• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on packaging 42lbs of comics for shipping.

48 posts in this topic

I've had good luck with long boxes shipped to me. The best advice I saw was the person who suggested taking an extra long box top and putting it on the bottom, which really protects the bottom corners.

Most bulk comic sellers end up with extra long boxes they might be willing to give away.

I have used the extra lid taped securely to the bottom of the box. Make sure to leave the handle holes open so the clerks can pick up the box. I would email the buyer and inform him of your packaging techinques before shipping the order. If he says sounds good, than away goes the birdie. :wishluck:

You need to ditch all the backing boards, to reduce both weight and volume. The extra backing board weight is more likely to damage the books than prevent damage.

Agreed. Best bet is to eliminate backing boards and individual bags and put 15 or so comics per large plastic bag and ship in a short box with bubble wrap. Check UPS as I got 3 long boxes shipped to me and they were cheapest.

This stuff should fit in one long box with room to spare. I am already selling this stuff at cost though and was hoping not to lose one of my longboxes since I either have to pay crazy shipping to get them or drive 75 miles to the nearest LCS. If it is the best option I'll just add 4 bucks or so to his quote.

I believe the cheapest you can ship a longbox is about $60. That is why I suggested a shortbox. Wrapping each bundle of comics in bubble wrap will take up too much room. Better to cushion each end and side of the box with bubble wrap.

I'm entering the weight and dimensions into the USPS shipping calculator and it says $19.15 for media mail from Ca. to Tn. I entered it at 44lbs and the exact dimensions of a longbox.

My mistake. :sorry: US to Canada is $60 :cry:

Great advice guys. I think I will do the longbox with two tops and the holes open, with "this side up" clearly displayed. I think I'll add a piece of cardboard to each end of the stacks inside so no comics are exposed through the open handles :)

Thanks for the ideas.

Oh, and I am in communication with the buyer letting him know my thoughts on shipping and he'll know what I decide. Honestly I doubt he knows what a longbox is. He seems like a newbie, but I will make sure his package gets to him safe!

I just hope your PO lets you send that media.
Why wouldn't they? It seems to fit the criteria according to the website. My post office lady is a jerk though. Maybe I'll drive a few towns over by my old work. Those guys are cool.

Why wouldn't they? It seems to fit the criteria according to the website. My post office lady is a jerk though. Maybe I'll drive a few towns over by my old work. Those guys are cool.

Print out a single page of sheet music & put it in the box - that's enough to make any other sort of printed matter sent with it qualify for the media mail rate (thumbs u

Print out a single page of sheet music & put it in the box - that's enough to make any other sort of printed matter sent with it qualify for the media mail rate (thumbs u

Okay. Why don't comics qualify by themselves though? Do I have to lie and say it's a box of sheet music?

Okay. Why don't comics qualify by themselves though? Do I have to lie and say it's a box of sheet music?

The thing about media mail is that you're not allowed to use it to mail printed matter that contain ads - which comic books do. Some people argue that older comic books should be ok (as the ads are no longer applicable), but it's one of those things where different post offices give you different answers, and there's no definite yes or no.

However, there's a loophole in the media mail rules which says that if you include one item that does qualify for media mail (which in this case would be a single piece of sheet music), all other printed matter items in the same package qualify for media mail as well - no matter what they are.

Well, I'm shipping high grade unread . I would like them to arrive as shipped not only because it's what he bought but because I have limited selling experience and want to do things right. If it matters, this guy had not seen scans, I made no promises of grade, and he isn't going to be slabbing them. I guess you could ask bronzilla if he would ever buy from me again but he went out of his way to say the package was shipped right, so I assume nothing was damaged during shipping.

Everyone else gave you great advice on how to ship. Here's mine, yes you should do everything to make the buyer happy but there does come a point where that is impossible. You should only continue with this deal if YOU are comfortable with it, ie the payment and shipping method. That is a lot of books to ship and the buyer should want to pay the cost of have the shipped correctly. Once you become unsure if they are going to arrive safely or the buyer starts deciding on the shipping cost that makes the package less secure you are better off seeking another buyer(s). Just my 2¢

The thing about media mail is that you're not allowed to use it to mail printed matter that contain ads - which comic books do. Some people argue that older comic books should be ok (as the ads are no longer applicable), but it's one of those things where different post offices give you different answers, and there's no definite yes or no.

However, there's a loophole in the media mail rules which says that if you include one item that does qualify for media mail (which in this case would be a single piece of sheet music), all other printed matter items in the same package qualify for media mail as well - no matter what they are.

Gifflefunk did all kinds of research on that a few years ago, he mentioned the sheet music or the book. I think however, if you read the website, they took that out last year and specifically said you could NOT just add one thing. Not sure about the recent changes.

I'm lucky, my post office thinks old comics are books, and that the advertising is not current.

I used to get long boxes shipped from California to Oklahoma all the time via FedEX Ground and they always got to me in excellent condition. Lids were usually taped very securely to the boxes with a label dead center of the lid. Of course they were also insured which seems to be the key to getting any package through any carrier unscathed.

Gifflefunk did all kinds of research on that a few years ago, he mentioned the sheet music or the book. I think however, if you read the website, they took that out last year and specifically said you could NOT just add one thing. Not sure about the recent changes.

I'm lucky, my post office thinks old comics are books, and that the advertising is not current.

No, they haven't changed this:

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/373.htm#wp1015205

2.4.3 Loose Enclosures

In addition to the enclosures and additions listed in 343.2.5, Attachments and Enclosures, any printed matter that is mailable as Standard Mail may be included loose with any qualifying material mailed at the Media Mail prices.

No, they haven't changed this:

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/373.htm#wp1015205

2.4.3 Loose Enclosures

In addition to the enclosures and additions listed in 343.2.5, Attachments and Enclosures, any printed matter that is mailable as Standard Mail may be included loose with any qualifying material mailed at the Media Mail prices.

I'm printing that out and bringing it with me to the post office just in case the lady gives me a hassle :)