• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli

13 posts in this topic

One of the best graphic novels I read last year, a book which stands up to repeated readings. Very different to his 80s work such as Daredevil: Born Again, very much an indie-style comic book, which definitely proves the incredible range he has as a cartoonist.

It's one of the best graphic novels I've ever read. If you like Daniel Clowes, Chris Ware, or even Mazzucchelli's "Rubber Blanket" series from the early 90s., I think you'll enjoy this book. This isn't a book to be quickly digested and tossed aside like standard pajama and cape comics.

I can't believe that I'm the first person to post about this graphic novel by one of the best storytellers in comics. Anyone else read it?

Nice to see you post about this book, Paul. (thumbs u

I love Mazzuchelli's work. I have this book, though (I have to admit) read about 3/4ths of it and just got distracted and set it aside.

There are parts of it I loved, and parts I found kind of dull. The visual storytelling is dazzling, in a Will-Eisner-ish way, and it's a worthy read... but overall, the story didn't entirely grab me by the throat.

I'll definitely get back to it, hopefully with more focus.

I didn't care for it.

I don't like pretentious stroytelling. Can't stand Clowes, Ware, etc. And in a literary vein, didn't care for Fitzgerald, Capote and their ilk either.

Actually, one of my biggest irks with Dave Sim is his whimpering hero worship of these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

But I'm glad to see it get noticed here on the boards.