• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

On 11/6/2017 at 7:57 PM, NoMan said:

Ok I read back a few pages. The 8.5 used to be a 7.5 that sold for 100k. 

The 8.5 could reach 200k

wow. Just wow. 

The same 8.5 that 'sold' in a recent Pedigree auction?

16 hours ago, NoMan said:
17 hours ago, VintageComics said:

The same 8.5 that 'sold' in a recent Pedigree auction?

The one in the current HA auction

Right.

So the same book that sold in Pedigree for $145,000 a few weeks ago

https://www.pedigreecomics.com/auction/comic/059312/showcase-4-cgc-85-w

Is up for auction again in Heritage.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/showcase-4-the-flash-dc-1956-cgc-vf-85-white-pages/a/7169-91049.s

6 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

My tiny brain hurts. Someone bought it and within a matter of weeks is attempting a flip? 

Risky move, no?

Edited by NoMan

the 8.5 CGC says " From the Douglas Schmell PedigreeComics.com Collection. 

which more than likely didn't sell on his auction, and he moved it to HA , hoping GPA report his sell price so he can get somewhere near that.

Maybe it should say from the Douglas 'SHILL' collection..... as a large number of his books that was on his website is now on HA. 

13 hours ago, spidyfan06 said:

which more than likely didn't sell on his auction, and he moved it to HA , hoping GPA report his sell price so he can get somewhere near that.

Maybe it should say from the Douglas 'SHILL' collection..... as a large number of his books that was on his website is now on HA. 

hm  good detective work in connecting the dots 

23 hours ago, spidyfan06 said:

Highly likely. He does have a history of shilling his own reserve auctions in the past as well as auctioning off most of his collection through Heritage.

Not defending Doug or what not, but just because it says it came from the Schmell pedigreecomics collection doesn't mean it is him who is consigning to HA.  It really can be from an actual buyer and he/she just wanted to quickly flip it for more. Whether that happens or not is anyone's guess.

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Not defending Doug or what not, but just because it says it came from the Schmell pedigreecomics collection doesn't mean it is him who is consigning to HA. 

Doug has consigned nearly $1MIL in books in this auction. There's no facts but it certainly looks like it's Doug.

Anybody looking to flip a record price book a few weeks after setting a 'record' winning bid....well, that's tough to swallow.

I agree with you Roy, even if there is no conclusive hard facts behind it (thumbsu. It's really the only thing that makes sense.  I was just stating in general that even a collection recognized by CGC can be sold by others and not just the actual person who owned the collection.

53 minutes ago, geoffdude said:

Anyone have an idea of what a CGC 6.5 general value is these days?

I have one that I've been setting on for over 10 years or so.

Best,

Geoff

70k+?

Edited by G.A.tor

16 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

70k+?

Ya think?

That would be f'n' outstanding!

I love my book.. and don't have any immediate plans to part with it, but as I enter my 50's I'm starting to think more about retirement.. and what I should start to liquidate towards that end.

Best,

Geoff

Edited by geoffdude

On 1/21/2018 at 11:27 PM, geoffdude said:
On 1/21/2018 at 11:11 PM, G.A.tor said:

70k+?

Ya think?

That would be f'n' outstanding!

I love my book.. and don't have any immediate plans to part with it, but as I enter my 50's I'm starting to think more about retirement.. and what I should start to liquidate towards that end.

Best,

Geoff

I just sold GAtor's 6.5 copy, so he's right.

;- )