• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carbonaro One-Day Show - 2/27/10 - NY Armory

118 posts in this topic

My mother-in-law just had her flight cancelled OUT of NYC. That made me panic, can anyone clarify if JH Williams 3 made it in from California for the show? It would be good to know before I get on the train at 9 am ish.

You panicked 'cause your mother-in-law is still in town. Very understandable.

Well, the show went on and really picked up after 12 noon or so. I was able to get my JHW3 sketch and a page of cool art from him, and decided to pass on Billy da Sienk. But I rapped with him for a while, so that was groovy. Groovy as well were Jim and Wendy Williams, and I value the time we spent talking ALMOST as much as the art I got. ;-) And Sean Chen did a GREAT piece for me but I can't show it as it is part of my new super cool sketch idea. I also found some new artists that I will have to commission in the future like Khary Randolph, Daixong, and Tim Smith. Long time for 5 sketches, but now that I am home I am happy as can be!!!!! I hope others did as well as I did.

I had an okay time. It didn't really feel like there were many people there, which was a bummer. I got a few comics (4 of the 5 Aquamans I need to finish the run, a couple few ECs, and some other stuff) but spent most of my time with the creators. I had a long talk with Dan Slott, who I gather is a writer on Spider-Man. he was a really good guy, totally easy to talk to, and very funny. He told me his favorite thing he's written is early She-Hulk stuff, so I have the TPB form Amazon on the way.

I got commissions from Billy Tucci (Flash running in colored pencils), Bill Sienkiewicz (Flash dukin' it out with Mirror Master), Mark Texeira (Flash Runnin' again) and Herb Trimpe (Flash runnin' for a 3rd time!). Only Texeira actually completed the drawing today, which looks awesome. The rest said they'd have them ready within a month, which is fine by me. I stood around and watched Sienkiewicz draw for a while, which was very cool.

I ran into Point 5 there, but was engrossed in trying to talk Harley Yee down on the price for the Aquamans, so I think I might have been a bit rude. Sorry Jon!

I heard Anthony Castrillo was there doing covers. Would have liked to see that process live and in-person.

He was not...not that I saw.

He came by for a book for me, then bolted!

Heard Starlin, Ayers, a few more cancelled.

Chris Claremont left early.

Longest.

Day

Ever.

Wow.

I'm pretty sure Starlin was there; if not, who was the balding, goateed, hook-nosed gentleman that was holding court at the storytellers panel?

Saw a few boardies, a few artists, bought a couple books, etc. Also stopped and had a nice chat with Mile High Chuck going through long boxes with his binders open beside him.

That's about it, got there at about 12:30 or so and was done before 4.

I ran into Point 5 there, but was engrossed in trying to talk Harley Yee down on the price for the Aquamans, so I think I might have been a bit rude. Sorry Jon!

Nah, no worries man. (thumbs u

Nah, no worries man. (thumbs u

So the show was so-so? When I came home later yesterday they had sent out emails stating half off admission starting at 4 pm. My thought was the show did not do so well with the snow. But I was in the City today and it was fine.

Didn't draw one line. The original plan was to hang with some friends but i realized id rather be home with the wife and daughter instead.

And Rich I didn't bolt,i did shake your hand didn't I?lol

The show was depressing and it was suffocating.

And for the record,I never draw at cons. I decline offers and I never wear a name tag.I go as a fan.

I had such a good time i thought the show was awesome lots of stuff to look at .I didnt go to see artists or anything so i dont know how that part was i just went to make myself poor once again buying everything i see

I hear Orange County was socked with 30 inches of snow, so that might have kept a few people away. And for some, though the snow had stopped falling and the streets were mostly clear in midtown Manhattan, in the outer boro's and the suburbs, folks saw the drifting snow and stayed home to shovel their driveways.

The dealers seemed to do very well. I had my eye on a signed Miraclemam #16, of which there were four in the room at the start of the day. At 4 PM I bought the last one for $35. I noticed lots of gaping holes on Oliver's display stand, and at closing time the last dealer with the 4-for-a-dollar-boxes was having a hard time keeping up with the dissappearing merchandise. Yes, Chuck was loading up like a starving man at an all-you-can-eat buiffet.

As a writer/small-press publisher (Captain Marvel Culture) I did terrific, with a 50% success rate at selling a $5 item to people I talked to, and a 95% success rate on getting people to join my mailing list.