• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #1 or #4

86 posts in this topic

#1. First supergroup in the Marvel Universe.

Wouldn't that go to the Fantastic Four? Or were they more of a family? I should have put up a stinkin vote tally box thingy on here! doh!

I guess I dated myself and used the term "supergroup" ambiguously. I was thinking of the formation of the Avengers as kinda like the formation of Blind Faith or Emerson, Lake and Palmer: a group whose performers are already famous from having performed individually or in other groups.

Unlike the Avengers, the FF were just normal peeps until the group was formed.

Wouldn't everyone here say that Cap is the one who actually made the Avengers THE AVENGERS? I mean really, Hulk was in 1 1/2 issues in the beginning, then became their sworn enemy forever. Giant Man....hmph! Who the heck is that? Wasp....whatever! It was obvious Marvel was "tinkering" around when they created the first team. I believe it was the good ole Cap that made the title what it is today. :acclaim:

Wouldn't everyone here say that Cap is the one who actually made the Avengers THE AVENGERS? I mean really, Hulk was in 1 1/2 issues in the beginning, then became their sworn enemy forever. Giant Man....hmph! Who the heck is that? Wasp....whatever! It was obvious Marvel was "tinkering" around when they created the first team. I believe it was the good ole Cap that made the title what it is today. :acclaim:

Cap is very important to the team but Thor and Iron Man aren't too shabby, I gotta agree Wasp is lame and Ant Man/Giant Man/Mr Big and Small Man was dull as dirt.

Cap is very important to the team but Thor and Iron Man aren't too shabby, I gotta agree Wasp is lame and Ant Man/Giant Man/Mr Big and Small Man was dull as dirt.

EXACTLY what I'm saying torch! Thor and Iron Man definitely fit the bill as Avengers. But Cap is and always will be the first and foremost Avenger, bar none! He eclipses them all in his look and stature as a true Avenger. That's why I created this post! :headbang:

EXACTLY what I'm saying torch! Thor and Iron Man definitely fit the bill as Avengers. But Cap is and always will be the first and foremost Avenger, bar none! He eclipses them all in his look and stature as a true Avenger. That's why I created this post! :headbang:

Dude, don't you think the Cap is a bit too "boy scout". At least Thor has long hair and Iron Man drinks hard. And really, Cap was the team leader because his powers were lamish and Thor and Iron Man did all the heavy lifting.

Dude, don't you think the Cap is a bit too "boy scout". At least Thor has long hair and Iron Man drinks hard. And really, Cap was the team leader because his powers were lamish and Thor and Iron Man did all the heavy lifting.

:applause:

I've always considered Thor and Iron Man* as senior members -- mostly because of their great strength.

*Iron Man in his gold armor seemed stronger and more powerful to my younger eye than in his slimmer, red and gold suit.

Yeah, I can't disagree with you totally here. I wouldn't call Cap a boy scout though. Just more mild mannered and had his head on straight compared to Thor and Shell Head. To be honest, that whole Thor concept just seems too bs for me. I mean, he's a GOD! He could do whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted! Yet in the comics, he's got so many limitations from some pretty lame stuff. At least Iron Man was just a regular alchoholic dude with loads of cash and a cool suit that did his work.

Me too.Besides,imitator or not,

Caps first SA app. was Strange Tales 114 :baiting:

Mr Rogers,no.But in full costume on the cover...

You can't count a "wannabe" as a first appearance. If it wasn't Steve Rogers, it aint Cap.

You can't count a "wannabe" as a first appearance. If it wasn't Steve Rogers, it aint Cap.

Sez right on the cover Captain America...first mention,showing in

the SA.....

Sez right on the cover Captain America...first mention,showing in

the SA.....

You are both right... in fact there are two Captain America's in the book...the Acrobat disguised as Cap...but the real Captain America aka Steve Rogers is also in the book....well sort of.

Take a look