• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

General question

273 posts in this topic

When you come into New Arrivals you can change the view to having all books appear on one page.

The dropdown menu works within that view

I have already sent my web guy a note to make all new arrivals show on one page as the default.

We kept the titles on the left side for navigation purposes if you want to use that also.

Are the dropdown filters too small?

Or I'm guessing you don't like dropdown boxes where you can filter the results?

New in Last: 1 day 7 days 15 days 30 days Pedigrees Only Scans Only

They're not too small, nor do I particularly dislike them, they just don't give me a recent list as useful as ComicLink/Pedigree. If the "New" column showed the date instead of the word "new", my favorite shortcut to your site would be to recent Fantastic Fours sorted by date added descending. With the sort being by title/issue, I have to look at a list of books and think, "did I already see this book or this book or this book or this book three days ago and decide I didn't want it for (fill in my idiosyncratic reason here)." On ComicLink, I never have to think that way...I do on Pedigree because it doesn't list dates. But at least I know Pedigree is listing by date added in descending order, so I just keep scrolling/paging until I see a book I remember seeing before...but sometimes I can't remember if I've seen a book before, which is my gripe with them not listing date added. On your site there is no date added sort, only a filter with a course 1/7/15/30 day granularity.

This is a fine-tuning thing that only becomes useful when new books are getting listed multiple times per day, it'd be far down my list if I was prioritizing enhancements. It's an easy programming task though--either add "Date Listed" explicitly as a column, or just make it the default ORDER BY on the SQL query.

I also sent that request to my web guy to add date/time stamp to the listing.

There are some things that will be quick fixes and some will take some time.

There has been a lot of good stuff in here and I do appreciate it.

Bob

Are the dropdown filters too small?

Or I'm guessing you don't like dropdown boxes where you can filter the results?

New in Last: 1 day 7 days 15 days 30 days Pedigrees Only Scans Only

They're not too small, nor do I particularly dislike them, they just don't give me a recent list as useful as ComicLink/Pedigree. If the "New" column showed the date instead of the word "new", my favorite shortcut to your site would be to recent Fantastic Fours sorted by date added descending. With the sort being by title/issue, I have to look at a list of books and think, "did I already see this book or this book or this book or this book three days ago and decide I didn't want it for (fill in my idiosyncratic reason here)." On ComicLink, I never have to think that way...I do on Pedigree because it doesn't list dates. But at least I know Pedigree is listing by date added in descending order, so I just keep scrolling/paging until I see a book I remember seeing before...but sometimes I can't remember if I've seen a book before, which is my gripe with them not listing date added. On your site there is no date added sort, only a filter with a course 1/7/15/30 day granularity.

This is a fine-tuning thing that only becomes useful when new books are getting listed multiple times per day, it'd be far down my list if I was prioritizing enhancements. It's an easy programming task though--either add "Date Listed" explicitly as a column, or just make it the default ORDER BY on the SQL query.

I've always thought the drop down to separate the new listings into periods was the site's best feature. I think it could be amended to give a New Listing selection like Pedigree and Worldwide do but being able to see a list of titles added in the last day or week really cuts out weeding through titles I have no interest in.

I agree, filtering on titles makes ComicLink and Bob's new listing features nicer than Pedigree and Worldwide. I still like it less than sorting on date added; it ends up not mattering too much for Bob and Pedigree since neither site appears to list new books in the volume ComicLink does.

I also sent that request to my web guy to add date/time stamp to the listing.

There are some things that will be quick fixes and some will take some time.

There's only so many columns you can include, that'd be the only potential challenge to a developer (or you if you prefer to take that much control over design). Note ComicLink's solution--they increase their book row sizes a bit and summarize several things about a book in several different lines, including date listed, which isn't in its own column, it's shown below the title/issue/other info. If there isn't enough room to list all the columns you want, this is the way to fit more info into grid-style listings, go to multiple rows per item.

Personally I'm not a fan of drop down menus when searching for new books. I prefer Comiclink, Pedigree's and WW's "new arrivals" section where I can just flip from one page to the next [easier for stuff to catch my eye] Also, if I go back there after a few days I can usually tell what's been added since I last looked. I get the feeling WorldWide sells a lot of raw books because they consistently scan new issues and they appear to sell. C-Link on the other hand that's not really their bag, they are know for slabbs, same goes for Pedigree. Bob I think you have a good mix of both.

Have you tried something like Google Analytics? There are tools out there that can tell you where people are dropping off of your website - you can also experiment with different site outlays and measure the change in site abandonment, time spent on site, conversions, etc.

What would it take for you to make my site the place to buy from?

Accept any bid?

Lower my prices to what?

Clearly state that I will wholesale large amounts of books to interested buyers?

Run auctions?

List all my inventory on Comiclink and call it a day?

Everything I've read on the boards over the years, including your own posts, makes me think HighGradeComics.com would be a top pick for straightforward safe consumer-friendly buying. That seems like Job-1, establishing trust, so the rest would be making it inviting and easy to buy.

So, for what its worth, my 2c ...

Arriving at the webstore the first thing a buyer sees is: "Welcome to the website dedicated to the Buying and Selling of High Grade Comics"

Well, being honest here, that may translate into Highest Grade or High End books (which is very different than high demand comics of any grade). If someone's focus isn't top-tier investment, label-chase, best-registry, Scoop-press-release type collecting, they may quickly move on. It communicates: "Expensive" or "Exclusive Boutique" (as opposed to an inventory-rich store with "must buy or it's gone" pricing, where you're sure to find something.)

Having gained a buyer's trust and gotten them to your front door, that's not the time to communicate "Sure you're in the right store?" with an over-emphasis on "high grade" (even though it's the store name). Honestly, I think the wording "dedicated to" may be too strong, unless that's all you offer.

2c:)

Have you tried something like Google Analytics?

This is one of the best-kept "secrets" out there. Analytics is free, easy to integrate into a site, and shows you GREAT usage statistics on your visitors, the type you'd expect to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars per year for. The stuff Google gives away for free is mind-blowing...

Everything I've read on the boards over the years, including your own posts, makes me think HighGradeComics.com would be a top pick for straightforward safe consumer-friendly buying. That seems like Job-1, establishing trust, so the rest would be making it inviting and easy to buy.

I completely forgot Bob did consignments via an automated interface until this thread. To compete with ComicLink I think you need an edge--and nobody's found it yet. Site usability enhancements won't do it, the business model is where ComicLink would have to get beaten. You can see site features ComicConnect keeps trying to add to lure you in--bulk listing uploads, want lists, "show off my comics," etc--but none of them have been compelling enough yet. For features to beat ComicLink being first to market (well maybe not sooner than Roter, but with significantly better features than he had back in the 1990s), they would have to be AWFULLY compelling...certainly moreso than any sites have tried to date.

Until someone comes up with some can't-live-without features, beating ComicLink on the 10% consignment fee is the only way I can see them getting unseated. The way most web companies compete on price like that is via creative income sources or business models--that's how Google has made their living. There could be a "give something away free, get money in the background like this" model Google is using right now that could apply to comics, studying the way they do business is fascinating. Perhaps the comics market is just too small for there to be significant alternative sources of income aside from direct profit on your own inventory or consignment fees? I doubt it...

OK, here's how I spend my money:

Auction houses are getting most of my money because of the no reserve auction and my BELIEF that if I don't bid on that item, it will be a while before I find it again or find it in that condition. My feeling is your site is primarily Silver Age and Bronze Age, and if I miss out on something, it will probably show up again soon.

I cruise Superworld's site a lot because he has Golden Age and he "teases" you by setting a price for 30 days before you can make an offer. So I play that 30 day waiting game hoping it still is there and then I pounce on it and make an offer on the 31 st day.

If you want me to go to your site more often, I would need something to "tease" or attract me. More scans would be nice. I do understand the "bid now" function, but I can see how people are a bit confused by it.

One thing that you do (but have ignored lately) is the "Rants and Raves". You have a ton of knowledge in the comic retailing business. Please tell us about it. How was your experience with a new convention? Is San Diego getting better or worse for you? Are you going to see a new collection? Did you receive a batch of new CGC boks? Why not keep a history file of your old columns? Whatever happened to that picture of you when you applied at Metro? I think you had long blonde hair at that time, right?

If I hang out at your convention booth for five or ten minutes chewing the fat, I kind of feel that I should look through your boxes and buy something. Make me feel that same feeling when I visit your web site.

I have to say that most comic dealer website are bad. Bob probably has one of the better ones. I never have any problems navigating it and the 'Bid Now' function....it isn't rocket science guys.

It is true that there aren't many scans, but I prefer that since all the books of a certain title are listed on one page. Thumbnails for everything would take a long time to load. Any time that I see a book that interests me I ask Bob for a scan via e-mail and it is up within a day.

As a buyer I am looking for a few things:

- good selection

- raw books

- strictly graded

- disclosed manipulation

- trustworthiness

Bob has all these things. If you are going to bypass all that because the web interface isn't 100% you will be missing a lot.

The auction sites have a lock on CGC books, but I doubt anyone would be rushing to buy raw from them. I believe that there is a lot of opportunity for dealers with strict grading to sell raw books to guys like me, but you have to develop a reputation (which Bob has) and get the word out, i.e. advertise. I meet lots of guys at conventions who only collect raw books. Dealers should be pushing their websites to everyone who drops by their booth. If they can develop a relationship face to face with someone that normally doesn't buy on the web, that person is much more likely to buy from them than from a random site they stumble across.

Mike

I think a site redesign that had a vibrant color scheme would be a good change.

But you have to think, sometimes it is all about timing...

that's not an excuse to say the heck with it and it always nice to improve

but you know what I am sayin'...

Anyway shoot me a pm, once I am done with my other projects I might want to lend a hand

to help you set up a ultra slick look.

It's all about the wow factor man, some of the worst companies out there are still in business

because they have strong campaigns to get people to believe they are solid...

I know how to make people look good, that's my business.

(thumbs u

When you come into New Arrivals you can change the view to having all books appear on one page.

The dropdown menu works within that view

I have already sent my web guy a note to make all new arrivals show on one page as the default.

We kept the titles on the left side for navigation purposes if you want to use that also.

doh! I have been using a bookmark to look at the new in last 1 day and I never saw it. It is pretty good.

Ok, not to beat a dead horse, leave a sale up with a SOLD icon to show that stuff sells.

Oh, and as a consignor, I would like to see what books I have with you and maybe the book status if it is sold (waiting for payment, waiting for check to clear, shipped, etc).

Thanks.

Dan

I appreciate the feedback and will make changes to the website.

I initially designed the website so forgive my 1st/2nd generation style.

I will say it's very hard to read some of your comments and not get defensive.

What website do you feel has clean navigation?

I don't find comiclink particularly clean to use. Pedigree isn't fast either. All take multiple clicks to get somewhere.

For what it's worth, I like your website and hope the changes aren't too massive.

I find the navigation fine; it takes a visit or two to get used to, but that's true of any site.

The only suggestion I would make, as has been stated, is to break up the larger titles, most notably ASM, into smaller groups. (1-100, 101-200)