• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Appreciate the great conversation. But just for clarification, I never said that GA was irrelevant.  I said it’s less relevant.  I mean I’ve got a few GA issues myself, but it just seems most of the action is at silver age.  

Like when I go to a card show, Michael Jordan rookie cards are hotter than fire.  Rarely do I see people talking about Wilt Chamberlin or Karen Abdul Jabbar.  But I’m sure no one would object to finding a great deal on one of their rookie cards.  

I think it's all relative. 

SA comics are more accessible. Most collectors have been priced out of GA keys, but SA are more adundant and affordable. 

If you've been collecting for a long time, I think you are the GA market as more vibrant and relevant than ever. Big $$ is being spent and there is ton of interest relatively speaking.  That's because the GA market has behaved more traditionally.

The SA market has always had mass appeal and MCU has dropped lighter fluid on it over the last 15 years.  So the key books are exploding. 

4 hours ago, thedude said:

In regards to supply of X-Men #1. Once you remove copies with Marvel chipping, yellowing covers, stains, etc. You've cut the number of more desirable eye appeal books down by half, just like with AF15. I feel that all grades will eventually rise, but the better eye appeal books are the copies getting the heat right now.

Spoken like a scholar. Applies to all books really, Xmen gets super hot, newish collectors chase the book or the number in the top left portion of the slab. Guy lists a 2.0 as GPA plus due to a white nice right edge 2.0 sold for 6700. His quarter of the front cover missing 2.0 is now equivalent and has the insert ad  "Hottest book in the market last 2.0 sold for 6700 mine is 7K" Newish or collector who hasn't seen any supply buys it, Pavlov theory in play and now 7K is the bell we hear.  In everything I collect, I always go for appeal, I just shipped a 53 Mantle to the west coast that looks better than cards twice the price. Sometimes due to budget set or just flat out being happy with a good looking one I buy what looks good. Most people would pass by a couple of my bigger keys due to the number in the top left of the slab, and when I see one 2 grades higher, I still like mine. Iron Man 55 is one of the best ever examples of a book that has a terrible wrap but a 9.2, Sells for a centered 9.2.  There have been several below GPA X-Men 1's since November, some were just great deals others had chipping or poor color strike. 

Edited by PKJ

On 1/29/2021 at 3:05 PM, PKJ said:

I fully understand how it works, was just pointing out the cash outlay is even higher. 

There are still many states that eBay is not collecting sales tax from or it could’ve been purchased by someone with a resale CERT that doesn’t pay tax 

so we can’t assume that it’s more than the ending price 

6 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I believe eBay collects tax for 36 of the 50 states. 

Sorry for breaching the topic, I thought it was down to a handful of states like 7-8 only because I remember seeing a small group of states listed by a Ferrari dealer that had it in his description when I was buying luggage this month. Did not intend to mis inform.

Hello all!

This is probably my first post on this board.  I own(ed) a copy of X-Men 1 that I bought back in 1990 from a store in Detroit.  It was a lower grade copy, probably a 2.0 or 3.0, but it was mine.  At the time I was a lowly college student.  The book was absolutely the pride of my collection.  It, and a LOT of other keys, were stolen from me a few years ago.  All the books absolutely disappeared.  No trace of them anywhere.  This included 2 copies of Hulk 181, early Avengers, Xmen 2 & 4, almost all of the 1968 Marvels, lots of golden age ( Superman 20, Marvel Mystery 11).  All told probably $250-300,000 in books I had collected over a lot of years.

None of the books were graded, so no real way to track them down.  They had been in a storage facility for a long time as my dad and brother had put them there while I went to the Army.  The unit was broken into and they managed to take a few specific boxes (which I find curious).  It was either an absolute stroke of luck, or someone knew what they were doing.

Anyway, I have to admit I am a bit jealous seeing all of these X-Men 1's.  Well done to all of you!!

PDG

22 hours ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Well I hope I don't spoil it now with my entry to the Club...

image.png.070e9dc74040bbd6b0465dd6cc076e3d.png

It looks pretty shabby. I bought it from a dodgy dealer in the '70s who probably thought he was safe in offloading it on an international customer.

Awesome copy! Honestly, there is someone to be said for a book you've hung on to for so long. What's funny is, back then I'm sure the seller thought he was getting over on you. 

Edited by KCOComics

2 hours ago, PDGray said:

Hello all!

This is probably my first post on this board.  I own(ed) a copy of X-Men 1 that I bought back in 1990 from a store in Detroit.  It was a lower grade copy, probably a 2.0 or 3.0, but it was mine.  At the time I was a lowly college student.  The book was absolutely the pride of my collection.  It, and a LOT of other keys, were stolen from me a few years ago.  All the books absolutely disappeared.  No trace of them anywhere.  This included 2 copies of Hulk 181, early Avengers, Xmen 2 & 4, almost all of the 1968 Marvels, lots of golden age ( Superman 20, Marvel Mystery 11).  All told probably $250-300,000 in books I had collected over a lot of years.

None of the books were graded, so no real way to track them down.  They had been in a storage facility for a long time as my dad and brother had put them there while I went to the Army.  The unit was broken into and they managed to take a few specific boxes (which I find curious).  It was either an absolute stroke of luck, or someone knew what they were doing.

Anyway, I have to admit I am a bit jealous seeing all of these X-Men 1's.  Well done to all of you!!

PDG

Truly sorry to hear about this. 

The only hope I would think is with some of the rare books. Marvel Mystery 11 for example. If you have photos or scans and the book had distinct features, like pieces missing or writing on it then maybe you could track down if it got sold on a public website (eBay). 

The SA books are likely to common. 

Probably a long shot 

3 hours ago, PDGray said:

Hello all!

PDG

Very sorry to hear that. Such terrible thing to happen to you. I "liked" your post but not the news...

Thank you both.

I know the books are long gone by now.  I never took photos or scanned any of them.  I never had any reason to do that.  When I was in college all those years ago I used my key issues (Including the XMen 1) as a border around the top of the walls of my rooms.  I thought it was kind of cool, but nobody else got it or understood it.  Keep in mind this was the late 80s and early 90s. 

Yeah, I know the GA books might be trackable due to their rarity, but thats just how it goes I suppose.  Maybe one day I can find another copy, but it's highly unlikely.

PDG

On 2/2/2021 at 10:19 AM, PDGray said:

Thank you both.

I know the books are long gone by now.  I never took photos or scanned any of them.  I never had any reason to do that.  When I was in college all those years ago I used my key issues (Including the XMen 1) as a border around the top of the walls of my rooms.  I thought it was kind of cool, but nobody else got it or understood it.  Keep in mind this was the late 80s and early 90s. 

Yeah, I know the GA books might be trackable due to their rarity, but thats just how it goes I suppose.  Maybe one day I can find another copy, but it's highly unlikely.

PDG

You can always start over... Time payments are a beautiful thing!

On 2/1/2021 at 4:22 PM, PDGray said:

Hello all!

PDG

That just plain sucks man .....  sorry to hear this.  But welcome to the Boards, the fact that you are even here means you still have that BUG, so hopefully you can get back into it slowly slowly ...

Edited by fishbone

Again, thank you for the welcome.

I owned that particular copy for a long time.  The thieves managed to leave most of my books.  They did get my key issues box along with about 2,000 other books by my guess.  I still have probably 8-9,000 books now and have slowly built back some of what I had.  Most of what I can afford to get now are lower to mid-grade books for the most part.  I like having my display set up.  I posted it in another forum somewhere, but this is a (mostly) Marvel display I have up currently in the attached photo.

I still have my X-Men run from #3-35.  I had two copies of 4 - thieves got one of them along with my GSX1 and 94.  I got another copy of 94 a few years ago, so its not as bad.  The second row from the top, with the X-Men are all signed by Chris Claremont.  I was fortunate enough to meet him in Kansas City almost two years ago.  Anyway, here is what I have in the display currently.  I could probably do this 2-3 times with Marvels and not duplicate anything.  I could do the same with my DC books. 

PDG

20210202_112450.jpg

Edited by PDGray

1 minute ago, piper said:

I finally took the plunge and picked up this nice presenting all be it low grade copy. Hopefully, I didn’t buy it at the peak of this crazy run up!

3EF1074B-EE06-442B-BE00-28F625DEF31A.jpeg

Great book, I doubt seriously you have bought at the top. I myself am looking for that exact grade and realize in a month my offer to buy amounts are already outdated.