• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee's signature drops book's value by $1635

136 posts in this topic

I once saw a photo of someone who had a small hole cut into a high grade Amazing Fantasy #15 slab. The hole was just large enough for a signature.

They got Stan to sign it but it was otherwise impossible for Stan to touch the book.

Then they had the book re-cased in the CGC Signature case.

How was the owner able to cut through the inner mylar without cutting the book? I've seen window bags and top loaders used to this effect, but never a slab. I'm curious if you saw what you think you saw.

That book was sold on Comiclink last year and it showed a series of photos of the procedure, before and after.

Basically, they cut a hole in an empty slab first I think, and then put the AF 15 into the slab. I don;t know if they put it into the pre-cut slab themselves, or if CGC put it in there for them.

I never understood why ANYONE would have a key silver age booked signed ....

An autograph defaces the item and makes it not worth much.

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

I never understood why ANYONE would have a key silver age booked signed ....unless its by Steve Ditko

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

Fixed that for you (thumbs u

I never understood why ANYONE would have a key silver age booked signed ....Unless its beat up and not worth much I dont see the point at all..

Like having a 52 Mantle rookie card with his auto on it..Hate to tell ya but the auto makes it worth much less..

Unless you know for a fact you will never sell the book and you will leave it to your kids (shrug) BUT if you want your kids to have an item worth something DONT destroy its market value by having a signature on it..

An autograph defaces the item and makes it not worth much..Be it by the greatest comic mind ever OR the greatest ball player ever .. Either way its money down the drain ..

2c

How is it "money down the drain" when a SA book that's signed by Stan Lee commands more money than its counterpart in a blue label slab? You may not like it, but claiming a signature makes the book worth a lot less really has no basis in reality :shrug:

Sorry but the majority of people dont want a SS book..Ill take the raw over the signed any day..Most of us would..

Just like I dont put 10-12 books in a priority envelope :baiting: like some people,

I am entitled to my opinion . RIGHT??

Signature or no signature it just goes to show you how subjective grading is. (shrug)

Exactly.Once that book is de-slabbed then you have to have it graded you have the chance to lose money as it may come back lower..SIG or not..

Signature or no signature it just goes to show you how subjective grading is. (shrug)

signatures make the book less desirable to me and therefore i would pay less then

a copy not signed.

as for grading being subjective, i agree, but cgc's subjective opinion is what fanbois

desire.

I never understood why ANYONE would have a key silver age booked signed ....Unless its beat up and not worth much I dont see the point at all..

Like having a 52 Mantle rookie card with his auto on it..Hate to tell ya but the auto makes it worth much less..

Unless you know for a fact you will never sell the book and you will leave it to your kids (shrug) BUT if you want your kids to have an item worth something DONT destroy its market value by having a signature on it..

An autograph defaces the item and makes it not worth much..Be it by the greatest comic mind ever OR the greatest ball player ever .. Either way its money down the drain ..

2c

How is it "money down the drain" when a SA book that's signed by Stan Lee commands more money than its counterpart in a blue label slab? You may not like it, but claiming a signature makes the book worth a lot less really has no basis in reality :shrug:

Sorry but the majority of people dont want a SS book..Ill take the raw over the signed any day..Most of us would..

Just like I dont put 10-12 books in a priority envelope :baiting: like some people,

I am entitled to my opinion . RIGHT??

Sure - but you're presenting your personal opinion as fact. And the fact is that SS books sell just as easily as their non-signed counterparts AND command a premium over the non-signed books.

Once again - you may not like it, but, hey, them's the breaks :baiting: