• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

Not sure if I posted this, but recently finished paying this one off.

] nice greens. Those greens are hard to find deep colored on an Xmen 1...you sure are paying off alot of books lol

Just one now! :grin:

:banana:

35lg4ci.jpg

That cover is so white! Great looking 7.0. :applause:

I agree, I really like this copy. Congrats !

Congrats! :headbang:

Great looking book!

Maybe it's just me (I'm not much of a SS guy), but there's something organic about non-certified signatures..........

35lg4ci.jpg

That cover is so white! Great looking 7.0. :applause:

I agree, I really like this copy. Congrats !

Very nice book :applause:

I didn't even notice the non-certified sig before. Was this from before the green label became a thing?

Regardless, this is a gorgeous book & I'm truly envious!

I didn't even notice the non-certified sig before. Was this from before the green label became a thing?

CGC can give non-certified signatures a blue label but the grade will be affected (downwards) by the 'writing on cover'. Alternative, they can qualify the signature (Green label) and grade the book without the 'writing on cover' penalty.

I believe that's right.

They downgrade for that?

Writing (of any kind) is a defect. That's why the SS grades are considered "Qualified" grades, a SS book without the writing would theoretically grade higher and be in a blue label.

My ticket - and still one of my favorite books that I own :) If it wasn't for that piece out of the front cover it would likely be a 4.0. One day I shall upgrade ..... maybe

XM1%20FC_zps0uuk7vou.jpg

Edited by Chillax23

I prefer these type of sigs which are easier to read.

Isn't it nice to see a legible Stan Lee signature? That looks great, with great placement.

Agreed. Like how Stan's sig on Ankur's book is legible and a thin pen was used.

Any idea what the book would have grade without the "uncertified" sig? Would it have graded a 7.5 or higher?

CGC can give non-certified signatures a blue label but the grade will be affected (downwards) by the 'writing on cover'. Alternative, they can qualify the signature (Green label) and grade the book without the 'writing on cover' penalty.

I believe that's right.

From my understanding you are correct. I have an ASM 300 with an uncertified sig by Mcafarlane on the first page. It is a blue label 9.8, which makes me think that the book would have graded a 9.9 without the sig.

I believe that's right.

That is correct.

They downgrade for that?

Writing (of any kind) is a defect. That's why the SS grades are considered "Qualified" grades, a SS book without the writing would theoretically grade higher and be in a blue label.

I don't think that's correct.

If the signature is witnessed by a CGC witness, the book is graded as though the sig is not there.

If the book is not witnessed by a CGC witness, the book is graded with the sig treated as writing on the cover.

That's my understanding.

I believe that's right.

From my understanding you are correct. I have an ASM 300 with an uncertified sig by Mcafarlane on the first page. It is a blue label 9.8, which makes me think that the book would have graded a 9.9 without the sig.

I believe your book can grade a 9.8 with an unauthorized sig on the inside of the book.

I wouldn't bet that this is the only thing keeping it from a 9.9. There could be additional defects. 9.9 grades are usually only handed out to flawless specimens (and we're talking about near microscopic flaws including limits to production defects).