• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,536 posts in this topic

On 12/23/2021 at 1:59 PM, Pantodude said:

I wonder what the relative share of sales of big keys is for private vs what we learn from GPA/GoCollect.  I wish we could learn private sales data more often, especially for books with relatively few data points, like IH#1, Showcase #4, etc, or even just when it disagrees with contemporaneous auction house/eBay results.  

No one will know. (Like the meme).  Most listings on these here boards tend to be below GPA prices.  And half the time they get an even lower price thru PM.  Only the man upstairs knows what price was paid.  

On 12/23/2021 at 11:03 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

It was in line with prices.  This sold on Heritage around that time.  

3D0580B9-504C-41A0-8DA1-243BF6199C13.png

To be clear, I wasn't trying to contradict you or anything like that ... I just know that the book was in the high $30K range in 2017 -- I bought my WP copy for $39,000 that year.  If there was some kind of dip in 2018, I didn't notice but given what I paid, I would have considered anything below $30K a steal. 

On 12/23/2021 at 2:59 PM, Pantodude said:

I wonder what the relative share of sales of big keys is for private vs what we learn from GPA/GoCollect.  I wish we could learn private sales data more often, especially for books with relatively few data points, like IH#1, Showcase #4, etc, or even just when it disagrees with contemporaneous auction house/eBay results.  

I've bought exactly 1 book from CC/CL/Heritage. Maybe 2, 3 max on eBay.

Others have come from here, IG/FB, or walking into my shop.

Edited by Hulksdaddy1

On 12/23/2021 at 9:30 PM, speedcake said:

Can we report a private sale to gpa? If it was our own purchase or sale? 

I have offered to do so in the past and was met with silence...

Understandable though, as they would get all kind of jacked up sales by those looking to sell in the future.

Edited by Omaha-CGC-Comics

On 12/24/2021 at 3:20 PM, Omaha-CGC-Comics said:

Understandable though, as they would get all kind of jacked up sales by those looking to sell in the future.

That makes sense.  Like another way of shill bidding would be sham sales.  

On 12/24/2021 at 4:20 PM, Omaha-CGC-Comics said:

Ya, clearly it’d be a challenge to avoid sales data being corrupted.

and yet there are many private transactions between honest people that would be very nice to have the data on. /shrug  

On 12/28/2021 at 4:44 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Here is a X-Men 1 CGC 9.2 for sale on CC.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/937427

It’s already got an offer for $260k.

Not sure the correct word for the terminology, but that’s a pretty dingy looking cover.  The white isn’t bright at all, looks tan. 

On 12/28/2021 at 11:10 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

People now only see the cover and back the overall book is a 9.2 and like every grade point there are better looking books and not as nice looking books for the grade.

Yeah it’s a thin cover for sure, you can see through it easily. Never a fan of those plus the writing on it bugs me. That said, it’s still a 9.2 and nice. :)

On 12/28/2021 at 10:46 PM, ft88 said:

Like the Green in the upper box, the fade to darker purple in the bottom right seems weird to me. Is it that this is a key issue, but other books don’t seem to do this. 

not sure if you are referencing the 9.2 copy that is on CC, that's being discussed here, but that scan is badly oversaturated. those are not the real colors of the book, someone does not know how to work a scanner or photoshop. here's that scan adjusted so that it looks more realistic. one can see what appears to be some staining on the white of the cover once the saturation is taken down a bit. though actually i think that is just the bleedthrough from the inside cover, as mentioned. 

as for the green, it looks like a deep green. as most folks know, this book was printed with a lighter green as well. when you see a copy with the light green, which i happen to like, it's not fading. it's how it was printed. it's reds that tend to fade first on comics and other things from UV exposure. 

x-m1.22660_1.jpg

Edited by alexgross.com

I was just looking at the GPA and noticed that there have been sales at most of the mid/high grades in the last few months. It seems like the prices have recovered in the mid-grades. Personally, I think that prices for grades 5.5 to 7.5 have a good potential to rise. 

image.thumb.png.7efc3cf1b3fb7f3d580f0487bf94466a.png

The last 7.0 was this Ebay auction. https://www.ebay.com/itm/304322435047 . The book was graded 12/2021, but the seller reports scratches and smudges on the inside of the CGC case. Then the book was relisted due to a non-paying bidder. I suppose that someone got a pretty good deal on this one in spite of some minor issues. 

Edited by CycleGirl

At this point in comic collecting history, have people not realized how the game is played? Who is actually waiting for a movie to buy this book at inflated hype prices?... Why would a movie (of which there have been many already) make any difference in how this particular book performs in the future?... (shrug)

On 1/28/2022 at 4:07 PM, dikran1 said:

At this point in comic collecting history, have people not realized how the game is played? Who is actually waiting for a movie to buy this book at inflated hype prices?... Why would a movie (of which there have been many already) make any difference in how this particular book performs in the future?... (shrug)

Well, IMHO, the three FF movies (not counting the Corman movie) probably depressed FF prices for a while.