• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

On 4/28/2022 at 10:01 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Kinda surprised with the stain got a 9.2

5392BBD5-BCC1-43F8-83D7-5FEB838A073F.png

here's a great example of why GPA does not tell the whole story on a book. this 7.0WP copy is coming up for auction in heritage's june signature auction. the badly yellowed look of the overall cover is a sad example of a white page copy. i've seen cream copies that look infinitely better than this one. apologies if you are the consignor, but considering that they have about 6 other copies in this auction, all of which look nicer than this one, i expect this book to fail to impress on the final hammer price. 

xmen1.jpg

On 5/14/2022 at 11:08 AM, alexgross.com said:

here's a great example of why GPA does not tell the whole story on a book. this 7.0WP copy is coming up for auction in heritage's june signature auction. the badly yellowed look of the overall cover is a sad example of a white page copy. i've seen cream copies that look infinitely better than this one. apologies if you are the consignor, but considering that they have about 6 other copies in this auction, all of which look nicer than this one, i expect this book to fail to impress on the final hammer price. 

xmen1.jpg

Agreed!  That's the first thing I look at when buying a copy.  Are the covers yellowed/tanned?  Compare that copy to my personal 6.0 copy.  No comparison whatsoever. I think the labels should be switched lol

X-Men #1 CGC 6.0.jpg

Edited by Dark Knight

Nice 6.0 there!  The "White" page quality designation on the CGC label refers to the interior of the book, not the cover?  A C/OW could have a brighter cover than a W book (due to exposure to light, soiling, foxing, etc).  So the interior pages of the 7.0 above could be as "white" as any other white pager out there.   hm   In other words, if W pages is what you want, there is no reason to doubt that this 7.0 will give you that.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 5/14/2022 at 12:30 PM, Pantodude said:

Nice 6.0 there!  The "White" page quality designation on the CGC label refers to the interior of the book, not the cover?  A C/OW could have a brighter cover than a W book (due to exposure to light, soiling, foxing, etc).  So the interior pages of the 7.0 above could be as "white" as any other white pager out there.   hm   In other words, if W pages is what you want, there is no reason to doubt that this 7.0 will give you that.  

Thanks! Yeah the "White" page designation corresponds to the interior pages of the book and not the cover(s).  If I were to buy a white paged book, everything should be as close to white as possible including the covers.  That means no yellowing or tanning whatsoever.

On 5/14/2022 at 1:01 PM, Dark Knight said:

Thanks! Yeah the "White" page designation corresponds to the interior pages of the book and not the cover(s).  If I were to buy a white paged book, everything should be as close to white as possible including the covers.  That means no yellowing or tanning whatsoever.

pretty often, white page copies of white cover books have bright covers, in my experience, though clearly not always.

i can't speak for other white page collectors, but for me the idea of a white page book is that it looks as clean and bright as the day it was first on the stands, inside and out. a badly yellowed cover obviously doesn't fit that criterion. i suspect many other WP lovers feel the same way. 

I have seen 3.0 X-MEN 1s that look much nicer just based on FC eye appeal than some 5.0s :shiftyeyes:.  Thus you buy the book not the grade more often than not.  This also explains the odd price compression you find on GPA (below 5.0) with these fairly-common and accessible highly desirable keys, which have covers that can fade.  You have to know what you like-covet <3 and what your budget calls for and if it is a display book in your PC - might as well go for the sexier looking copy. :womanhero:

Edited by Roger66

On 6/13/2022 at 8:08 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Will see soon enough if it comes close or breaks the last record for a 9.2 that sold not that long ago for 276k. So far it is at 180k.

After the price drop for the 8.0 on comiclink I would expect a significant drop. 

On 6/14/2022 at 11:07 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

Compared to say AF15, Hulk 1 and FF1 in 9.2 X-Men 1 is cheap at 250k to 300k. Yes I know it went up a lot in the last 1-2 years and now it is a bit slower in lower grades it is always the same cycle. I don't see the price staying at that level for long in 9.2 and higher I would even add in 9.0. In a few years time my guess is that it will be valued at much more than that. By the way I only own a CGC 6.0.

I think in 2-3 years all of these books will be selling lower, and if anyone has any big books that they do not plan to hold as a part of their PC they should be selling them now (ideally a few months ago).....the sharp interest rate increases have really hurt a lot people, and the true affects won't be seen for several months to a few years. 

On 6/14/2022 at 11:35 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

It always finds a way to get back to ''normal'' and if it does not that simply means the end of civilization and by that point we will be worried about much more basic needs. I doubt we will land there with all the smart people we have now that can find solutions. Will there be some harder times ahead sure that is a given just get ready for the bumps and eventually it will pass just like the 1929 depression that also ended at some point. We will have a recession that is almost a given and as far as a depression I don't know will have to wait and see.

But interest rates have never risen this quickly, at such an accelerated rate...really ever.  I work in Real Estate and a lot of my clients have been greatly impacted, and this is just the beginning.  I would be absolutely stunned if your prediction of the 9.2 being worth more than it is right now in 2-3 years given how all the major asset classes: equities, bonds, real estate, etc. are all inversely correlated to interest rates.