• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: How I felt this Morning...

46 posts in this topic

Yep. Been shoveling off and on since last night. My dog has no idea where to pee, but he's elated over the snow!

remember stay away from the yellow snow :gossip:

You have my sense of humor! ha!

So that's where it went. :idea:

It's been a really nutty year for weather.

Kitchener is on the edge of the snow belt and for the previous 12 years that I've lived here we've had long, hard winters. Very windy, lots of snow.

This year has been relatively balmy and light. Lots of sun and I've only shoveled the driveway once. That has never happened before.

I hardly have a place to make snow angels.

:insane:

I feel for you guys that have had snow dumped on you.

:foryou:

Snow? What's that?

The only way to get cold down here in Florida is to open your freezer door.

I did have to put socks on the other day though. I think it got down to the 50's last week.

Ah, but do you remember 1989?

I was there and it was the absolutely worst traffic jam I'd ever been in. Ever.

It took us about 9 or 10 hours to drive from the Georgia border to Ocala.

Highway 75 was standing still with an additional lane on either side formed for traffic (4 lanes standing still in each direction on a normally 2 lane highway) and there were cars parked on the side of the road on a 45 degree angle like it was a parking lot. This went on for over 70 miles.

When we finally decided to pull off the expressway to take a side road down, we saw a line up at a bathroom (corner store) that was about as long as a foot ball field.

It was insane. I've never seen anything like it since.

This coming from a guy who lives in Canada where it never seems to stop snowing.

Snow? What's that?

The only way to get cold down here in Florida is to open your freezer door.

I did have to put socks on the other day though. I think it got down to the 50's last week.

Ah, but do you remember 1989?

I was there and it was the absolutely worst traffic jam I'd ever been in. Ever.

It took us about 9 or 10 hours to drive from the Georgia border to Ocala.

Highway 75 was standing still with an additional lane on either side formed for traffic (4 lanes standing still in each direction on a normally 2 lane highway) and there were cars parked on the side of the road on a 45 degree angle like it was a parking lot. This went on for over 70 miles.

When we finally decided to pull off the expressway to take a side road down, we saw a line up at a bathroom (corner store) that was about as long as a foot ball field.

It was insane. I've never seen anything like it since.

This coming from a guy who lives in Canada where it never seems to stop snowing.

Wow! That's some story. I wasn't here then. All from snow? I'm about 1 hour south of Ocala, just outside Orlando and in 16 years, I haven't even seen a flurry, though I'll say this is the coldest year I have experienced in Florida. We actually had the heat on for about a week and I heard there were reports of flurries one night but I never saw them. I kept looking out for them though.

The irony is I adore cold weather and Ice Hockey is my favorite sport by far!

You should read about it.

I've lived 39 years in a country that has a mean winter but I've never seen as much carnage as I did that night in Florida.

It was quite a trip for a 18 year old in every sense of the word.

We stopped in Detroit to buy some w**d. After about 6 hours of trying to pick some up we were finally successful and had a reasonably fun trip down....until we got busted by a cop in Florida for weaving in and out of slow moving (ie. standing still) cars.

I was driving and I think I had it in my lap when I got out of the car to talk to the police officer 'cause we never saw it after that. It must have fallen out.

He was nice enough to let us go seeing as there were more pressing matters at hand than handing out a citation for weaving in standing traffic.

I still feel really bad about it to this day. The regretful crepe we do when we're younger.

Can you say "stupid things to do while driving"?

doh!

Spent all day shoveling out my parent's long driveway again (we stay there with the kids during snowstorms). Unfortunately the snowblower died during last week's storm, so I had to dig out the 10" of heavy wet snow myself. This puts us at around 50" of snow for the season (in VA), and we had had only 33" *total* for the previous 3 years combined. My wife taught 3/4ths of one day last week, and it doesn't look good for roads being cleared by Monday. Oh, and we're getting another storm on Tuesday. Ah well.

I've lived in Maryland for almost 35 years, and this is absolutely the WORST snowstorm I have ever seen here. Getting just the driveway clear was a day-long operation...

I feel like the blizzard of 96 was worse, but then again that's when my first dog died.

Sorry to hear that Mikey.

Any notable power outages or damage reports?

At the worst of it there were close to 100,000 BGE customers without power (ours flickered but never failed; the drummer in my band lives near the airport, and he still doesn't have power after losing it at 4:00 AM on Saturday). Several buildings with flat roofs collapsed (no injuries, fortunately), and hundreds of travelers were stranded on I-95 throughout the day and night after several tractor-trailers jack-knifed. ALL flights into and out of BWI were canceled, and the airport is not likely to be open again (even to limited traffic) until Monday at the earliest. The National Guard was activated (mostly downtown), and up here in the suburbs & more rural counties we'll be lucky to have fully passable roads again by mid-week.

It's a pretty BIG mess. I spent 6 or 7 years in far northwestern PA (near Erie), where this stuff is more common. But in Baltimore, we only get whoppers like this every 3-7 years or so. Yet this year alone we've had two 21"+ snowfalls within a 2-month period. And it's only early February! Where's that damn global warming when you need it?!? :grin:

I've lived in Maryland for almost 35 years, and this is absolutely the WORST snowstorm I have ever seen here. Getting just the driveway clear was a day-long operation...

I feel like the blizzard of 96 was worse, but then again that's when my first dog died.

Yeah, that was a real monster, too. But if I remember correctly, that one came in several waves, separated by 10-12 hours (so the plows almost had a chance to catch up). This thing just dumped on us constantly for 30 straight hours or more...

Is it summer yet...?

Of all the cities I visited last year Baltimore is at the top of the check list to show my kids.

Can't wait till summer hits either!

:cry: