• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BRITTLE and SLIGHTLY BRITTLE pages - what's your opinion?

96 posts in this topic

Around 1987, when I would have been about 13, I bought a copy of Magic Comics with Dagwood on the cover. It looked beautiful in the polybag. When I took it out to read it, the pages were brittle, cracking and crumbling on the edges as I turned the pages. I was disgusted. I would rather have no copy of a book than have a copy with even slightly brittle pages. With slabbed books, I try to stick to WHITE or OFF-WHITE-TO-WHITE. I'll do OFF-WHITE if a book if scarce, or if it has an old-style label (because I think the standards used to be tighter), but I've never purchased a CREAM-TO-OFF-WHITE slabbed book, nor would I.

this is almost my philosophy, as well, but for silver.

p.s.--just violated my s.a. philosophy, by grabbing a c/ow book. but it's a big apple ped copy, and in my search for one the last few months, i was stunned by how many were c/ow, and even l.t./ow. so i got a pretty 9.4 avengers, and will just grant the book special dispensation, which i can do, dammit.

Around 1987, when I would have been about 13, I bought a copy of Magic Comics with Dagwood on the cover. It looked beautiful in the polybag. When I took it out to read it, the pages were brittle, cracking and crumbling on the edges as I turned the pages. I was disgusted. I would rather have no copy of a book than have a copy with even slightly brittle pages. With slabbed books, I try to stick to WHITE or OFF-WHITE-TO-WHITE. I'll do OFF-WHITE if a book if scarce, or if it has an old-style label (because I think the standards used to be tighter), but I've never purchased a CREAM-TO-OFF-WHITE slabbed book, nor would I.

I think this is a bit harsh given how erratic CGC is with page quality. What is OW one day is C/OW the next and OW/W the day after. Pressing doesn't change PQ but pressed books often come back with a different PQ on the label.

I have no problem owning a slightly brittle book, as most of the time, the majority of the book can be cr/ow or better and very supple, but has one isolated area of "issue"...

even certain brittle books are actually quite nice... I think it is really lack of understanding cgc's pq designation that has made folks form these "stay away at all cost" opinions...

I would hazard a guess that I could show many folks an ow/w book that actually got a cgc slightly brittle designation (ciorac knows the More Fun I am referring too).... shocking to some, but the reality is many folks just don't "understand"...

now, I am not talking about every book...some designated as brittle are actually very brittle... but others designated as brittle are really nothing of the sort (IMO)

I have no problem owning a slightly brittle book, as most of the time, the majority of the book can be cr/ow or better and very supple, but has one isolated area of "issue"...

even certain brittle books are actually quite nice... I think it is really lack of understanding cgc's pq designation that has made folks form these "stay away at all cost" opinions...

I would hazard a guess that I could show many folks an ow/w book that actually got a cgc slightly brittle designation.... shocking to some, but the reality is many folks just don't "understand"...

now, I am not talking about every book...some designated as brittle are actually very brittle... but others designated as brittle are really nothing of the sort (IMO)

+1

I've submitted some books that came back as brittle or slightly brittle. Of course, I flipped through each book before submission and was surprised by the PQ designation from CGC. All were readable and could be handled. Oftentimes, it appeared to be confinded to a small area, perhaps where a piece out of the cover had resulted in exposure to the interior pages.

One of the most inconsistent areas of CGC's grading is page quality. Many old label books with cream to off-white page designation are very nice. I cracked a Brave & Bold 49, Pacific Coast old label book with the cream to off-white designation and the pages would certainly be considered off-white to white by CGC standards today. I have also cracked out many off-white to white label books to find slight edge tanning to the pages or interior covers. That being said, I like fresh white paged books and have passed up many desirable comics because of creamy paper or edge tanning.

Ken

I've broken out a number of brittle or slightly brittle books and have been amazed at how nice the page quality is. Generally there will be some sort of spine split, and yes the paper isn't as supple as a pedigree book but there is a definite wide range of subjectiveness here.

If there were a hard to find or valuable book that had even brittle pages designated, it might be a good way to get a discount, especially if you wanted to break it out or resubmit it.

Ed

From my perspective, owning a "brittle" book is fine if (1) it's a book in my "forever" collection and (2) I've been able to inspect the interior.

The biggest concern I have purchasing a brittle designated book is its resale potential. Much like a trimmed book, there are great deals to be had, but they aren't easily moved (at least in my observation/experience).

I've broken out a number of brittle or slightly brittle books and have been amazed at how nice the page quality is. Generally there will be some sort of spine split, and yes the paper isn't as supple as a pedigree book but there is a definite wide range of subjectiveness here.

If there were a hard to find or valuable book that had even brittle pages designated, it might be a good way to get a discount, especially if you wanted to break it out or resubmit it.

Ed

the book below was owned by me for many years before i decided to slab it. bought it off the 'bay as s.r., due to some c.t. it was sent to mattie to scrape it off, and he told me it might go s. brittle because of some slight page splitting at the very bottom of the spine. before that, it had been thumbed up by innumerable geeks, and tho' obviously not a book with great paper, had never presented a problem. i leave my books in slabs, so it's not going to be handled anymore, and, frankly, this book doesn't bother me in the least with the pq designation it has. plus, i got if for a song, which doesn't hurt.

mmen1.jpg

I did an ebay search and a few look OK. I'd be willing to take a chance on this Cap 19. Sure the bottom corner might have a bit is paper missing and maybe some very minor flaking but it looks totally readable and typical of a G/VG.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-America-Comics-19-CGC-3-0-1942-Timely-Syd-Shores-Cover-Hitler-Tojo-App-/150996547080?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2328187608

but not this Green lantern 1 - this looks a bit cooked and ready to fall apart.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-Lantern-1-CGC-2-5-1941-BEAUTY-Golden-Age-Grail-Purcell-Nodell-Art-/221194882939?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item33803e0f7b

PQ is the the biggest area of inconsistency with CGC, and it's too bad the "Tan" or "brittle" designation carries such stigma. As has been mentioned, often it's really not as bad as it sounds.

I remember looking at a Cap #3 at a show a few years ago, and it there was literally dust form where the paper was disintegrating in the bottom the inner well.

Unfortunately inside the holder it's often hard to determine if you are getting a well done book like that or one with a bad corner on a few pages or a stiff spine that has cracked a little.

one of my biggest regrets was not going after that Action 1 cgc 1.8 with brittle pages a few years ago... yes, the designation was "brittle", but was the entire page brittle, or just the extremeties... lots to consider

You mean this one?

Mainly the Extremities, although once you got into the book, the PQ overall was fairly decent.

There was certainly risk for the owner of it being even worse though.

If that's possible. :eek:

fa924684.jpg

9b706d55.jpg

683921fe.jpg

This was my unexpected surprise from CGC at WW Chicago a couple or three years ago. Very nice looking book. Both Classics and I missed the brittle part.

Torchy3_zps228697d8.jpg

Just got this back I was surprised to see the Slightly Brittle. Tan sure, but brittle? I used this to scan the interior John Carter pages back when I was posting them all here. They couldn't been too brittle. ???

Funnies30CGC35_zps2e2bf32e.jpg

Here's my Tec 33 before slabbing. Came back 1.5 Slightly Brittle. The pages actually look C/OW when you turn the splash page. Before I submitted, GAtor mentioned to me any signs of flaking (which results in brittleness) will probably result in SB pages. He was dead on.

I think CGC takes it to the extreme when grading a book SB. One page does not make a book.

135160.jpg.5df0b10cb1193d36f5766b891892f2c5.jpg

135161.jpg.0ada2dd21349230af600e02a0c80926f.jpg

135162.jpg.b58953ee14ee829eb69bd7df9f4297c7.jpg

I would hazard a guess that I could show many folks an ow/w book that actually got a cgc slightly brittle designation (ciorac knows the More Fun I am referring too).... shocking to some, but the reality is many folks just don't "understand"...

Hi Rick,

I am going to have to disagree with you Rick. It is not a matter of understanding, it is a question of trust in CGC and certain collectors not being willing to roll the dice. If we are talking $5, no big deal. If we are talking $20k, not worth the risk to me.