• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man gets a new director

73 posts in this topic

Personally I think some costumes will look stupid on the big screen. Spider-Man looked great, no doubt about it, but Wolverine wouldn't exactly instill fear in my heart if he wound up wearing his yellow outfit. Creative liberties like that I have nothing wrong with, bad acting and an even worse story I do have a problem with.

Exactly, Wolverine in the yellow costume would look silly, take the Watchmen movie for example, didn`t Nite-Owl look lame?

:gossip: Nite Owl's costume in the book and the film don't really look similar outside of being brown.

Watchmen%2BNiteowl-comic%2Band%2Bmovie%2Bcostume.jpg

How come the X-MEN wore black biker leather..well duh they told us, their comicbook costumes would look just too darn silly on the BIG SCREEN.

That was definitely part of it, but the main reason was due to BLADE, which was the real impetus for the latest super-hero fad. Without its success, we wouldn't have seen X-Men (or at least with that budget), which then led to Spider-man, and the rest is history.

I would also contend that Blade paved the way for a whole generation of leather-clad heroes, including those in The Matrix. Wesley made wearing leather cool again.

Regardless of the director, the story is what's going to drive this movie. If in fact they do plan on a reboot, they'll need a really good way of doing that and not make it seem like trashing something that came out less than 10 years ago.

Raimi was a relatively controversial choice when he was picked for the first Spider-Man.

He was known for, mostly, B-movies and campy style films. Turns out he has loved Spider-man all his life and his style meshed perfectly.

I don't mind a new director, really, because Raimi's idea for the 4th film would have torpedoed the entire franchise and was really a departure from the known universe.

Also, as long as this director loses the spend-every-moment-on-screen-weeping-weepy-little-baby-tears-and-I-don't-want-to-wear-the-mask-like-ever-because-then-I-can't-adequately-market-myself-for-my-next-film-Spider-man it will be alright.

Yes, please lose this:

"But Aunt May hates me, and Harry hates me, and MJ left me, and I have itchy anus, and this is Lost's last season, and I didn't get nominated for a Golden Globe and it's all SO SAD"

007SM3_Tobey_Maguire_082.jpg

What was his idea for the fourth one that went against the known universe?

Maguire was in LOST?

So will this movie be targeted towards the MTV generation?

Obviously they're looking for the Twilight crowd and will make this more a teen soap than a super-hero movie.

I really feel bad for you hardcore fans, as this shows that movies will never "continue" in a comic book manner, with characters changing, growing, dying, etc. - it'll just be one reboot after another. Why would any fan pay money to support that model?

I agree with about half of this. I don't see this being made for the typical Twilight fan. 500 Days of Summer is an enjoyable movie, not on the same level as Twilight. Really, I'm curious as to why you think it's so obvious.

No comic book movies should ever go in a comic book manner (the one time they did, we got 'Batman and Robin'). I've always viewed them as being movies for the masses--not a small percentage of fans. These movies are being made to make a profit and to appeal to the average person who has never picked up a comic book before. I think comic book fans need to start accepting that and quit getting all butt hurt over it. It'll make life much happier.

Sounds like a Hollywood copout to me. They can make superhero movies that are faithful to the source material and still loved by the masses. Anything else is just doublespeak for people who are embarrassed to be working with "kids stuff" or they just want to change enough to make it their own. If the director takes the material seriously and plays it straight ala Richard Donner and not camp it up ala Schumacher it can appeal to everyone.

I think the masses are aware that comic's just aren't for kids anymore, with The Dark Knight and Watchmen release's.

Frankly, I see nothing wrong with them wanting to make money. Thats how Hollywood is. Sometimes they do good, sometimes, they don't.

Yeah everyone except Aaron Eckhart. Campiest performance I've seen since Arnold as Mr. Freeze.

I just saw this.

More Spider-Man Reboot Details? Source:Risky Business January 20, 2010

Yesterday, Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios confirmed that (500) Days of Summer helmer Marc Webb is going to direct the Spider-Man reboot. In reporting on the news, the Risky Business blog has some possible more details on the project:

Webb, who has options on two sequels, will now tackle a Jamie Vanderbilt -script that sees a “Spider-Man” movie that will look and feel very different from the big movies that went before it.

The plan for the movie is to be in the $80 million range and feature a cast of relative unknowns (so you can quash those Rob Pattinson or Gordon-Levitt rumors at this point). And the story will be pared down to center on a high school kid who is dealing with the knowledge that his uncle died even though the teen had the power to stop it.

The touchstone for the new movie will not be the 1960s comics, which were the inspiration behind the movies by Raimi, who grew on up on them, but rather this past decade’s “Ultimate Spider-Man” comics by Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley where the villain-fighting took a back seat to the high school angst.

Please keep in mind that none of this is confirmed and we may not know for sure until closer to release. Stay tuned for more announcements as they come in...

So will this movie be targeted towards the MTV generation?

Obviously they're looking for the Twilight crowd and will make this more a teen soap than a super-hero movie.

I really feel bad for you hardcore fans, as this shows that movies will never "continue" in a comic book manner, with characters changing, growing, dying, etc. - it'll just be one reboot after another. Why would any fan pay money to support that model?

I agree with about half of this. I don't see this being made for the typical Twilight fan. 500 Days of Summer is an enjoyable movie, not on the same level as Twilight. Really, I'm curious as to why you think it's so obvious.

No comic book movies should ever go in a comic book manner (the one time they did, we got 'Batman and Robin'). I've always viewed them as being movies for the masses--not a small percentage of fans. These movies are being made to make a profit and to appeal to the average person who has never picked up a comic book before. I think comic book fans need to start accepting that and quit getting all butt hurt over it. It'll make life much happier.

Sounds like a Hollywood copout to me. They can make superhero movies that are faithful to the source material and still loved by the masses. Anything else is just doublespeak for people who are embarrassed to be working with "kids stuff" or they just want to change enough to make it their own. If the director takes the material seriously and plays it straight ala Richard Donner and not camp it up ala Schumacher it can appeal to everyone.

I think the masses are aware that comic's just aren't for kids anymore, with The Dark Knight and Watchmen release's.

Frankly, I see nothing wrong with them wanting to make money. Thats how Hollywood is. Sometimes they do good, sometimes, they don't.

Yeah everyone except Aaron Eckhart. Campiest performance I've seen since Arnold as Mr. Freeze.

He was still better than Bale who has no emotion.

Yes, please lose this:

"But Aunt May hates me, and Harry hates me, and MJ left me, and I have itchy anus, and this is Lost's last season, and I didn't get nominated for a Golden Globe and it's all SO SAD"

Maguire was in LOST?

Here's what was in some of the news stories regarding the story Raimi wanted:

Condensed, it went something like this: Peter Parker gets over MJ, finds a new girl, falls in love. But: Peter also discovers her father is actually the Vulture, a naughty green guy with wings to be played by John Malkovich. Peter is torn between the love of his new lady and taking down the Vulture. Being a Spandex tight-, he decides to take down the Vulture, and kills him. This patricide goes down poorly with Peter’s new fiancée, and she rejects him. Despondent, Peter decides to abandon his superpowers, and Movie No. 4 ends with Peter Parker throwing away his Spider-Man mask, and audiences wondering if they are watching Superman II.

Maguire wasn't in Lost, his Spider-man cries about everything, EVERYTHING. Thus, being a fan of Lost, he would cry at it's coming to an end.

superherohype

Interesting choice don't you think? hm

After this announcement last year any Marvel fan should have figured out this was coming for allot of their titles:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i5040ba3f2c4388b6a70a4f010fb0a1c8

It was just a matter of time before their movies would be structured for the "Twilight" crowd.

I for one, am ready to "talk to the moose" to peddle my wares before Avi Arad starts this big budget "Twi-lite" franchise this Christmas.

max.jpg

Moose ah-ah moose :roflmao:.

Yes, please lose this:

Maguire was in LOST?

Here's what was in some of the news stories regarding the story Raimi wanted:

Condensed, it went something like this: Peter Parker gets over MJ, finds a new girl, falls in love. But: Peter also discovers her father is actually the Vulture, a naughty green guy with wings to be played by John Malkovich. Peter is torn between the love of his new lady and taking down the Vulture. Being a Spandex tight-, he decides to take down the Vulture, and kills him. This patricide goes down poorly with Peter’s new fiancée, and she rejects him. Despondent, Peter decides to abandon his superpowers, and Movie No. 4 ends with Peter Parker throwing away his Spider-Man mask, and audiences wondering if they are watching Superman II.

Maguire wasn't in Lost, his Spider-man cries about everything, EVERYTHING. Thus, being a fan of Lost, he would cry at it's coming to an end.

Ah I thought I missed him in an episode somewhere and that he was crying about no Golden Globe for it. I like the idea of Malkovich playing Vulture btw.

I guess it's a debate that really has no way of ever being resolved (like pressing) but I think Raimi should've been left to his own devices. The man didn't want Venom in his movie and so when he was forced he chumped the character.

The man didn't want Venom in his movie and so when he was forced he chumped the character.

I'd love to know where this bizarre fiction got started, as Raimi had ALL the power (and in writing) in Spider-man 3, so there is no one else to blame. He had final -script approval, casting, final cut as director, etc. - no one *could* force him to do anything, and these rights were required to sign him due to the insane success of SM1 and SM2.

Or to look at it another way, no matter how bad Venom was, the "I actually killed Uncle Ben and it's perfectly fine to rape/murder/steal because my daughter's SICK!" Sand-maroon was 100X worse. And Raimi supposedly *loved* that character.

I just saw this.

Yesterday, Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios confirmed that (500) Days of Summer helmer Marc Webb is going to direct the Spider-Man reboot. In reporting on the news, the Risky Business blog has some possible more details on the project:

Webb, who has options on two sequels, will now tackle a Jamie Vanderbilt -script that sees a “Spider-Man” movie that will look and feel very different from the big movies that went before it.

The plan for the movie is to be in the $80 million range and feature a cast of relative unknowns (so you can quash those Rob Pattinson or Gordon-Levitt rumors at this point). And the story will be pared down to center on a high school kid who is dealing with the knowledge that his uncle died even though the teen had the power to stop it.

The touchstone for the new movie will not be the 1960s comics, which were the inspiration behind the movies by Raimi, who grew on up on them, but rather this past decade’s “Ultimate Spider-Man” comics by Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley where the villain-fighting took a back seat to the high school angst.

Please keep in mind that none of this is confirmed and we may not know for sure until closer to release. Stay tuned for more announcements as they come in...

80 million dollar for a Spider-man movie seems low budget?

I just saw this.

80 million dollar for a Spider-man movie seems low budget?

Aside from the director's name, I don't believe a word of that article.

Some of that speculation came from here:

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/01/17/exclusive-rumored-spider-man-director-marc-webb-loves-the-ultimate-stuff/

You kind of wonder how many sources some of the "journalists" are using.

Now it's a THREE PICTURE DEAL.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/01/marc_webb_new_director_of_spid.html

Does anyone else think they should just stop making Spiderman movies for awhile?

The first two were very good, IMO, but the 3rd was pretty weak.

I think they are going to suck a lot from here on out, and I think they are going to do fairly poorly at the box office as well.

Does anyone else think they should just stop making Spiderman movies for awhile?

I think they are going to suck a lot from here on out, and I think they are going to do fairly poorly at the box office as well.

As always, it's all in the execution.

Unfortunately, Sturgeon's law often prevails. :cry:

That's what they thought when they were making the new Batman movies. Batman Begins only made about 200 million which is kinda low for that type of movie,and alot of people I talked to said they aren't going to see it in the theater cause "I think it's gonna suck" Of course once they saw it on dvd,they were blown away,Why else do you think The Dark Knight made 500+ Million? The Joker alone won't bring in that much at the box office. So No,I don't think the Spider-Man movies are going to suck and the box office will still be huge. (500) Days of Summer was very well made. The Iron Man director only had the movie Swingers to his credit before he made Iron Man and look at how that turned out. The New Spider-Man movies aren't even out yet and people already are rejecting them. How sad.