• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$104.3 Mill for that?

45 posts in this topic

From AOL News:

(Feb. 3) – A sculpture by Swiss artist Alberto Giacometti broke the world record price for a work of art sold at auction, fetching an astounding $104.3 million Wednesday.

Titled "Walking Man 1," Giacometti's Impressionistic, 6-foot-tall bronze was sold by Sotheby's in London to an undisclosed buyer.

The piece itself looks like a slapped together twisted stick figure to me.

Is this hobby such a small gnat on the back of a rat on the foot of an elephant that we can never ever hope for a book to sell in the mill+ range? But fine art, whatever the distinction is, has seemingly limitless funds for not the piece of art itself, but the statement, this is an xxx mill dollar thing?

It wouldn't be the book itself, it'd be the original art.

If there were 1 and only 1 copy of 'tec 27 or Action 1 or AF 15, then yeah, we could talk 10s of millions, but so long as that uniqueness is (relatively speaking) lacking, it's not happening in this hobby, and that's fine with me. Just because it's a visual medium doesn't mean it needs to be compared up and down to the art collecting industry.

I have zero interest in original art to key books. Most comic collectors have little interest in OA. They want the comic.

The parallel is that OA and this stick figure would both be unique 1 of 1's. But the thread is about comping 2 different things, an original fine art, and a high end comic.

Just because it's a visual medium doesn't mean it needs to be compared up and down to the art collecting industry.

Need? No need in anything on board, but since it is a comic collecting board, it makes sense that all sorts of topics will come up, but the central theme will be revolving around comics. If this happened to be a ship in the bottle collecting board, then we may be asking about market values of ship in bottles compared to fine art, or sports cars, or a good sandwhich. But on this board, it makes sense to comp to comics.

By the way, I would trade a ship in the bottle for a good Shrimp Po Boy sandwhich.

I have zero interest in original art to key books. Most comic collectors have little interest in OA. They want the comic.

The parallel is that OA and this stick figure would both be unique 1 of 1's. But the thread is about comping 2 different things, an original fine art, and a high end comic.

Just because it's a visual medium doesn't mean it needs to be compared up and down to the art collecting industry.

Need? No need in anything on board, but since it is a comic collecting board, it makes sense that all sorts of topics will come up, but the central theme will be revolving around comics. If this happened to be a ship in the bottle collecting board, then we may be asking about market values of ship in bottles compared to fine art, or sports cars, or a good sandwhich. But on this board, it makes sense to comp to comics.

By the way, I would trade a ship in the bottle for a good Shrimp Po Boy sandwhich.

Whether you want it or not (and for the record, I don't collect OA), OA is the more analogous of the two mediums (high end comics or OA), and truthfully isn't so detached from the comic collecting hobby as to ignore it completely.

Now, to your original point, yes, comparing this sculpture sale to the general state of the comic industry is irrelevant and unnecessary.

I think the OA guys would beg to differ with you. Case in point, the best copy of GL #76 is a $30K book with probably ten or maybe fewer bidders at that level. There would be many times that number of bidders on the OA to GL #76 at the $30K level, and it would not hit the ten or fewer number until the $100K mark.

There are a lot of billionaires out there.

If you read the article, it had a pre-auction valuation was 12 to 18 million pounds. Considering the final auction was 65 million pounds, it went for 3.6x the high estimate.

It only takes two billionaires to get into a bidding war.

Not out of line with existing 9.6 to 9.8 multiples actually. (shrug)

it was an edition of like 6, I think.

5 of them owned by an institution/museum, except for the one that was up for sale, owned at one time by Sidney Janis. One of the high under bidders stated that he waited 40 years for it to come onto the market.

Almost makes that Picasso, boy with a pipe that sold a few years ago for the new record at the time of about 104 million, seem like a pretty sweet deal. Actually, one of the very few rose period paintings not owned by an institution, as it was held for several decades within the dealers family, and certainly one of kind, stellar example of that period. Seems to me this painting should have been multiples of the Giacometti's cast edition.

picassoboywithpipe.jpg

If you think that makes no sense, Check out this "painting" by Appropriations artist Richard Prince from the Night Nurse series. These paintings have sold in the millions....

Richard-Prince-729507.jpg

Hey! Look where he got it from...

avatikiss.jpg

The going rate for an Avati original is in the 4 figure range.

Richard Prince (of Theives) makes an enlarged print and just paints out the type from the book, adds stupid stuff (making it actually worse) and the painting is now in demand for millions... Go figure doh!

If you think that makes no sense, Check out this "painting" by Appropriations artist Richard Prince from the Night Nurse series. These paintings have sold in the millions....

Richard Prince - Night Nurse

Hey! Look where he got it from...

James Avati

The going rate for an Avati original is in the 4 figure range.

Richard Prince (of Theives) makes an enlarged print and just paints out the type from the book, adds stupid stuff (making it actually worse) and the painting is now in demand for millions... Go figure doh!

Astounding. Even more blatant than a certain Lichtenstein.