• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

General question

273 posts in this topic

However, I miss the days when people would buy runs at a time. Nowadays you are looking at guys buying 1 or 2 issues at a time.

That's because alot of collectors are searching out true HG. Gone are the days where a VF book makes the cut. Some of us have wisened up and are good with that. But, the market typically frowns on those books.

As you like to say, everyone is a dealer. Nobody wants to get stck with the VF that is not instantly flippable.

Also, at least in my case, my collecting has changed. There was a time when I wanted complete runs. For awhile, I was trying to put together an FF run. Now, I'd just rather have a nice copy of the books I really like. Where before I wanted 50-100, now I'd just rather have 57-60 and 72-77. And I'm fine with that. I don't really "want" #83 or 68 or whatever.

I did the same when I decided to stop the FF run and go after ASM's. Instead of going for the entire run, I cut it back to Goblin covers.

It allows me to get some great examples from each run, have a nice little assorted collection. And, I don't have to spend my money on what amounts to filler books just b/c I have to have the entire run.

I did the same thing with the Fury's. I wanted the Steranko books and that's it. (I did buy 3 or 4 of the 7 from you, btw).

I agree fully with Roy and Greg. It's a combination of cost and an ever increasing focus on the cover/keys. And maybe a bit of a space issue too. I always felt bad for comic book stores--lots of them had a good amount of back issue space in the 80s but toss on another 25 years of massive Marvel and DC output and there's just no way to stock even a sizable portion of it.

Considering this is a thread about Bob's website, you might consider that Bob's site is constructed to only sell one book at a time. So buying a run would take considerably more time unless you bypassed the Bid Now mechanism and dealt directly with Bob for a run.

Great thread. Bob's observation about people generally not buying runs of books anymore is so true.

Question is why?

Dan

I think it has gottent too expensive so now people chase cool covers and key apperances. Think about how much cash it costs to buy a full run of Spiderman even in 8.0, think about Detective or Action. Also, why spend so much to do a run when a lot of issues in the run may be on the lame side. At $2 an issue, not a big deal but at $100, thats a lot of money.

Tell me about it. I am spanning 800 Detective CGC slabs, and am running out of room. Also the average cost of buying raw GA-SA in the grades I want is no longer good.

Ex: Tec2*7 can be had in 6.5 for roughly $65-80.00 where as dealers are trying to sell them raw for $130.00 because thats guide. So I am not buying a book, spending another $30.00 for grading just to fill a gap. Somewhere along the line someone will have one graded on ebay/c-link whatever and I will get it for FMV. This is the kind of thinking that gets me these days.

A HG desireable will be sold for GPA or near GPA figures, and is quoted as such by SO many sources these days. But the equivelant for "undesireables" is not found. If the books like I mentioned before were being sold the same way I would buy those mid-grade tecs from dealers sites. But pricing whichever favors is the hard hurdle. And many do this, and not just dealers.

I like Bob Storms alot. He is the nicest guy in comics, and I always frequent his site and check his booth at shows. The only difficult part for me is that I am so budgeted as a collector that I basically wait for deals or just something that I really NEED. My biggest buying is from auction these days, and not because it is a great way to get "deals" as Bob was saying. But I can pay FMV on books I bid on. I dont have to think if I overspent unless I get hammered by a shill. I am a collector first and foremost, and dont want to pay a small fortune to buy books I enjoy. I undertand that is just how the "game" is. But I will generally wait for the right books at the right prices.

Bob, your site looks great! It is easy to use, and I like it. If you ran auctions I would definitely bid, and would be a very vocal supporter as you have never done me or anyone I know any wrong.

Well that brings up another question.

Are people aware I sell Lots?

I would make more runs but frankly they don't sell.

In what increments 1-10, 1-25, CGC, Raw?

Bob,

Find me a high grade JLA #111 and Young Love #110 and I will worship you forever!

lol

Here's a substantive comment -- I'm surprised people just don't contact the dealer more directly if they are trying to work out a deal. I bought a run of Caps years ago from Bob as a lot and bought a bunch of Tremont Caps (Zeck 80s stuff) from Vinny -- I don't think I'd ever handle that sort of transaction through the website.

Likewise, there's no website where I wouldn't email the dealer directly if I was looking for a deal. I use the bid now option on Bob's site the same way I do Ted's "make an offer". If I want a major discount on a book, I usually email with my explanation as to why I think such a large discount is warranted.

He is the nicest guy in comics

Okay, I love Bob, but I doubt even he would describe himself as the nicest guy in comics.

lol

Hes my favorite dealer. He is always very polite to my wife, and always a good time to hang out with. Most others dont even remember my name. Thats why hes "Smilin' Bob Storms"

Here's a substantive comment -- I'm surprised people just don't contact the dealer more directly if they are trying to work out a deal. I bought a run of Caps years ago from Bob as a lot and bought a bunch of Tremont Caps (Zeck 80s stuff) from Vinny -- I don't think I'd ever handle that sort of transaction through the website.

Likewise, there's no website where I wouldn't email the dealer directly if I was looking for a deal. I use the bid now option on Bob's site the same way I do Ted's "make an offer". If I want a major discount on a book, I usually email with my explanation as to why I think such a large discount is warranted.

My problem with the second part is that if the price is out of line, making a FMV offer feels too much like low-balling. Which makes me feel crummy, so I dont do that.

Bob:

I'd echo the suggestions about a New Arrival link. As the website is now, it takes multiple clicks to see all the new arrivals. It would be great to have a link that lists all the new arrivals right on your homepage. I'd rather scroll through a long list of books than have to click on the link for each title.

Your want list feature is very good and easy to use. The only thing I'd say about it is to send the e-mails for matching books earlier in the day. I think they're sent pretty late at night right now. Not that it would help you sell more books, but it would give folks on the east coast a chance to see the books before they go to bed.

Design-wise, I think it might help to go with a cleaner looking homepage. Your logo banner and navigation tabs on the top of the page look good. Everything below that doesn't look as polished.

Beyond that, some marketing e-mails might not be a bad idea. Whether it's to tell people about a new collection, a special promotion, or a convention you'll be attending, it never hurts to have your name out there.

Bob:

I'd echo the suggestions about a New Arrival link. As the website is now, it takes multiple clicks to see all the new arrivals. It would be great to have a link that lists all the new arrivals right on your homepage. I'd rather scroll through a long list of books than have to click on the link for each title.

Your want list feature is very good and easy to use. The only thing I'd say about it is to send the e-mails for matching books earlier in the day. I think they're sent pretty late at night right now. Not that it would help you sell more books, but it would give folks on the east coast a chance to see the books before they go to bed.

Design-wise, I think it might help to go with a cleaner looking homepage. Your logo banner and navigation tabs on the top of the page look good. Everything below that doesn't look as polished.

Beyond that, some marketing e-mails might not be a bad idea. Whether it's to tell people about a new collection, a special promotion, or a convention you'll be attending, it never hurts to have your name out there.

I think these are all excellent suggestions.

Bob:

I really would endorse these thoughts, particularly those in bold. Looking for new arrivals is very frustrating and time consuming, to put it bluntly.

My problem with the second part is that if the price is out of line, making a FMV offer feels too much like low-balling. Which makes me feel crummy, so I dont do that.

If I am offering something exceptionally low (meaning more than 30% off the sticker price) I generally offer a few reasons why I am making the offer and lay it for the dealer. I totally understand if they reject, but here are my reasons for why I think 50% of your ask price is fair. In some cases, I think the dealer has over priced the book -- but may have a reason they either can't lower it or want to sit on it. In other cases, they accept my offer. It can't hurt to ask, and I think dealers would rather hear a well thought out offer than no offer at all. I am also very selective about how often I will make a "low ball" offer.

Barton,

The new arrivals page already has an option of generating all new arrivals on one page. One click to get to it, one click to choose the option.

I have already requested that this be the default setting. If you want title drilldown the option will still be on the left side.

I will also be cleaning up the home page.

Bob:

I really would endorse these thoughts, particularly those in bold. Looking for new arrivals is very frustrating and time consuming, to put it bluntly.

'Cause we all care what a shill thinks. :/

Absolutely great advice.

He is the nicest guy in comics

Okay, I love Bob, but I doubt even he would describe himself as the nicest guy in comics.

lol

Hes my favorite dealer. He is always very polite to my wife, and always a good time to hang out with. Most others dont even remember my name. Thats why hes "Smilin' Bob Storms"

Hey, everyone is more polite with your wife than they are with you.

:makepoint:

An offer is just an offer. It's business and nothing to feel bad about, especially if you are putting in a FMV offer. 50% off I would understand feeling bad about. FMV offer? Go for it.