• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, jeffreyk said:

That is true.  A lot of dealers and collectors want a ton of money for one.  I just feel this book is due to a spike soon.  We shall see!

It's been lagging, for sure. I think there are enough collectors out there that recognize this as underperforming and will eventually catch-up.

On 5/6/2021 at 2:15 AM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Not hard to find but hard to find at a price where you don't just walk away. So few copies, that a lot of dealers /collectors over the years who have bought well, or have plenty of cash just put a price on and park it. A 5.5 on thios would almost be high grade, as so few over it around. Very nice copy, and thank you for sharing.

I kind of disagree. 

Is anything really "hard" to find?. If you have the money you can find anything, even AC1 or Tec27

However SC4 is definitely not easy to find. And if you do find one it's hard to pry out of its owners hands unless it's a very low grade copy (think .5 -2.0) that was recently upgraded. Or high grade (7.0+) that will cost a fortune. Never mind find one with good eye appeal. 

With that said, I should be joining this club soon! It's been a long road and was finally able to secure one for my PC that is just right :) & popped up at just the right time!..:banana: 

20 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

One of my favorite books of all-time wish I pulled the trigger years ago when I had the chance.

It's never too late! The market has dried up a bit on it (took me several months of actively searching for one) but maybe with some boosted sales you'll see some more copies hit the market. There's a nice 5.0 conserved with a married page on heritage now. Curious where that ends. 

On 7/7/2021 at 6:11 PM, BoomCity said:

Time to wake this group up a bit and post my latest and favourite acquisition. Has the colour, presentation, page quality, etc I was looking for in a lower grade copy. Was lucky enough to make the deal prior to some recent auctions and eBay sales. I knew this book was prime for a bit of an uptick! 

9103F0F6-80A6-4AF5-8E8F-E2F08057BE81.jpeg

Beauty!!  -  Hard to believe but this book is still UNDER VALUED (compared to other SA keys) :cloud9:

16 hours ago, BoomCity said:

It's never too late! The market has dried up a bit on it (took me several months of actively searching for one) but maybe with some boosted sales you'll see some more copies hit the market. There's a nice 5.0 conserved with a married page on heritage now. Curious where that ends. 

I agree. if its something you want, stick with it. and if it pops up.. jump on it!...  The market for this book is almost non existent.  Where as almost all other silver age keys are readily available if you have $$$ and a little bit of time.. this one is pretty tough to locate, period. 

Normally SC 4's sit on ebay with a BIN at anywhere from 25% to 50% over recent GPAs, and they just sit there. Every now and then a new listing comes along almost always low grade 1.0-2.5 and will sell. In the last 6-8 weeks there has been a lot of SC4's listed, I think it follows the HA 5.0 sale. 4 have now sold in last 6 weeks. That is usually as many sell in six months to a year. Almost all sold as "best offer" but that was on prices well over recent GPA.

So yeah the book is on the move. Looking at what SC22's are now going for, plus positive news from the Flash movie, that it is getting a nudge along.

One funny thing is that SC4 Restored sells at much lower % than AF15, or FF1 restored sells for.

1 hour ago, Math Teacher said:

I purchased this last week from PopsComicBooks@gmail.com " last week, and it arrived on Monday. I have been so busy that I didn't get around to opening it until this morning. It may take me some time to sell my IH #181 and my GSXM #1 so I can repay our HELO account. Sooner or later, they will sell. Besides, how often to you get a chance to buy a legitimate piece of comic book history?

Showcase4.thumb.jpg.4496e3ef7b2d32d7706a09925858a2f6.jpg

Congrats Joe! 

Beautiful copy of an iconic book! 

18 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

I purchased this last week from PopsComicBooks@gmail.com " last week, and it arrived on Monday. I have been so busy that I didn't get around to opening it until this morning. It may take me some time to sell my IH #181 and my GSXM #1 so I can repay our HELO account. Sooner or later, they will sell. Besides, how often to you get a chance to buy a legitimate piece of comic book history?

Showcase4.thumb.jpg.4496e3ef7b2d32d7706a09925858a2f6.jpg

Really nice 2.0 and nice page quality. I think I looked at this copy and considered it back in the spring. Excellent addition. 

On 7/17/2021 at 4:11 AM, GAMBIT said:

:cloud9: My membership card :x

Very nice, these books are closer to GA than people understand. Back in 1956 this was a low run and only collected by a few panelologists who then started writing letters about "bring back the JSA (especially Hawkman - damm he was popular to those GA fans). Followed by three more try outs. - then SC22 and Boom superheroes were back and have never left. Took the rest of the world until Disney back in 2008 made them "really cool". 

Very nice book, I can't see any reasons he could not grade a bit higher,  .. better stop now sigh.

On 7/10/2021 at 7:10 AM, GAMBIT said:

I agree. if its something you want, stick with it. and if it pops up.. jump on it!...  The market for this book is almost non existent.  Where as almost all other silver age keys are readily available if you have $$$ and a little bit of time.. this one is pretty tough to locate, period. 

Agree, I have thought of running a WTB ad, but these come up so seldom on here I figure it would not shake any copies out. 

On 7/18/2021 at 3:44 PM, PKJ said:

Agree, I have thought of running a WTB ad, but these come up so seldom on here I figure it would not shake any copies out. 

I had one up for a few months, I didn't get any hits. Same with facebook and instagram. I had to go digging and ask owners that I could find and even then nobody wanted to sell (don't blame them in the least). I was offering over GPA in some cases and even then it didn't work as most of us can agree, those GPA numbers were "undervalued." I was lucky to find a dealer with a copy and work a deal.

I have come to the conclusion there are basically two types of collectors. One who sends a dealer a list and encloses a huge cheque, and all the rest who work very hard, looking everywhere they can and making as many contacts as they can and  being as nice as they can to everyone in the hobby they know. Congrats on your hard work paying off.