• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Try a want to buy here,you never know.Some big eyes scan those posts-you wont get a steal but you'll likely get bites.

I have tried Instagram as well now but could not find anything on there. I will try a WTB if you think it is worth it.

2 hours ago, nmtg9 said:

Prices cannot continue at this rate. 

Investors will get bored and look elsewhere, maybe go back to traditional investments once we return to some kind of normality. 

Right now it feels like tulip mania. 

This is a real possibility as if you are a pure investor and don’t care what you buy: Comics, Sports Cards, Pokemon Cards as you are just looking for capital appreciation then you will disengage from comics if there are none available to buy.

3 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Also, keep in mind people my age (40, good lord wasnt I just 26 uhhhh) that grew up with these copper age & early modern keys and are making better income now.  Just like people older than me think NM 98 and ASM 300 are common, so did the previous generation with GSX 1, Hulk 181, and DD 1.  Many view those books are way overpriced even before covid.  For me I consider Ultimate Fallout 4 to be same, however these younger collectors love that book, hence the cycle continues.....

I have a very similar perspective, though I'm much much younger than 40.  I'm 38. 

I said this in another thread, but when I started collecting as a teenager, the rule of thumb was "silver is fun, but it will never reach GA prices because there are just so many of them." And bronze age?? Forget about it! 

I do think prices will level off.  Some books will dip while others may stragnat, but I don't think we go into a full on correction where we start seeing 2018 and 2019 prices. But you are right, it is a cycle. 

3 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Try a want to buy here,you never know.Some big eyes scan those posts-you wont get a steal but you'll likely get bites.

I put my WTB post up and put a wants list with some of the recommended dealers, I checked out Instagram and Facebook and could not find anything so will have to see what happens but my gut feeling is I will end up buying through an auction as that is the only place with physical stock.

12 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

So this is on Clink right now

Those are 2 different grades but the 2.5 with white pages is higher bid because of the white pages 

Screenshot_20210323-011055_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210323-011114_Chrome~2.jpg

Screenshot_20210323-011055_Chrome~2.jpg

Screenshot_20210323-011114_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210323-011055_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210323-010912_Chrome~2.jpg

Screenshot_20210323-010912_Chrome.jpg

I always thought the grade would trump the page colour, is it normal for page colour to be deemed more important than grade?

I generally go for OW or better does C/OW make much difference to the price?

2 hours ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

I always thought the grade would trump the page colour, is it normal for page colour to be deemed more important than grade?

I generally go for OW or better does C/OW make much difference to the price?

The B word is what you want to avoid. (Brittle pages).  It will effect value and your resale market.  Some feel cream is to close to brittle and will steer clear. 

I put less weight in PQ personally. I only buy brittle on rare GA books you might not get a second chance on.  

For big SA books PQ will have an impact on price, but the grade will be the bigger factor. If two books are the same grade, a white page copy will command a premium. 

If you do resell the book you'll have a wider audience with better page quality. 

Now, the current X1 demand is big enough to support any and all books and command a premium. But things can change and white pages offers greater desirability. 

3 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

The B word is what you want to avoid. (Brittle pages).  It will effect value and your resale market.  Some feel cream is to close to brittle and will steer clear. 

I put less weight in PQ personally. I only buy brittle on rare GA books you might not get a second chance on.  

For big SA books PQ will have an impact on price, but the grade will be the bigger factor. If two books are the same grade, a white page copy will command a premium. 

If you do resell the book you'll have a wider audience with better page quality. 

Now, the current X1 demand is big enough to support any and all books and command a premium. But things can change and white pages offers greater desirability. 

Does Marvel Chipping on a Darker graded book like AF15 or IH1 affect price much?

I presume there is not much price difference between OW/W and OW?

Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, dikran1 said:

Honestly, who cares about what shade of white the inner pages are, the book is slabbed. To me, it’s a useless modifier, unless the pages are brittle. 

i care and many collectors do too. by your logic, green labels for missing parts inside a book shouldnt matter either.

white pages are to me, the closest to a time machine i can get. feels like the book could almost be new, in spite of not being a 9.8 or whatever. it's also worth more when i sell books. and i like less words on the label too.

13447676-6A7C-4EA0-81F8-3FF2FEC8AFC5.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

Does Marvel Chipping on a Darker graded book like AF15 or IH1 affect price much?

Thanks for your help.

Similar to PQ, chipping will be a big turn off to some buyers.  Two equal books, one with chipping, one without, the one without will command more.

Collecting comics started long before CGC started putting them in plastic and assigning a grade. People really cared about the overall book and that's why we have these nuances.  Collectors look for PQ and presentation as part of their evaluation. 

In recent years we've all become grade obsessed.  And there is nothing wrong with that. It brought uniformity in evaluating comics and really cracked down on restored or manipulated books. 

But there is more to a comic than the number. And over time you'll develop your own preferences. 

I'm a date stamp junky. I love them! And I would buy a copy with a great date stamp, over a copy with better PQ. That's just me. 

8 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i care and many collectors do too. by your logic, green labels for missing parts inside a book shouldnt matter either.

white pages are to me, the closest to a time machine i can get. feels like the book could almost be new, in spite of not being a 9.8 or whatever. it's also worth more when i sell books. and i like less words on the label too.

13447676-6A7C-4EA0-81F8-3FF2FEC8AFC5.jpeg

This is yours?

Nice copy

Agreed -- everyone is different and has personal preferences others could not care less about.  For myself, though, the 'grade' has become the least important factor in my SA key collection.  Eye appeal (and page quality, I admit) are the keys for me.  I have books with numbers on them from 3.5 to 9.4 and every one of them is a keeper.  

My advice is to set your standard and try not to deviate from it so long as you can afford it.

Dan

Just now, Drummy said:

Agreed -- everyone is different and has personal preferences others could not care less about.  For myself, though, the 'grade' has become the least important factor in my SA key collection.  Eye appeal (and page quality, I admit) are the keys for me.  I have books with numbers on them from 3.5 to 9.4 and every one of them is a keeper.  

My advice is to set your standard and try not to deviate from it so long as you can afford it.

Dan

I agree

When I first started collecting I was 9.8 trigger happy, and that really put me in a box in terms of collecting. Some 9.8s have horrible wraps, poor bindary ect ect. A book has to look good, I have an 8.5 asm 50 with decent staple placement whereas I have seen 8.5s with horrible staple placement

9 hours ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

Thanks for your help.

Marvel chipping is a huge turn off for some people. Plus you have the added debate of how to grade for it. Many suggest that CGC overgrades a bit on those books.
I would avoid Marvel chipping, unless you are getting a good deal.
OW/W and OW has for the most part little to no price difference. 

White pages is usually a bonus. High gloss, good centering, rich colors and white backs all contribute to possible bonus prices.

Cream pages can be a problem, especially on late silver and higher. Tan is bad. 
Date stamps are a plus for some people and a minus for others.

Edited by Rip

I posted this elsewhere in response to a similar (same?) quesiton.  Wreck-it Ralph asked about the expected impact on price on dark cover books like AF15 and IH#1, not individual preferences, as helpful as they might be.  

If he is referring to a seller's ability to fetch current GPA at the time of sale, MC has had zero effect on books like AF15 and IH#1 the past year.   All copies with MC that have sold in the past 12 months that we know of (and by that I mean sales via eBay, Heritage Auction, ComicLink, Commic Connect, but not Instragram or Facebook b/c I don't know about that) have generally all sold for more than GPA at the time, usually significantly more.  Even recently, the 4.5, 4.0, and 3.0 AF15s that sold on eBay and set new GPA highs all had at least moderate MC.  Unless  he's Gates, I am assuming he was referring to mid- and lower grades.  

Even IH#1.   The 6.0 that sold on eBay on 3/8 for $35,601 had some MC and it too set a GPA high by a huge margin.   A 6.0 had most recently sold (according to GPA)  for "only" $25,750 in November 2019.   The 4.0 IH#1 on the C-Link exchange already has a $15K bid on it, and it has minimal MC.  That is a seemingly strong price for a nice book, but then again, the book has been so undervalued for long.  It could likely go for quite a bit more.   Regardless, the bid is consistent with all the above.  

And like folks already said, OW, OW/W, W not much difference except W might for big key fetch a bump, or not.   More likely with older books.  

Edited by Pantodude