• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

General question

273 posts in this topic

The issue of the name in terms of branding is also a small but important issue. Amazon is a great name because it doesn't pigeonhole them into a specific category although they started out as a book store. eBay is a great name because it doesn't seem to mean anything specific. Nonspecific names therefore allows them to sell basically anything. (In your case with comics, having the word "comics" in your business name will probably help with SEO - search engine optimization.)

You've spent many years building your brand name so changing it now probably isn't a great idea. (shrug)

Don't have much to say other than I respect the fact that you're asking for, and are open to, constructive criticism. Not many people can handle that.

Don't have much to say other than I respect the fact that you're asking for, and are open to, constructive criticism. Not many people can handle that.

I just typed a similar (but more lengthy) post.

Bob, I saw your post about getting defensive about the site. Just wanted to say something:

People genuinly like you and they enjoy dealing with you. You're a real person and Lou and I (among others) can relate to that.

I think everybody is well intentioned with the advice (and there has been a ton of it that is terrific). I also think your site is one of the better sites out there.

You probably know this so it goes without saying (but I'm going to say it anyways :foryou:): you can't please everyone.

What any web designer is going to do is try to appeal to the majority in regards to functionality, ease and eye appeal. Whatever changes you implement will likely be in order to capture the majority but someone will always be in the minority.

This is a heck of a lot of great advice and some companies pay a ton of money to get feedback like this.

It was pretty bold to come out and ask the question.

Kudos for that.

(thumbs u

Can't wait to see what sort of changes you make.

R.

I personally think that the bidding thing turns me off a little. I'd rather have a buy it now price and a make offer option.

I like your website a lot. I have no problem with the name of your site. Highgradecomics.com is a great name to have and I'm sure one that a lot of sellers would love it they snagged that domain. It doesn't matter if you deal in other grades, you still sell high grade.

I emailed you about an X-men #1 5.0 the other day and got a fast response. I would love to do business with you soon! Just a matter of money being spread thin everywhere else I buy books. Like I told u though, if you have that X-men #1 still around in Boston in April, your table will be the first I go to to check it out in person. I am a serious collector of modest means, so I'd like to buy that book in person and get to really see it close up.

I think making a thread like this brought up some great points!

Great thread. Bob's observation about people generally not buying runs of books anymore is so true.

Question is why?

Dan

I can think of two reasons.

1) people don't read comics any more (CGC)

2) they are much more expensive than they used to be.

Great thread. Bob's observation about people generally not buying runs of books anymore is so true.

Question is why?

Dan

I think it has gottent too expensive so now people chase cool covers and key apperances. Think about how much cash it costs to buy a full run of Spiderman even in 8.0, think about Detective or Action. Also, why spend so much to do a run when a lot of issues in the run may be on the lame side. At $2 an issue, not a big deal but at $100, thats a lot of money.

Question is why?

Dan

I love buying runs from OO collections, even if its of crappy 80s titles.

The problem is, most worthwhile books are never sold in runs anymore, as there is just too much money left on the table by not selling individually. This is especially true if the books are worth slabbing.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I don't think you need to do anything, Bob.

I check your site constantly. I just haven't had the money lately to make any purchases (I believe I bought 5 books all last year that were $50+ books).

One was from you in B'more (well, actually, Arex bought it for me).

Three of the others were bought from funds from selling some art. The other was from selling a book.