• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Parade of Pleasure

18 posts in this topic

Not an easy book to find and when one usually does it is expensive (if the dealer knows what they have).

Not one copy for sale on Abebooks or Albris.

For those who have access to some hard to find comic magazines, there is an article by David Miller on POP in the Jan-Mar #3 1994 issue of "Gold & Silver: Overstreet's Comic Book Quarterly".

Thank you for that info. This is my father's old copy that lay in his private book collection, mainly consisting of about 2,000 mass media and pop culture books. He's a professor of communications and I remember seeing it in his collection from when I was a kid, along with a nice copy of SOTI, with the dust cover as well.

I finally convinced him to give it to me last year. You actually might find his last book interesting. JIC here it is..

http://www.amazon.ca/Funnies-Beyond-Critical-Hundred-America/dp/081331870X/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263260694&sr=1-8

Thank you for that info. This is my father's old copy that lay in his private book collection, mainly consisting of about 2,000 mass media and pop culture books. He's a professor of communications and I remember seeing it in his collection from when I was a kid, along with a nice copy of SOTI, with the dust cover as well.

I finally convinced him to give it to me last year. You actually might find his last book interesting. JIC here it is..

http://www.amazon.ca/Funnies-Beyond-Critical-Hundred-America/dp/081331870X/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263260694&sr=1-8

That's your dad's book? Looks to be very interesting! Can you tell us a little bit more about the contents? Shame its not available.

Well he edited the book I believe. I haven't read this one as he has written quite a few, mainly on the subject of popular culture. However, I believe it's contents mainly cover the first 100 years of comics, the evolution and their influence on society as a whole. He's a boardie (DanDare1) and has only posted a couple of times.

I think this may be his one and only post on anti comic propaganda in the 50's and the "Cycle of Outrage". Thought you might find it and the links interesting.

Anti comic propaganda

He would be able to give you a more in-depth summary of the book and would probably happily fill the page doing so..lol

For those who have access to some hard to find comic magazines, there is an article by David Miller on POP in the Jan-Mar #3 1994 issue of "Gold & Silver: Overstreet's Comic Book Quarterly".

I've got all these mags except for the first issue. I keep them on hand and love going back and reading them fairly often.

I'll go back and reread this now!

Not an easy book to find and when one usually does it is expensive (if the dealer knows what they have).

Not one copy for sale on Abebooks or Albris

Oh, I figured as much. I was lucky and bought my copt of SOTI (with dustjacket and biblio) many years ago at one of the Chicago Comic-Cons for $25, IIRC. Don't presume to get that lucky again with POP