• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #1 or #4

86 posts in this topic

I think #4 is a cooler book but from an investment standpoint a #1 is usually better.

I was actually alive and collecting as a kid when these issues came out. I remember being excited about the Avengers #1. Other #1's that came out about the same time like Daredevil and X-Men(I think I passed on this one) were no big deal. I have no recollection of Avengers #4. I think I stopped collecting the title after Hulk left in #2, he gave the group some personality.

did you keep your copy? :wishluck:

#1. First supergroup in the Marvel Universe.

Wouldn't that go to the Fantastic Four? Or were they more of a family? I should have put up a stinkin vote tally box thingy on here! doh!

Avengers = 2nd SA Marvel supergroup

I would take Avengers #1 over #4 but both are great issues.

I was buying um off the shelf then too. I remember MARVEL hyping up Cap before he re-appeared in Avengers #4. They had a Human Torch story in Strange Tales at the time where he battles a fake Cap. That story alone got us kids interested in the character. Was so excited when we heard he was going to be a Avenger.

Those were the days.

Wouldn't that go to the Fantastic Four? Or were they more of a family? I should have put up a stinkin vote tally box thingy on here! doh!

Hmmm, have to say X-men as well. So, FF #1, X-Men #2, then Avengers #3 for Marvel supergroups. :applause: But I digress, keep the comments coming!

Hmmm, have to say X-men as well. So, FF #1, X-Men #2, then Avengers #3 for Marvel supergroups. :applause: But I digress, keep the comments coming!

Sorry, forgot about Xmen

Bob is right, the Avengers were the first supergroup, meaning group composed of established heroes. FF and X-Men were "organic" groups.

The Beatles were a super group, but they weren't a supergroup in rock vernacular because they were nobodies when they formed. Cream, on the other hand, were a supergroup because they were already somebodies when they formed.

I think #4 is a cooler book but from an investment standpoint a #1 is usually better.

I was actually alive and collecting as a kid when these issues came out. I remember being excited about the Avengers #1. Other #1's that came out about the same time like Daredevil and X-Men(I think I passed on this one) were no big deal. I have no recollection of Avengers #4. I think I stopped collecting the title after Hulk left in #2, he gave the group some personality.

I did for a while, then I gave most of my comics to my nephews(my sister's kids) and my sister eventually threw them out !?!

Bob is right, the Avengers were the first supergroup, meaning group composed of established heroes. FF and X-Men were "organic" groups.

The Beatles were a super group, but they weren't a supergroup in rock vernacular because they were nobodies when they formed. Cream, on the other hand, were a supergroup because they were already somebodies when they formed.

Precisely. Good analogy with the Beatles and Cream .

I did for a while, then I gave most of my comics to my nephews(my sister's kids) and my sister eventually threw them out !?!

Where would our hobby be today if the women of America hadn't been so diligent about throwing out comics?

I really needed a poll tracker on this thread! But, as far as I can tell, up to this point it's a dead heat at 10-10! hm Of course, those who are Cap fans will ALWAYS vote for #4, which is a no-brainer. I too believe that the cover of #4 is one of the most iconic and dramatic representations of Cap! Beautiful! Avengers #1, is a bit, meh....