• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your pick for the big silver-age book of 2010?

114 posts in this topic

Interesting note: Since Showcase 22 pulled back a little, Journey Into Mystery 83 and Shiowcase 22 are valued the same in almost all grades.

I don`t think a 9.0 JIM 83 could get anywhere close to $60K.

Probably correct, because Showcase 22 9.0 is the top grade, but I think it'd have to be correlated to a similar top grade. I do think there will be a huge run up.

TTA 44 1st Wasp is a key book for two reasons to me:

1) the Wasp will almost have to be in the Avengers movie as they search for female leads

2) the Wasp is arguably the most important female character (possibly sue storm, but she was so weak for so long) in Marvel Universe history.

I hear you brian, I just have a REAL hard time getting excited about the wasp (shrug)

The Wasp. hm

Interesting note: Since Showcase 22 pulled back a little, Journey Into Mystery 83 and Shiowcase 22 are valued the same in almost all grades.

Probably correct, because Showcase 22 9.0 is the top grade, but I think it'd have to be correlated to a similar top grade. I do think there will be a huge run up.

1) the Wasp will almost have to be in the Avengers movie as they search for female leads

2) the Wasp is arguably the most important female character (possibly sue storm, but she was so weak for so long) in Marvel Universe history.

I hear you brian, I just have a REAL hard time getting excited about the wasp (shrug)

The Wasp. hm

:sick:

The Wasp. hm

I gotta disagree that the Wasp was important. She was every bit as weak as Sue Storm--she suffered the same schtick that Sue did of being "instructed" in how to use her powers by the man. Every once in a while she'd perform some good feat and Ant-man would give her the ol' "good girl." Then she'd spend the rest of her time whining about not getting enough romantic attention from him. Both characters set women's lib back years. lol

The Wasp. hm

I gotta disagree that the Wasp was important. She was every bit as weak as Sue Storm--she suffered the same schtick that Sue did of being "instructed" in how to use her powers by the man. Every once in a while she'd perform some good feat and Ant-man would give her the ol' "good girl." Then she'd spend the rest of her time whining about not getting enough romantic attention from him. Both characters set women's lib back years. lol

You need to think about the Wasp's later development too. She became the first female chairperson of the Avengers, has had a prominent role (leading to her death) in modern comics, was involved in a pretty powerful storyline (involving spousal abuse), and will play a prominent role in the next Avengers movie. Although I can totally see not getting "excited" about her, you can't just judge her on her role in the comics in the 60s. No female character had a really "powerful" attitude back then. But as you look over time, I really can't think of a female character who played as pivotal a role in the Marvel U with the possible exception of Sue Storm. Of course the real point is that when you look at value and undervalued books, the Wasp almost certainly has to be cast in the movie as they don't really have that many females they could even cast. So I'm also looking at it from a fiscal point of view.

I agree. That`s why JIM 83 was one of my picks in this thread. IF a 9.4 copy comes up for sale, I think it will establish the book clearly as the 4th most valuable SA Marvel by grade.

FTLOG! The Wasp will NOT appear in the Avengers movie! Are you serious about that? Everyone knows that Hollyweird has NEVER kept up with ANY comic timeline. There will be no Wasp. Nough Said! About the Wasp.....Ever! Really, EVER! lol!

If no wasp in the Avengers, then no Antman. Which is possible, but eventually there will be Antman somewhere, and Antman anywhere = Wasp

I personally dig the Scarlet Witch much more, but hey....

So you're saying X-Men #4... hm

FTLOG! The Wasp will NOT appear in the Avengers movie! Are you serious about that? Everyone knows that Hollyweird has NEVER kept up with ANY comic timeline. There will be no Wasp. Nough Said! About the Wasp.....Ever! Really, EVER! lol!

The Wasp appears in the Ultimates storyline, which is what the template for the Avengers movie will likely be. You can take it to the bank: The Wasp will be in.

I agree. That`s why JIM 83 was one of my picks in this thread. IF a 9.4 copy comes up for sale, I think it will establish the book clearly as the 4th most valuable SA Marvel by grade.

OK, I'll bite...what are the 3 books ahead of JIM 83 in value n 9.4?

Pretty sure it's AF15, FF1 and HULK 1 in that order...

If no wasp in the Avengers, then no Antman. Which is possible, but eventually there will be Antman somewhere, and Antman anywhere = Wasp

I personally dig the Scarlet Witch much more, but hey....

Medusa! :baiting:

Oh yeah, Medusa is awesome. In fact all the Inhumans are awesome.

them make it #5 as ASM1 has to be in front of a JIM83, just in terms of demand, right (shrug)

them make it #5 as ASM1 has to be in front of a JIM83, just in terms of demand, right (shrug)

Yeah I was thinking about that...last "recorded" ASM 9.4 went for $83,650 last August...so to say an ASM 9.4 has a shot at $100K that day will surely come...

I guess that's the question, would a JIM 83 top that?

In Census there's one 9.8, three 9.6 and six 9.4...

As for the JIM 83...one in 9.6 and three in 9.4, so it could be a slightly rarer issue in HG...seems rarer, you never see a 9.4 up for sale... (shrug)

Interesting concept of basing judgement on percentage value.

If a five dollar book goes to 200 dollars this year, then is it more financially recommended than Spidey 1, Hulk 1, or JIM 83?

Obvious answer is yes. Right?

So, start stocking up on those modern books on the shelf this week.

(oh wait. we all did that and it didn't work)

Nevermind.