• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee's signature drops book's value by $1635

136 posts in this topic

My favorite is the people who own 0 SS books, or have never submitted one, never bought one etc giving top shelf opinions on the matter...

Yeah .......... that's just like someone who has never even played as an NFL quarterback trying to make an argument that Peyton Manning is a better QB than Mark Sanchez

hahaha ZING!

what are you two?

Signature Series is a complete waste. It's painful to see all these books signed in bad cover locations with illegible handwriting, ink that matches the color of the book thus cannot be read, or sigs on otherwise high grade books. Uggh.

I do love me some anti SS posts though, just classic...

My favorite is the people who own 0 SS books, or have never submitted one, never bought one etc giving top shelf opinions on the matter...

Meanwhile you have someone like mschmidt who has subbed SS books for several years explaining what are facts to people and they continue to not understand or go against what can be proven?

This would be like my 7 year old trying to explain to everyone how to change a transmission compared to my mechanic trying to explain it...

I don't think it's a question of people not owning a SS book not knowing their value. It's more likely that they don't own SS books because they don't value them. Of course you have some people who don't buy them, and then you have some who don't want other people buying them, either.

SS don't lower the grade/price....it enchances the book.

A Stan Lee or SS is great. I would take a higher CGC blue universal grade over a lower CGC SS grade.

Unless the signer is now deceased, then would go for the lower CGC SS.

My thoughts.

An indelicate subject, but Stan is 87... anyone like to speculate on the market value of his SS books once he's gone?

Stan has signed a zillion books. I think his death would have negligible effect on the value of his SS books. (It would, however, be a great tragedy to the comics community as a whole.)

Oh please. Stan Lee will sign a cocktail napkin.

Lets get pissy because he is nice enough to spend time giving sigs to fans for free, bringing down the value of our precious slabbed keys :whistle:

$40 a pop. Not free ---(wish it was though) :thumbsup:

An indelicate subject, but Stan is 87... anyone like to speculate on the market value of his SS books once he's gone?

I think that ugly ASM #129 where he drew a huge spider on the cover will sell for $10,000+ one day.

I'm serious ........ write it down

That book is legend...wait for it...ary

/Barney

I'd love to own that book, just because of its infamy. If I ever meet Stan Lee at a signing, I'd ask him to draw a 'spider' over the Punisher's head on my copy of ASM #129, just so there would be a more terrible SS book in the census.

There's a fun idea; ask Stan to draw cockroaches as part of his signings.

"Mr. Lee, I'd really appreciate it if you'd draw a spider over Gambit's face on this X-Men #266."

There was one high grade Stan Lee signature series that might have that cockroach beat.

If I recall.... there was a Captain America #100 high grade Stan Lee SS with a complete, black, fairly large rectangle drawn over one of the entire characters. Stan didn't like the Signature or his marker smudged, and so he filled in a giant black box in marker, then signed it else where.

It might have been posted on the boards a few years ago?

That one was one Stan's post modern period, or his reference to cubism ?

Unlike his post impressionist cockroach.

Still, the "officially torn by Stan Lee" is a tough one to beat!

I saw these pairs on Comiclink also. I know CGC would not downgrade these due to a signature so you cannot conclude that a Stan Lee signature caused the loss in value. More likely, the books got mishandled, or they may have been "marginal" grades to begin with. Grading is not an exact science and is prone to some subjectivity. So, there is no guarantee that the books will come back after a SS with the same grade or, resubmitting the exact same book to CGC a second time.

One of my favorites:

xmen39198wss.jpg

Nice book.Sig in a place that doesnt distract.

WOW! Churchill has a GREAT sig!!!!

Anyone know when he's showing up next? :think:

Nice inking Job.

Signature Series is a complete waste. It's painful to see all these books signed in bad cover locations with illegible handwriting, ink that matches the color of the book thus cannot be read, or sigs on otherwise high grade books. Uggh.

I've learned two things from reading this thread;

1. That for whatever reason Stan Lee is a serial 'signer' and will probably come back as a tube train tagger in his next incarnation.

2. That everything Stan Lee touches does'nt automatically turn to gold these days.