• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

General question

273 posts in this topic

Bob, just my 2c

I haven't bought from you as I won't pay $44 to ship a $35 book Priority International. It just doesn't cost that much.

Actually, I'll defend Bob here. Flat rate boxed shipping via Priority Mail International (if that's what Bob's using) costs $41.28, so $44 is very fair.

I can honestly say I don't think I've ever paid $40+ for one slab to be shipped to the UK.

Maybe some sellers are eating part of the shipping cost? (shrug)

[EDIT] - or as you already said. lol

I think they went by weight, not using the flat rate. I'm sure the lowest I've paid is $27, but averaging around $32. It seems about right as I can ship tracked, insured and signed for to anywhere in the States for $24.

I Haven't bought from Bob (yet), but have continually heard here on the boards how if you buy a raw VF from him, it is actually a VF. That right there means the world to me. If I hear a dealer takes grading seriously and is more on the strict side consistenly, then that seals the deal. There's nothing more aggravating than discovering someone either doesn't know how to grade or is careless or worse. I realize grading is subjective and there's the plus or minus factor, but what I'm referring to is gross misgrading and it happens all the time as we know (even here on the boards :whatthe:).

International shipping is vastly more expensive than it used to be. It's not the fault of the sellers.

I've used bob twice, and both times his shipping costs have been actual costs.

sadly the increase in shipping costs has been the biggest factor in my purchasing coming to an almost complete halt.

$40 on a $200-$300 slab is just too much of a hit, and that's primarily the range I'm looking at.

Was this too hard to say? - OK then - your prices are too high, and there are rarely scans of books. Your books would generally not sell here because people cannot see what they are buying and the prices are way more than what I am used to paying for similarly graded books.

Similarly CGC graded books or raw?

$44 I'm assuming to England is Flat rate international.

Priority international is $31.05 for up to 2 lbs.

US post office is generally the cheapest way for me to ship overseas. Fedex rates are normally double.

That's the way to go Bob (thumbs u

I Haven't bought from Bob (yet), but have continually heard here on the boards how if you buy a raw VF from him, it is actually a VF. That right there means the world to me. If I hear a dealer takes grading seriously and is more on the strict side consistenly, then that seals the deal.

One of the big reasons I've bought from Bob and will do so again in the future. Also, with regards to offers and such, at least he will deal with you. Unlike a seller like Metro who despite having a "make a bid" system in place never really gives any significant discount.

And as far as wonky web site navagation is concerned, if I can find what I need on Doug Sulipa's web site, I can find anything. lol

Bob, here is some feedback out of left field.

While your site is Highgradecomics.com, you no longer specialize in high grade comics. The niche that you worked so hard to carve out for yourself seems to be just another part of the overall picture. I remember when I frequented your site back in the day, high grade Bronze and Silver were pretty much what there was. Occasionally, a Golden Age book or two as well.

Now, its a one-stop shop for everything from low to high grade, Golden Age to Moderns. And while that's great, I think you lose a bit of what made your business model special because you're basically now like a Harley Yee, or Al Stoltz, or another one of a dozen other guys that carry a general inventory. And as I'm looking through some of your listings, I see a lot of mid grade stuff I have to sort through before I can find the high grade stuff. Perhaps a search feature that allows a buyer to search by "minimum grade" is warranted?

The money you make on a mid grade book pays the bills just as well as the profit from a high grade sale, but the problem with being willing to carry an inventory that accomodates every kind of buyer is all the quality money you have tied up in books that said buyer can easily find somewhere else. (shrug)

I would love to buy from you again, I love the Phantom Lady I got from you. I come to your booth each time trying to find something and there was a book I looked at over and over again...but the "offer" thing turns me off. I just never know when I am making too high an offer, when I'll embarrass someone (myself) by offering too little, but sometimes when the same book I am looking at during 4 shows is still there, I wonder. Figuring out your real price point makes me uncomfortable.

I tried looking at your website, but the "bid" option, totally confused me, and the search system is unwieldy, so I stopped looking, there is just too much stuff around I can find.

For me, what would help is a specific "Sale" section, with bottom line prices. Personally, I tend to bargain shop, and if I KNOW it's your bottom line, I can make better decisions. I've gone home from the past few cons without spending 20% of the cash I've brought because I just don't enjoy the "game".

I also know that you do have lower grade books, or at least midgrade books, but when I suggest to friends we stop at your booth, the "HighGrade" title turns them away. Once, a long time ago, I found a really nice stack of books in one of your lowgrade boxes, I was thrilled....and it kept me coming back, but at shows, lately, you state you haven't bothered bringing them.

I suppose one higher sale is better than a few lower ones, but you would get more traffic.

This forum notwithstanding, there are quite a few people looking for affordable copies.

Too many auction sites, just be yourself.

I think Shin's advice on your website was very well put, I agree with many of his points.

What would it take for you to make my site the place to buy from?

Accept any bid?

Lower my prices to what?

Clearly state that I will wholesale large amounts of books to interested buyers?

Run auctions?

List all my inventory on Comiclink and call it a day?

Just a couple of points (that you may already know... not directed at anything specific about your site)...

-- The guide is overpriced on anything but truly high grade, hard to find items.

-- To sell anything other than high grade books on the internet you have to price them at the bottom of the barrel. A 6.5 copy of FF 35, while a nice book, is not going to sell at guide because there are a million of them out there.

-- The increase in median price on books (not just on your site) has shut out a lot of people who would buy runs.

-- On books that don't have legs, price them to move without making people ask for a discount. Of course they will ask... meh If Chuck does one thing right it's the "discounting" thing (even though his prices are insane). He shows one price then shows the "discounted" price. People already think they are getting a deal. Take this philosophy and apply it to real word prices and you will sell things. It works in retail (not specifically comics) stores all the time. Just have a slight markdown visible and people are happy. "$650 NOW $550" attracts a whole lot more people than "$550" sitting all by itself.

-- (This is one that a lot of retailers miss) Price books at replacement cost + your profit margin not at sunk cost + profit. i.e. Book A cost you $80 and you want 30% on it so you mark it at $105... and it sits because, due to the decreasing prices on the market, people can now buy it for $75. You don't want to sell it for $75 b/c that's a $5 loss. Let's say you, being Bob, can get a replacement of it for $50... because you're on the wholesale end. Mark book A at $50 plus 30%... $65. That's $10 less than Average Joe can get it on the street and you will move it fast. Combine that with the markdown point above and you have $80 NOW $65... you have a winner.

I appreciate the feedback and will make changes to the website.

I initially designed the website so forgive my 1st/2nd generation style.

I will say it's very hard to read some of your comments and not get defensive.

What website do you feel has clean navigation?

I don't find comiclink particularly clean to use. Pedigree isn't fast either. All take multiple clicks to get somewhere.