe that you've been neglecting your own children.

(thumbs u

Hey, let's just see how it plays out, and who turns out to be right or wrong.

If Danny is forced to reveal his entire web of elicit financial dealing, then I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

Hey, let's just see how it plays out, and who turns out to be right or wrong.

If Danny is forced to reveal his entire web of elicit financial dealing, then I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

:o

I just emailed this to myself and 1000 of my closest friends.

Not to be overly pessimistic, but to think that you're going to generate enough money to cover all of expenditures necessary for a qualified attorney to bring Dupcak to justice here on these messages boards is insane. You're looking at a minimum of six figures, hours and hours of time spent and who's to say he doesn't deny it all, hire his own defense team and counter sue you right back?

Uh, no. I think you misunderstand the situation and the proceedings. First, it wouldn't cost six figures, as I believe Mark is simply retaining this attorney as specialized help. This isn't going to cost six figures. I think Mark will be doing a great deal of the work, but as he mentioned, he may need some help with respect to how family court works, issues about who the judge is, nuances with regards to child support etc.

Second, this isn't a situation where he can counter sue. This is a child support hearing in family court. If he wanted to sue Jan, he'd have to do so in a separate action.

Not to be overly pessimistic, but to think that you're going to generate enough money to cover all of expenditures necessary for a qualified attorney to bring Dupcak to justice here on these messages boards is insane. You're looking at a minimum of six figures, hours and hours of time spent and who's to say he doesn't deny it all, hire his own defense team and counter sue you right back?

Uh, no. I think you misunderstand the situation and the proceedings. First, it wouldn't cost six figures, as I believe Mark is simply retaining this attorney as specialized help. This isn't going to cost six figures. I think Mark will be doing a great deal of the work, but as he mentioned, he may need some help with respect to how family court works, issues about who the judge is, nuances with regards to child support etc.

Second, this isn't a situation where he can counter sue. This is a child support hearing in family court. If he wanted to sue Jan, he'd have to do so in a separate action.

It's nice to have some smart attorneys on the boards :applause:

I honestly don't know how child support cases work, but if jan57 has filed for a specific amount of child support, could Danny not just agree to pay the amount she's seeking in order to avoid revealing his financial info? If he doesn't contest it, it wouldn't go to court. At least that's how it works with small claims court.

Edited by drewincanada

or otherwise poo-poo this great idea? Thanks! :applause:

I don't think everyone has universally accepted this, and the resultant CGC-sponsored auction, as a "great idea".

Get Danny in front of the courts for fraud, facing a potential jail sentence, and I'll send you a box of books myself.

I can think of no better (and ironic) way to support this cause then with my previously stolen then recovered Fantastic Four #49 - and I'm broke! (This was a 7.5 before the thief cracked it out of the case) Currently NOT slabbed

Estimated value $125? I'll cover shipping..

scan0008.jpg

scan0009.jpg

scan0007.jpg

Edited by ivegotneatstuff

I don't think everyone has universally accepted this, and the resultant CGC-sponsored auction, as a "great idea".

Get Danny in front of the courts for fraud, facing a potential jail sentence, and I'll send you a box of books myself.

I don't get it. For all these years, we've been raising the ante, kicking and screaming about how people are getting scammed - the path of logical conclusion almost always leads to the explanation that there just isn't the amount of exposure and awareness in the collecting community that's needed to protect it against fraud.

Here we have a situation where a nationally (perhaps even internationally) acclaimed litigant is taking on a pro-bono child support case that has gone well past the stage of any notice to meet payment obligations.

There is no way a cross-examination into his solvency would be absent from the proceedings, and this alone produces the kind of fact finding needed to possibly correct any/all allegations of past wrongdoing.

One thing that might be escaping us is that Mark would have a better understanding than most how many civil cases were left pending because local authorities hands are tied when it came to compiling a solid enough case without access to private financial information.

A positive take on this would be that it becomes a story that captures the attention and imagination of the court room, journalists and many comic hobbyists, and that it gets the kind of publicity that would expose any/all actionable insights to as many people as possible.

My question would be if a forewarning and solid evidence to take to eBay and every corner of the Web is the best thing to come out of this, why wouldn't the community here support it through a fundraising event?

Mark - Do you have eBays full cooperation as far as what they are disclosing. I assume they are giving you info only under court order?

...and more importantly, can we film this court proceeding? I think it would make for great viewing. I can see it now at the next comic convention!

Room 101 - Interview with George Lucas - 10:30 AM

Room 102 - Pressing comics - Restoration or not? - 11:00 AM

Room 103 - Danny Dupcak Family Court Proceeding highlights - 12:00 to 2:30 PM SOLD OUT!

Edited by ivegotneatstuff

Hammer! Glad to have you back.

Fine. You've been heard. Now can it and quit ting on this thread. We're all adults and we'll come to our own conclusions about donating something to the cause or not.

Mark: Donation sent via paypal. Best of luck.