• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC - Who's talking smack ?

131 posts in this topic

Lots and lots....and lots....and lots...of people cannot grade. Lots of those people think everything they own is much better quality than it is.

These are the people who hate CGC.

They are the same types of people who hated PCGS and NGC.

I remember months back someone posted a link to a forum where they were hating on CGC. They were spouting all kinds of ridiculous craap like "A friend told me that (when CGC does on-site grading) if you argue with the graders long enough they'll cave in and give you the grade you want" lol Part of the tinfoil hat wearing community no doubt

I remember months back someone posted a link to a forum where they were hating on CGC. They were spouting all kinds of ridiculous craap like "A friend told me that (when CGC does on-site grading) if you argue with the graders long enough they'll cave in and give you the grade you want" lol Part of the tinfoil hat wearing community no doubt

This is the sort of nonsense I'm talking about. "my friend said..." , "a friend told me..." Who are these friends ?

This is the sort of nonsense I'm talking about. "my friend said..." , "a friend told me..." Who are these friends ?

Maybe Imaginary friends? :insane:

Maybe Imaginary friends? :insane:
:roflmao:

I've submitted probably a couple thousand books by now and I lived in Sarasota for a year - as recently as last May. The CGC allowed me to drop off and pick up my books in person...which saved me quite a bit in shipping costs. I think anyone can drop off or pick up in person but they must have an appointment in advance..but don't quote me on that. Don't expect tours of the facility though....one is allowed into a waiting room with 4 offices for filling out CGC forms and organizing your books (or coins) prior to submission or pickup...but not into the grading areas, etc. There are obviously security measures in place - for obvious reasons.

In my opinion, the facility is very, very nice.. and very well run...and very safe. If you want to see what it looks like, just do a google map satellite search.

Out of all of the books I have submitted, I have only thought the grade was off a few times. A couple of the times they explained to me why..and I agreed with them. Another couple times they agreed..and actually bumped the grade up. Out of the number of books I have submitted, Thats less than 1% of the time... not even .5 %

I will also say, which I don't think anyone here has on this thread yet, that I have sent books in and been very happy with a couple grades I have received... and they came back HIGHER than I thought they would. Of course, nobody complains about that! Based on this.. I would say if you send enough books in..the law of averages will work in your favor...and we are very lucky to have these honest graders who in my opinion are of very high integrity and character.

Of course, a business could take "a bribe" or whatever the person you spoke to "claimed" was happening at the CGC...but think about it. Do you think the CGC would risk their entire business and its reputation - which includes coin grading and all the rest - for this guys stupid books? From what I understand, the receiver takes out the books and assigns them a anonymous code number anyway...and the graders have no idea whose books they are grading..until the final grade is assigned and the code number is "matched back up" with the submitter..

Obviously...this is not a perfect science. We are not measuring the PH of a liquid here..or the distance from Boston to Minneapolis. Its comic book grading...and even having 3 experts look at the book and having Mark scrutinize it as the final grader can still yield one result on Monday and a different one on Thursday...but 9 times out of 10 I don't think that would be the case... and lets face it... its the best system we have! If you add 50 graders to the process to make the law of averages work out to make the "perfect" comic book grade, you are increasing the costs of the process substantially. If you lower the amount of graders to reduce cost, you are going to have higher fluctuating grades.

...and thats all I have to say....bout that

I'd be surprised if this thread makes it to Monday. Wonder who those ex-employees were and what kind of positions they held?

Honestly, I think the guy that said this was blowing hot air trying to sound like a somebody in the know. He's also the one that stated he visited them in Sarasota and saw the facilities and that they were a joke.

Anyone here been there ? What are they like ? Are customers even allowed in there ?

Are there pics of the facilities ?

I live in Sarasota and I have been there. A very nice building in the new part of town. The waiting room/lobby is very nice with nice furnitures and carpets(classy, old money kind of stuff, not modern Ikea stuffs). A few big flat screens on the wall so you can watch CNBC and ESPN, etc...There is a secured gate that you need to buzz to get inside.

1)Yes, you must make an appointment 24 hours ahead to drop by.

2)Unless you are a dealer, I don't know what kind of arrangement is needed...but for common folks, unless you have at least 100 books to submit, you are not allowed to drop off or pick up in person.

as far as picture, no I won't drive by and snap a picture of the gate...as someone else has asked me before.

I'd be surprised if this thread makes it to Monday. Wonder who those ex-employees were and what kind of positions they held?

Honestly, I think the guy that said this was blowing hot air trying to sound like a somebody in the know. He's also the one that stated he visited them in Sarasota and saw the facilities and that they were a joke.

Anyone here been there ? What are they like ? Are customers even allowed in there ?

Are there pics of the facilities ?

I live in Sarasota and I have been there. A very nice building in the new part of town. The waiting room/lobby is very nice with nice furnitures and carpets(classy, old money kind of stuff, not modern Ikea stuffs). A few big flat screens on the wall so you can watch CNBC and ESPN, etc...There is a secured gate that you need to buzz to get inside.

1)Yes, you must make an appointment 24 hours ahead to drop by.

2)Unless you are a dealer, I don't know what kind of arrangement is needed...but for common folks, unless you have at least 100 books to submit, you are not allowed to drop off or pick up in person.

as far as picture, no I won't drive by and snap a picture of the gate...as someone else has asked me before.

Thanks. Next time I run into this gentleman who claims to have visited there I'll have to quiz him a little bit.

Out of all of the books I have submitted, I have only thought the grade was off a few times. A couple of the times they explained to me why..and I agreed with them. Another couple times they agreed..and actually bumped the grade up.

hm I'm not really sure what to think about that. I was under the impression that once the book is graded, that's its grade (shrug)