• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ongoing SILVERWOLF/Greater Mercury comics thread.
2 2

68 posts in this topic

I know some of you will dig this- I was able to obtain a nice scan of the unpublished Grips #7 cover (Silverwolf) by Tim Vigil:

grips7-1.jpg

Tim Definitely re-purposed this idea for a ''Faust Singha's Talons'' cover!

:blush::devil:

I've been looking for any oa from megaton. My brother got me the oa to the whole megaton story from the Christmas special, but the original pages from 1-8 would be cool. I think I heard that the Larsen pages burned with his house in the 90's. But there are some other great artists that worked on the series.

Mr 9.8, thanks a million for the link in the first post!

I'd have to say Grips vol 1 is one of the top unfinished stories I always wanted to read. According to that link, Silver plans to finish all those stories! Great stuff. Although Grips vol 2 started after the full unfinished vol 1 story ended, so there were spoilers laid out. Still, I don't care.

I used to pick a lot of these books up when they came out and had letters in Greater Mercury's Grips, Dark Assassin, and I think Edge. GMC's Dark Assassin, Grips Adventures, and Edge comics were my favorites. Of course Vigil's Grips was the top of the list for Silverwolf.

In the last few years I went and picked up all these books I used to have. Mile High had them all for real cheap IIRC.

The Tim Vigil Grips stories are continued in GMC Action. It even continues the numbering of the original Grips series by starting with #5.

Heritage Auction just had the first 2 (very hard to find) Tim Vigil Grips portfolios at auction until last night. I'm blown away that I was the only bidder. I was willing to pay a lot for these bad boys. My winning bid was one whole dollar

Lucky!

The original art to the cover of Greater Mercury Comics Dark Assassin #1:

DarkAssassinVol21cover.jpg

DA1cover.jpg

I loved the first 3 issues of this book.

:applause: (thumbs u
The hero here shouldn't be too ready to kick azz. His opponents look like those L.A.R.P.E.R. dudes.

FYI, I've updated http://www.silverwolfcomics.com for the first time in almost 7 years! Lots of nifty new scans and whatnot.

I did it in honor of needing only one more issue for a complete collection of Silverwolf and GMC comic books. That being SilverWolf Bulletin #5 w/Fat Ninja.

Hey I've seen that site before- very cool. Feel free to use some of my stuff from CAF on there if you want (I have a way bigger pic of the Grips promo poster uploaded plus other goodies). I uploaded some Vigil Grips portfolio plates on one of the 3 Vigil threads in the Copper forum too

I did know about GMC Action but they stopped with Vigil's #6 IIRC. I think the Silverwolf series might have been slated for 12 issues

If you by chance have Kris Silver or Dale Quick's contact info, I'd love to get that if you aren't against giving out the info. I'd like to make them some offers on a couple things. I do have an addy/phone # for Kris but am not sure if it's current

Hey thanks! I'll nab some of your pics when I get a chance. I've tweaked a few more things since the post above and added placeholder images from the SilverWolf Index for some of what I'm missing.

I had Kris's e-mail a long time ago but it was also many computers ago and I don't have it anymore.

These are the things I'm looking for that I'd like nice pictures/scans of:

*SilverWolf*

Eradicators Portfolio

Fat Ninja Portfolio

Fat Ninja Bud Plant Ad

Grips Distributer Ad

Grips Portfolios 1, 2, 3

SilverWolf Bulletin 5, 7, 8, 9, 10(this one is on a 1987 Comic Buyers Guide)

*Greater Mercury*

Psycho-Path Portfolio

Psycho-Path Special Set

Anything else on the "unconfirmed" section checklist pages of SilverWolfComics.com

Kpaqu1, your site is awesome! I bookmarked it years ago, but stopped visiting until now.

Maybe someone here can provide some info on a Grips portfolio I received quite a few years ago. I got it with my copy of Grips V2, # 1 Limited cover (GMC). It came in a plain white envelope with the Silverwolf logo in the top left corner and the eight included plates numbered 559 out of 2500. The only other info printed is "Grips Portfolio."

Can anyone tell me which portfolio # this would be? Here are pics of the portfolio.

portfolioenvelope.th.jpg89893933.th.jpg95588192.th.jpg98485142.th.jpg12608573.th.jpg

80916894.th.jpg62483377.th.jpg79057701.th.jpg18523167.th.jpg

Kpaqu1, your site is awesome! I bookmarked it years ago, but stopped visiting until now.

Maybe someone here can provide some info on a Grips portfolio I received quite a few years ago. I got it with my copy of Grips V2, # 1 Limited cover (GMC). It came in a plain white envelope with the Silverwolf logo in the top left corner and the eight included plates numbered 559 out of 2500. The only other info printed is "Grips Portfolio."

Can anyone tell me which portfolio # this would be? Here are pics of the portfolio.

portfolioenvelope.th.jpg89893933.th.jpg95588192.th.jpg98485142.th.jpg12608573.th.jpg

80916894.th.jpg62483377.th.jpg79057701.th.jpg18523167.th.jpg

This is definitely the GMC Grips Portfolio from 1990. The plates have similar printing and hand numbering as the GMC Edge Portfolio. If the comic you have is also numbered it was sold as set for $35. Bill C is also correct that it's Muro art. I recognize the second to last plate as the cover to Grips v2 #2.

Excellent find! The first time I've seen it. And I can move it to the "confirmed" section of the checklist.

Edited by kpaqu1

I have a Grips ad (not sure if its the same one you want) and all the plates from the Grips portfolio 1 and 2 (also 4, 5, and 6). I've never even seen anything from the 3rd portfolio. The other stuff I have is original art related

This is the ad I've never seen: Grips Distributor Ad The red one that's 11x17 I have. Unless you have something else discovered?

Those first three Vigil Grips portfolios are tough since they were limited to 100 and according to the SilverWolf Index only 90 of each were put into distribution. Ever seen the Eradicators or Fat Ninja portfolios? Only 80 of each distributed and they don't have the popularity of Grips/Vigil to make them visible.

I have a Grips ad (not sure if its the same one you want) and all the plates from the Grips portfolio 1 and 2 (also 4, 5, and 6). I've never even seen anything from the 3rd portfolio. The other stuff I have is original art related

This is the ad I've never seen: Grips Distributor Ad The red one that's 11x17 I have. Unless you have something else discovered?

Those first three Vigil Grips portfolios are tough since they were limited to 100 and according to the SilverWolf Index only 90 of each were put into distribution. Ever seen the Eradicators or Fat Ninja portfolios? Only 80 of each distributed and they don't have the popularity of Grips/Vigil to make them visible.

Ok, I've never seen the Grips ad you're talking about.

I saw the Grips portfolio #3 placeholder on your site- never saw that ad before- is it from one of the comics? Please let me know where it can be found, I'll take a hi res scan of it and blow up the top plate ridiculously huge, like I did for the Grips 7 (Silverwolf) cover taken from Tim's art book. The top plate must be from the 3rd portfolio (and looks amazing) but all the other plates behind it look like they were taken from either the 4th or 5th portfolios.

I might have seen some Fat Ninja portfolios for sale once, but can't quite remember as I wasn't into Fat Ninja or the Eradicators.

I was hoping you might have seen some Grips novellas but I saw on your site that they're still unconfirmed.

Here's something cool no ones ever seen- Before Doran Fish got the art job for Dark Assassin (GMC), he did a try out for Grips (GMC):

GripstryoutpageDoranFish.jpg

Getting the SilverWolf Index is a must. It was put out by GMC and has info about all the stuff published by SilverWolf like print runs etc.. That's where all the "placeholders" come from. But the printing is cheapo newsprint and the images are small so I don't know how much extra detail you'll get out of them.

Never seen any of the novellas. I think that the audience for prose was not the same as the comics and not that many were printed and sold. My guess is that they're ashcan size and not that many pages, but I could be wrong.

Cool art! I have to take some better pictures of the art I have so I can show it off too.