• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee's signature drops book's value by $1635

136 posts in this topic

it's a crrappp shoot. instead of experiment, why not go for the archival?

So first you say go archival... and not sharpies because they leave a yellow stain.

I tell you I don't think sharpies leave a yellow stain anymore.

Then you say use an archival sharpie.

AIIGH!! :ohnoez:

yes, sharpies are corrosive, non archival.

yet, they make an elusive archival product, which I previously wrote is tough to locate for the average Joe or Sckao, but one can order directly through sharpie or speciality shops. so when I say to use an archival sharpie( if one must insist getting the cover signed, never can tell when one may desire a roach drawn by Stan Lee ), what part do you not get?

:frustrated::ohnoez::idea:

so, there you go. :luhv::cloud9: <3

RE: Sharpies

Actually, I believe Sharpie has reconstituted their black ink so that it doesn't leave a yellow line when it fades.

Correct. This happened over 10 years ago. Sharpies should no longer generate a yellow halo over time.

Maybe-but doubtful, but they do sell an elite archival sharpie, although unless ordered directly from sharpie, tough to locate. I would assume that would indicate that current sharpies are not archival?

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/002040.html

(I don't know if they know what they are talking about really... I just remember reading it.) (shrug)

That thread is correct and some of these guys really know what they are talking about. I know some of them.

A few answers to this thread that I didn't see posted. The first answer really needs to be posted before someone takes an exacto knife to a Mylar with an Action #1 in it. Why? Because a Stan Lee sig on an Action #1 with a knife wound would look pretty silly, wouldn't it? :whistle:

You cut the Mylar where you want the sig with the book removed from the Mylar. Not with the book in the Mylar.

doh!

You remove the book from the CGC holder, cut a fresh Mylar (or comic bag) where you want the sig and then slip the book carefully into the new Mylar.

The books are easily downgraded from either mishandling (there is visible damage on that JIM #83) or a slight swing in the mood of the graders. It happens and it's a risk you take for every book that you crack out.

To each his own. Collect what you like. I personally think it's a shame to scribble on a high grade copy of an old book. There are 1000's of lower grade copies that are easy to find. Very few high grade copies. I think SS will eventually make high grade copies of tough books continue to climb in price as the pool of books dwindles.

:foryou:

I do love me some anti SS posts though, just classic...

My favorite is the people who own 0 SS books, or have never submitted one, never bought one etc giving top shelf opinions on the matter...

Meanwhile you have someone like mschmidt who has subbed SS books for several years explaining what are facts to people and they continue to not understand or go against what can be proven?

This would be like my 7 year old trying to explain to everyone how to change a transmission compared to my mechanic trying to explain it...

My favorite is the people who own 0 SS books, or have never submitted one, never bought one etc giving top shelf opinions on the matter...

Yeah .......... that's just like someone who has never even played as an NFL quarterback trying to make an argument that Peyton Manning is a better QB than Mark Sanchez

Yeah .......... that's just like someone who has never even played as an NFL quarterback trying to make an argument that Peyton Manning is a better QB than Mark Sanchez

Exactly why I would listen to people who have played in the NFL, played QB or are around it more than I would listen to someone who watches him on commercials or sees him play 3 times a year on TV. Thanks for making my point clearer!

And just to make sure Dekuek, your posts were not the ones I was refering to...

hahaha ZING!

SS don't lower the grade/price....it enchances the book.

A Stan Lee or SS is great. I would take a higher CGC blue universal grade over a lower CGC SS grade.

Unless the signer is now deceased, then would go for the lower CGC SS.

My thoughts.

hahaha ZING!

Let me guess... meh

SS don't lower the grade/price....it enchances the book.

A Stan Lee or SS is great. I would take a higher CGC blue universal grade over a lower CGC SS grade.

Unless the signer is now deceased, then would go for the lower CGC SS.

My thoughts.

An indelicate subject, but Stan is 87... anyone like to speculate on the market value of his SS books once he's gone?

An indelicate subject, but Stan is 87... anyone like to speculate on the market value of his SS books once he's gone?

I think that ugly ASM #129 where he drew a huge spider on the cover will sell for $10,000+ one day.

I'm serious ........ write it down

That book is legendary

I think that ugly ASM #129 where he drew a huge spider on the cover will sell for $10,000+ one day.

I'm serious ........ write it down

That book is legendary

Maybe after you buy it and eBay grade it :)

Stan is quite rough with books. If you get something signed by him you should have it fixed to where he doesn't have to handle it too much. I'm not surprised that they all came down in grade.

I'm not surprised either!

I have seen this first-hand, on many occasions, where Stan has been rough with a key #1 book. (Ex: An ASM #1 my best friend had signed that Stan flip-flopped around on the table several times & leafed through before handing back. My friend will never have Stan sign another big book like that. He loves Stan, but chooses to not have him sign anything of a significant dollar value.)

And yet, I've seen Stan treat other books with kid gloves. (Ex: An Avengers #1 I had signed - Stan was very careful with the handling of the book & the sig placement.)

I would call it luck of the draw.

A few things to consider:

1) These books don't mean the same thing to Stan (or probably most old-school creators) as they do to you, at least from a dollar standpoint.

2) The more popular the creator, the less time they generally have to sign books. Hurrying equals a greater chance for a mis-handle or mistake - even in the hopefully-controlled setting of a CGC signing.

3) If you're going to gamble with a big book signature by Stan, be prepared for the consequences of a lower grade.