• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's finally time to put Danny Dupcak out of business auction FUNDRAISER
2 2

607 posts in this topic

or otherwise poo-poo this great idea? Thanks! :applause:

I don't think everyone has universally accepted this, and the resultant CGC-sponsored auction, as a "great idea".

Get Danny in front of the courts for fraud, facing a potential jail sentence, and I'll send you a box of books myself.

I don't get it. For all these years, we've been raising the ante, kicking and screaming about how people are getting scammed - the path of logical conclusion almost always leads to the explanation that there just isn't the amount of exposure and awareness in the collecting community that's needed to protect it against fraud.

Here we have a situation where a nationally (perhaps even internationally) acclaimed litigant is taking on a pro-bono child support case that has gone well past the stage of any notice to meet payment obligations.

There is no way a cross-examination into his solvency would be absent from the proceedings, and this alone produces the kind of fact finding needed to possibly correct any/all allegations of past wrongdoing.

One thing that might be escaping us is that Mark would have a better understanding than most how many civil cases were left pending because local authorities hands are tied when it came to compiling a solid enough case without access to private financial information.

A positive take on this would be that it becomes a story that captures the attention and imagination of the court room, journalists and many comic hobbyists, and that it gets the kind of publicity that would expose any/all actionable insights to as many people as possible.

My question would be if a forewarning and solid evidence to take to eBay and every corner of the Web is the best thing to come out of this, why wouldn't the community here support it through a fundraising event?

I agree.. donation sent!

What I don't get is this: if you represent Jan in the child support proceedings, then you have an ethical obligation to act in her best interests. That means that you can't ethically do anything that would make it unlikely that she could collect child support from Danny once you obtain a higher award for her.

If you are planning to go after Danny by using the information you obtain while representing Jan, and you try to use that information to put him out of business, you will be acting in a manner adverse to your client's (Jan's) interests because you'll be interfering with Danny's ability to pay the child support. That is a conflict of interest and a real ethical dilemma. Have you given this any consideration? If so, what is the answer?

No lawyer worth his salt wouldn't have given this advance consideration and discussed it with the client beforehand to ensure everyone is on the same page as to potential risks, pitfalls, strategy and/or end objectives.

Without waiving attorney-client privilege or revealing client confidences, there is neither a conflict nor an ethical dilemma that exists in this specific case.

S
Not to be overly pessimistic, but to think that you're going to generate enough money to cover all of expenditures necessary for a qualified attorney to bring Dupcak to justice here on these messages boards is insane. You're looking at a minimum of six figures, hours and hours of time spent and who's to say he doesn't deny it all, hire his own defense team and counter sue you right back?

Uh, no. I think you misunderstand the situation and the proceedings. First, it wouldn't cost six figures, as I believe Mark is simply retaining this attorney as specialized help. This isn't going to cost six figiures. I think Mark will be doing a great deal of the work, but as he mentioned, he may need oe help with respect to how family court works, issues about who the judge is, nuances with regards to child support

Second, this isn't a situation where he can counter sue. This is a child support hearing in family court. If he wanted to sue Jan, he'd have to do so in a separate action.

I haven't misunderstood anything. You are kidding youself if you don't think Dupcak if he feels he is wrongly accused wouldn't file suit against esquirecomics or anyone else whom he feels is ruining his buisness and public reputation. Simply bringing up what some feel are unethical buisness practices at a single custody hearing and to think that you're going to get the answers you're looking for isn't even realistic.

I can only hope for such an opportunity to delve into every aspect of his life and financial business. Bring it on Danny!!! Please, please, please.

My law firm address for service of the legal papers is 1250 Connecticut Avenue, N.W., Ste. 200, Washington, D.C. 20036.

Thank you to everyone who has donated funds and/or books. (thumbs u

Please do keep both coming!!! :applause:

Although the auction will start Sunday, books can still be donated while it is active and, frankly, even after. I can always sell them through EsquireComics.

No lawyer worth his salt wouldn't have given this advance consideration and discussed it with the client beforehand to ensure everyone is on the same page as to potential risks, pitfalls, strategy and/or end objectives.

Without waiving attorney-client privilege or revealing client confidences, there is neither a conflict nor an ethical dilemma that exists in this specific case.

OK good, cause we were worried that you might mess this one up.

Mark, if you need any help at all, feel free to PM me.

:baiting:

OK good, cause we were worried that you might mess this one up.

Mark, if you need any help at all, feel free to PM me.

:baiting:

Roy, if Danny ever runs to Canada, you're the hitman I'm hiring. (thumbs u

Whoops, I probably shouldn't admit that on a message board. doh!

I can only hope for such an opportunity to delve into every aspect of his life and financial business. Bring it on Danny!!! Please, please, please.

My law firm address for service of the legal papers is 1250 Connecticut Avenue, N.W., Ste. 200, Washington, D.C. 20036.

Now that's an invitation to dance. I love it.

S
Not to be overly pessimistic, but to think that you're going to generate enough money to cover all of expenditures necessary for a qualified attorney to bring Dupcak to justice here on these messages boards is insane. You're looking at a minimum of six figures, hours and hours of time spent and who's to say he doesn't deny it all, hire his own defense team and counter sue you right back?

Uh, no. I think you misunderstand the situation and the proceedings. First, it wouldn't cost six figures, as I believe Mark is simply retaining this attorney as specialized help. This isn't going to cost six figiures. I think Mark will be doing a great deal of the work, but as he mentioned, he may need oe help with respect to how family court works, issues about who the judge is, nuances with regards to child support

Second, this isn't a situation where he can counter sue. This is a child support hearing in family court. If he wanted to sue Jan, he'd have to do so in a separate action.

I haven't misunderstood anything. You are kidding youself if you don't think Dupcak if he feels he is wrongly accused wouldn't file suit against esquirecomics or anyone else whom he feels is ruining his buisness and public reputation. Simply bringing up what some feel are unethical buisness practices at a single custody hearing and to think that you're going to get the answers you're looking for isn't even realistic.

:hail:

Good Luck Mark!! :applause:

I wish I had more to give and DD burned me for 120.00 when he

was Comic-Keys and then sent me the e-mail requesting my want

lists to avoid those pesky e-bay fees.

All three items sold as a lot and shipped free to any where the winner lives.

OAAW67.jpg

OAAW 67 Cream/OW serial # 0944264005

Not a bad looking 6.0 with a small dust shadow down the leading

edge of the front cover. Back cover is clean and the book is crease

free.

Picture1004.jpg

I don't know how to really grade these and this DC War guide is in

excellent shape. VF/NM (shrug)

Picture998.jpg

Comic Book Marketplace # 47 May 97'

I would call this a FN/VF with excellent inside pages and a great

article with Russ Heath and many awesome war covers in bright

colors.

I will send some funds on payday Mark and thanks for taking this

on. (thumbs u

S

I didn't mean for you to get so on the defensive; I was just playing devils advocate. I wouldn't know the slightest about criminal litigation as I haven't been into a courtroom in over six years. To be perfectly honest I also haven't read to much into this Dupcak situtation other than he was defrauding clientele. Does it not make sense to you though that he may take on any retalitory means necessary in order to salvage his reputation?

-David (who will stay out of this)

I'm just going to leave it at that, and I really do hope that Danny allows the court case to continue to fruition, and Mark is allowed full and complete access to his financial records, which may ultimately help bring him down, but I just don't think DD is that stupid.

But good luck.

Use your imagination JC instead of finding a way to sour this thread with your negativity. It might open up a can of worms for him with the IRS if its proven in court that he has been hiding income all these years. meh

The boards did raise more than $80,000 recently for another worthy cause.

S

I didn't mean for you to get so on the defensive; I was just playing devils advocate. I wouldn't know the slightest about criminal litigation as I haven't been into a courtroom in over six years. To be perfectly honest I also haven't read to much into this Dupcak situtation other than he was defrauding clientele. Does it not make sense to you though that he may take on any retalitory means necessary in order to salvage his reputation?

-David (who will stay out of this)

I don't believe I was being defensive. Indeed, if anything I might say I'm being offensive, as in "on the"! :banana:

For one thing, the only public reputation he has is that of a fraud and convicted criminal so there really isn't much to salvage.

(thumbs u Thats why we kick Major !If 14000 board members sent $5 thats $70,000.What if each person sent $40? Thats the differance.

Then Mark can cover the legal fees and buy that 8.0 Tec #27 next month. lol