• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, GAMBIT said:

I kind of agree.. its definitely more than just investment value that are  driving the prices up this much... But those that are holding out expecting a "bubble to burst" before acquiring . Not only have been saying that for 15/20 years, but will never be able to get this book (in particular) , as it'll NEVER go back to the prices it once was, yet "burst" ... just my 2c 

I agree I can’t see someone spending 20K on a a comic and then selling it on after for 15K because the market goes into reverse which I can’t see happening. If this is a bubble it’s a pretty big one as it includes Action Figures, Comics, Pokemon, Sports Cards, Watches, houses and vast array of other things which means a lot of people would have to stop spending for the bubble to pop. If the Pandemic ends then people’s spending may change as they will start spending more on travel and hospitality so I would expect growth to slow but I would be suprised if it stopped dead or went into reverse. Weather people like it or not we are in a Bull Market at the moment and there isn’t a Bear in site.  

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Oh yeah definitely a wicked cover, but AF 15 is sweet too, and X-Men fighting Magneto on X-Men 1, I'd say the worst grail/key cover is TOS 39

LOL, I personally like the cover of TOS 39 better than X-Men 1.  I guess that's why they make clothes in all kind of designs.  Another man's trash is another man's treasure. 

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Oh yeah definitely a wicked cover, but AF 15 is sweet too, and X-Men fighting Magneto on X-Men 1, I'd say the worst grail/key cover is TOS 39

Personal preference maybe, but I was never crazy about the X1 cover.  Iceman looks like he's throwing snow balls at magneto....

Hulk 1, FF1 and JIM83 are the best SA grail covers in my opinion. FF1 seems to get lost in the fold, but I love that cover. Marvel was taking it's first steps towards transitioning from the monster / horror and science fiction stuff that dominated Atlas. 

I love the monster and love that the FF don't have uniforms yet.  Classic Kirby in every way. 

Hulk 1 is my favorite cover though for SA marvel. There are so many great ones, but Hulk stands out to me. Always has. As a newer collector I can remember the first time I saw it and thinking it was a masterpiece I would never be able to own.  FF49 is right there with it. All kirby's for what it's worth. 

Edited by KCOComics

And wow, there was insanity on the Sunday night Heritage X-Men lots last night. At what point do you ask yourself as a bidder, is the juice worth the squeeze?

X-Men Group of 13 (Marvel, 1968-69) Condition: Average VF  - $4,320 with BP ($332 per book)

X-Men Group of 23 (Marvel, 1977-90) Condition: Average NM-   - $4,080 with BP ($177 per book)

X-Men Group of 24 (Marvel, 1977-91) Condition: Average VF/NM  - $3,120 with BP ($130 per book)

X-Men Group of 25 (Marvel, 1980-87) Condition: Average NM  - $1,440 with BP (a relatively tame $57 per book, but still high for mostly #180-200)

2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

you're insane... I absolulety LOVE TOS39 cover.   the worst??!?!?.. come on!. :boo:

ST110 is horrendous 

2 hours ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

I agree I can’t see someone spending 20K on a a comic and then selling it on after for 15K because the market goes into reverse which I can’t see happening. If this is a bubble it’s a pretty big one as it includes Action Figures, Comics, Pokemon, Sports Cards, Watches, houses and vast array of other things which means a lot of people would have to stop spending for the bubble to pop. If the Pandemic ends then people’s spending may change as they will start spending more on travel and hospitality so I would expect growth to slow but I would be suprised if it stopped dead or went into reverse. Weather people like it or not we are in a Bull Market at the moment and there isn’t a Bear in site.  

^^

24 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

Personal preference maybe, but I was never crazy about the X1 cover.  Iceman looks like he's throwing snow balls at magneto....

Hulk 1, FF1 and JIM83 are the best SA grail covers in my opinion. FF1 seems to get lost in the fold, but I love that cover. Marvel was taking it's first steps towards transitioning from the monster / horror and science fiction stuff that dominated Atlas. 

I love the monster and love that the FF don't have uniforms yet.  Classic Kirby in every way. 

Hulk 1 is my favorite cover though for SA marvel. There are so many great ones, but Hulk stands out to me. Always has. As a newer collector I can remember the first time I saw it and thinking it was a masterpiece I would never be able to own.  FF49 is right there with it. All kirby's for what it's worth. 

wow, could not disagree with you more. x-men 1 is right up there with af15, ff1, hulk1 and jim83 as one of the great first issue covers. so powerful, dynamic and iconic. the mystery of not seeing magnetos face- compare it to avengers1 where everyone stands around doing nothing. the white background works wonders too for the outlines of each character. to each his own i guess...

and i agree with @kimik to the extent that ST110 barely even registers with me as a key due to the character not appearing on the cover. and i think it's valuation/ desirability has suffered over the years because of it.

what brought you into this market now? did you crush it in crypto? just curious. alot of new money entering the hobby this month, and alot of new members here, which is great, spelling aside. but many of us are curious why so many prices are doubling, tripling and quadrupling in the last month. this has NEVER happened before across the board, in this hobby, and it can be destaibilizing for many longtime collectors. hope you will be able to share some of your story. 

1 minute ago, www.alexgross.com said:

what brought you into this market now? did you crush it in crypto? just curious. alot of new money entering the hobby this month, and alot of new members here, which is great, spelling aside. but many of us are curious why so many prices are doubling, tripling and quadrupling in the last month. this has NEVER happened before across the board, in this hobby, and it can be destaibilizing for many longtime collectors. hope you will be able to share some of your story. 

The only comparable period I can remember is the 1989-1993 period when collectibles across the board were spiking as there was a ton of new speculators/investors entering the markets. I was just a teenager starting out collecting at the time, but even then I was reselling things I had bought a couple of years earlier to buy more. If we experience a similar post-bubble plateau/correction, then my advice based on that experience is to load up on keys while the market is down.

When books hit 20k the chances of it dropping 5k is slim. I mean as ASM 50 sold at heritage last year for 56k and fmv now is 90k

This is xmen 1 in 5.5 over 20 years

Screenshot_20210219-112248_Chrome.jpg

55 minutes ago, GAMBIT said:

you're insane... I absolulety LOVE TOS39 cover.   the worst??!?!?.. come on!. :boo:

ST110 is horrendous 

Definitely Strange first appearance is absolutely strange 

Tbh if we were tier classing grails on a scale of abcdef it would definitely be a C class whereas X-Men is an A class grail along with hulk 1 CA 1 AF 15 JIM 83 TOS 39, FF1  I agree about the snowballs Iceman is throwing lol it is pretty ridiculous 

Avengers (despite the super team) is a b class because most of those appearances are not first appearances 

Edited by Hollywood1892

19 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

I got into comics as I bought a X Men 1 back in 2015 as I loved the film X Men First Class, I also unsuccessfully tried to buy TOS39 at the time in an 8.0 as I also love the Ironman film and the not buying of that book has been a thorn in my side since. I saw both books increase in price and became more interested in comics and started buying a few, 40 or so, some valuable some not, a couple of years ago. I got back into it recently after someone mentioned on Facebook or a Star Wars forum how buoyant the Comic book market was. 

I have a display hallway in my house that leads to my Games Room on the left and Cinema on the right in the hallway I have four wall vaults the two on the right contain Palitoy 12,20 & 30 Back MOC’s my primary focus and the two on the left contain comics so I am looking to buy some more keys for my display which I should have done before but I had an expensive year last year with MOC’s so that kept me occupied.

if you are looking for a reason why prices are going up then I would look at the Pandemic, Interest rates are at the lowest point in history with the possibility in going negative and the Travel and Hospitality industry in many countries are in a temporary hibernation that equals millions of people with more disposable income amounting to billions and fortunately or unfortunately some of it has trickled into comics. Ask yourself what percentage of your income was spent on Travel and Hospitality, 20-30% maybe, multiply that by hundreds of millions or possibly even billions of people, there is a tsunami of disposable income in the marketplace with bank interest at its lowest point ever, it’s a Perfect Storm and there is no escaping it!

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

When books hit 20k the chances of it dropping 5k is slim. I mean as ASM 50 sold at heritage last year for 56k and fmv now is 90k

Wow. If anyone has a 5.5 available, PM me as I will pay the current GPA price listed above. 

16 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I just went on EBay and there is a Pokemon card for 365,000 now that’s crazy not an X Men selling for 20K!

4 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I was thinking more along the lines of the origin/story depicted on the cover (e.g. the iconic panel where Peter is bit or where the cosmic rays permeate the spacecraft). I believe Hulk 1 is the only major key like this?

2 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

wow, could not disagree with you more. x-men 1 is right up there with af15, ff1, hulk1 and jim83 as one of the great first issue covers. so powerful, dynamic and iconic. the mystery of not seeing magnetos face- compare it to avengers1 where everyone stands around doing nothing. the white background works wonders too for the outlines of each character. to each his own i guess...

and i agree with @kimik to the extent that ST110 barely even registers with me as a key due to the character not appearing on the cover. and i think it's valuation/ desirability has suffered over the years because of it.

See, I love the Avengers cover! 

I prefer A1 over X1 strictly from a cover perspectives.  X1 is far and away the bigger key, I just never was blown away be the cover art. 

ST110 is not a book I ever felt a need to own.  

TTA27 has an awesome cover! That's one I've never owned, but would like to some day.