• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man gets a new director

73 posts in this topic

[font:Arial Black]I STILL HATE YOU TWILIGHT!!!!! [/font] :pullhair: :pullhair:
I'm more of a "Let The Right One In" fan myself.

1.jpg

But Hollywood is remaking that one too :pullhair:.

(thumbs u

Except for the hollywood remake part. There is no reason to remake a perfectly good movie.

Danny

The man didn't want Venom in his movie and so when he was forced he chumped the character.

I'd love to know where this bizarre fiction got started, as Raimi had ALL the power (and in writing) in Spider-man 3, so there is no one else to blame. He had final -script approval, casting, final cut as director, etc. - no one *could* force him to do anything, and these rights were required to sign him due to the insane success of SM1 and SM2.

Or to look at it another way, no matter how bad Venom was, the "I actually killed Uncle Ben and it's perfectly fine to rape/murder/steal because my daughter's SICK!" Sand-maroon was 100X worse. And Raimi supposedly *loved* that character.

Here's an excerpt from wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_3

Raimi wanted another villain, and Ben Kingsley was involved in negotiations to play the Vulture before the character was cut.[3] Producer Avi Arad convinced Raimi to include Venom, a character whose perceived "lack of humanity" had initially been criticized by Sam Raimi.[11] Venom's alter-ego, Eddie Brock, already had a minor role in the -script.[23] Arad told the director that Venom had a strong fan base, so Raimi included the character to please them,[22] and even began to appreciate the character himself.[11] The film's version of the character is an amalgamation of Venom stories. Eddie Brock, Jr., the human part of Venom, serves as a mirror to Peter Parker, with both characters having similar jobs and romantic interests.[11] Brock's actions as a journalist in Spider-Man 3 also represent contemporary themes of paparazzi and tabloid journalism.[4] The producers also suggested adding rival love interest Gwen Stacy, filling in an "other girl" type that Raimi already created.[22] With so many additions, Sargent soon found his -script so complex that he considered splitting it into two films, but abandoned the idea when he could not create a successful intermediate climax.[3]

The advantage that the new Batman movies had was that they had let it rest for awhile, and were able to re-invent the character in a fresh way.

If they had put out Batman Begins right after the god-awful stuff that they had been producing ( Batman and Robin was in 1997, Batman Begins was in 2005), I think it would have confused audiences.

Their current narrative is out of steam, and I think it is too soon for a reboot.

They are spreading a good thing too thin at this point.

I don't have an opinion on the director, as I haven't seen any of his work. My main concern is that all of the -script synopsis's that I have heard so far sound pretty bad. They've run out of good ideas.

I think they should just let the franchise rest for 5-10 years, and then put out something that audiences will find fresh.

That's what they thought when they were making the new Batman movies. Batman Begins only made about 200 million which is kinda low for that type of movie,and alot of people I talked to said they aren't going to see it in the theater cause "I think it's gonna suck" Of course once they saw it on dvd,they were blown away,Why else do you think The Dark Knight made 500+ Million? The Joker alone won't bring in that much at the box office. So No,I don't think the Spider-Man movies are going to suck and the box office will still be huge. (500) Days of Summer was very well made. The Iron Man director only had the movie Swingers to his credit before he made Iron Man and look at how that turned out. The New Spider-Man movies aren't even out yet and people already are rejecting them. How sad.

Maybe FFB should chime in, but I think Sony has a time deadline for the Spider-man movies and they need to keep them in production or lose their license to make more movies.

The advantage that the new Batman movies had was that they had let it rest for awhile, and were able to re-invent the character in a fresh way.

If they had put out Batman Begins right after the god-awful stuff that they had been producing ( Batman and Robin was in 1997, Batman Begins was in 2005), I think it would have confused audiences.

Their current narrative is out of steam, and I think it is too soon for a reboot.

They are spreading a good thing too thin at this point.

I don't have an opinion on the director, as I haven't seen any of his work. My main concern is that all of the -script synopsis's that I have heard so far sound pretty bad. They've run out of good ideas.

I think they should just let the franchise rest for 5-10 years, and then put out something that audiences will find fresh.

That's what they thought when they were making the new Batman movies. Batman Begins only made about 200 million which is kinda low for that type of movie,and alot of people I talked to said they aren't going to see it in the theater cause "I think it's gonna suck" Of course once they saw it on dvd,they were blown away,Why else do you think The Dark Knight made 500+ Million? The Joker alone won't bring in that much at the box office. So No,I don't think the Spider-Man movies are going to suck and the box office will still be huge. (500) Days of Summer was very well made. The Iron Man director only had the movie Swingers to his credit before he made Iron Man and look at how that turned out. The New Spider-Man movies aren't even out yet and people already are rejecting them. How sad.

The -script has been written by the same writer who wrote David Fincher's Zodiac (good movie) How can they run out of ideas when Spider-Man has been around since 1962?

Batman Begins only made about 200 million which is kinda low for that type of movie,and alot of people I talked to said they aren't going to see it in the theater cause "I think it's gonna suck" Of course once they saw it on dvd,they were blown away,Why else do you think The Dark Knight made 500+ Million?

Your logic is sound in the first part, as the success of any blockbuster sequel is dependent on the previous movie. Batman Begins suffered because Batman & Robin sucked hard and people still remembered it.

But Batman Begins was a super movie and while it still made bank at the BO, it gained a serious following through DVD and HD sales, helping drive TDK to insane revenues. That's the way it works, as these movies are heavily front-loaded for opening-weekend, and we go in based on our enjoyment of the previous edition or stay away if we disliked it.

But then you go on to state that the incredibly-disappointing, POS-level Spider-man 3 (whose BO benefited from SM1 and SM2) is somehow going to contribute to a higher BO for the next Spidey movie? :screwy:

Hardly, and Spider-man 4 is this generation's Batman & Robin and it's going to hurt the next movie. I also highly doubt it will be as good as Batman Begins, so it could be the lowest grossing of all 4 movies.

They've used the good villains that are likely to translate well to the big screen and resonate with audiences.

The Vulture, Kraven, Mysterio, etc are all going to be difficult to portray on the big screen to a non-comic-reading audience.

There is a reason that out of 6 Batman movies, two of the most successful starred the Joker as a villain. The Joker resonates with a wide audience in a way that a villain like Mr Freeze doesn't.

I'm a huge Spiderman fan. I loved the first two movies. The 3rd one wasn't very good though, even though it had the same director and cast.

They've gone to the well once too often.

The -script has been written by the same writer who wrote David Fincher's Zodiac (good movie) How can they run out of ideas when Spider-Man has been around since 1962?

They've used the good villains that are likely to translate well to the big screen and resonate with audiences.

The Vulture, Kraven, Mysterio, etc are all going to be difficult to portray on the big screen to a non-comic-reading audience.

There is a reason that out of 6 Batman movies, two of the most successful starred the Joker as a villain. The Joker resonates with a wide audience in a way that a villain like Mr Freeze doesn't.

I'm a huge Spiderman fan. I loved the first two movies. The 3rd one wasn't very good though, even though it had the same director and cast.

There is still the Lizard,Scorpion and even the Kingpin,yes the 3rd one was terrible.

I agree with this 1000000%. (worship)

Of course everyone wants to see the Joker,But for a new Spider-Man movie they can redo the Green Goblin as well as bring in Venom...correctly.

I hated Spider-Man 3, I liked the Sandman character, actor but the story was a joke. I heard Sam Raimi wanted to have The Vulture in part 4, I thought this was a bad idea. I actually prefered Sony's story idea Black Cat love interest and a villain. I quite enjoyed those Black Cat storylines back in the 80's.

Of course everyone wants to see the Joker,But for a new Spider-Man movie they can redo the Green Goblin as well as bring in Venom...correctly.

Green Goblin and Venom are, IMO two of the most recognizable Spider-Man villains, much like Joker is in Batman. Which is why I agree'd with it.